Quantcast

How has the subscriber count or number of posts/comments per day changed over time here at KKF?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Mariner

Reaction score
It seems that interest online is growing in kitchen knives. There are certainly more folks participating in online forums that discuss cutting, brands, favorites knives, etc. and so I'm curious how this reflects in KKF. Has growth been linear? Was there a big spike when covid began keeping folks at home?

JaVa

Reaction score
This is very subjective answer. Based on only how it looked to me and I could be absolutely off with my view.

I Haven't been around that long, but I lurked actively for maybe two-three years before joining. I think when I joined in 2016, until somewhere around 2018? That's from my experience. I recall discussions at that time about more people coming in than before.

What I've understood from the older residents here, before that KKF used to have more off a smaller community vibe.

At least I felt a marginal dip in the action about 2018? Not a huge difference though. Maybe it's been picking up speed again? And yes probably aided by covid as with everything home related has been more popular than ever before, Like interior design, home gym stuff, cooking, gardening etc. We all need something fun to do while stuck at home.

That's my cautious ball park guess?

Michi

I'm having a status just so I don't have no status
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This mirrors what I have seen as a mod on other forums. Forums for niche topics such as kitchen knives, pinball, or African drumming tend to end up with maybe three dozen active participants and two- or three-hundred occasional participants. Plus a few hundred onlookers, and the occasional stray onlooker who gets there via a Google search.

On another forum I used to be active in, less than 5% of the members accounted for >95% of the total number of posts.

Luftmensch

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice figure @Angie!

Can you produce a similar one for something like "number of members joining per month"? I don't know what it takes for the software to consider a member as "active" (maybe just login frequency?).

It feels like more people joined in 2020 than 2019 (stuck at home and bored?). But maybe that is just me stuck at home and bored ;)! If the software has a more stringent measure for determining if a member is active (e.g. one post a week), new members might not be represented in your previous graph... (either through being "active" or contributing to a higher post count)

... or perhaps they are!

Just curious :)

daveb

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderators
Reaction score
I'm guessing (and only guessing) that this line of inquiry is getting into what the owners want to treat as proprietary information

There could probably be a sexy per post, per person, per day type graph with some regression analysis thrown in but don't know what it would really tell the casual observer.

Luftmensch

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing (and only guessing) that this line of inquiry is getting into what the owners want to treat as proprietary information

There could probably be a sexy per post, per person, per day type graph with some regression analysis thrown in but don't know what it would really tell the casual observer.
Who are the owners? I thought it is 'the community' with a few OG @mods providing the wisdom of the elders? Or did you mean the software folk?

I guess what interested me about @Angie's graph, is that over the two year period from January 2019 - 2021... there is only a blip of active users last February/March. Otherwise there is no stonkingly obvious evidence of COVID! Like I say... *I* thought more people joined during COVID... but perhaps that was just because I was focusing my attention selectively?

Depending on how 'active' users are counted... I can imagine people joining and being 'inactive'. This would neither contribute to the base trend of active users per month nor the number of posts per month - even if there is a spike in new members.

It is just a hypothesis, out of curiosity, with no real world consequences or importance ;)

Latest posts