How many pros here use all of their knives at work?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:LOL:

I have never worked in the pro kitchen, so this is a stupid question. Why would you leave an expensive knife where someone can take it? Do people not have knife rolls or bags, or is it common to just go through people's stuff and take whatever?

This is pretty common in Pro kitchen. Unless you state it clear that they need to ask for permission before taking the knife.
The was once a KP used my knife to cut a sticky tape on the bench. “ it is the closest knife i can reach for” he said

So long as they ask and I know for what purpose they need it for I dont mind others using my stuff. Never just dig into my bag tho, I didnt take it out for a reason. Keeping knives in sayas when not in use usually discourage people from just using it too.

You usually have your own station or area you work in but you work in the whole kitchen. Disappearing for one minute is all it takes if it’s out on your board. I worked at a place where I would come in for a month or two and maybe not be back for 8 months. The staff that remembered me know not to touch my knives with out asking, the new busboy who sees something “bad ass” doesn’t. Also if you work in a place where everyone uses house knives and you don’t. I like to keep a rotation of gyutos so that sharpening is only a touch up at the end of the week. My butcher knives are my favorite to use since they are unique but they hardly see as much use. Breaking down 1 or 2 chickens I’ll use anything. Breaking down 20 chickens and I’ll pull something fun out like a garasuki or yo deba.

all the pro chefs, whats the one knife from your collection you'd pick for a hard days slog if you could only choose one?

Mine would be my marko since we've been through thick n thin together

a watanabe gyuto, toyama suji and a western petty would complete my day
Nice. I'm expecting to hear a few more wats.
Never had the pleasure of using one, but i'm gonna visit shinichi san in feb so who knows what kind of hit my wallet will take:rolleyes:

:LOL:

I have never worked in the pro kitchen, so this is a stupid question. Why would you leave an expensive knife where someone can take it? Do people not have knife rolls or bags, or is it common to just go through people's stuff and take whatever?

It really boils down to what kind of culture is in the kitchen, some kitchens are full of super respectful knife enthusiasts and others not so much. But that being said- you’re always are taking a chance when bringing nice gear in- be it misuse or -the unspeakable. Best to not advertise what the blades are worth unless you know your crew really well. I let my cooks use/try everything I bring in. And then I tell them what it cost after they’ve had a chance to feel it out. The biggest gasp I’ve gotten was when I let a cook use a knife that was her monthly salary for a few tasks and then let her know. But I’m pretty lucky with this team, which allows me to rotate nearly my entire collection (though not all) into a pro setting.

all the pro chefs, whats the one knife from your collection you'd pick for a hard days slog if you could only choose one?

Mine would be my marko since we've been through thick n thin together

Takamura Chromax. Not the most expensive or fanciest. But it's my go to. It's seen some bone, stainless steel counters and sink. Yet it still keeps going without any major damage.

I used all my knives at work rotated gyuto so always have a sharp blade.

Except for boning knive all the rest were carbon. Cleavers, SB, and gyuto.

Anything goes in hotel kitchen. We had retired butcher position. Outlets were responsible for their own prep. Butcher shop right behind Gardemanger station. When they would run out of items often would borrow my knife to cut fish etc. because my knives were sharp carbons.

I find the most joy in using every knife I can attain. Use creates cause for sharpening and polishing. Sharpening and polishing creates want for use. A beautiful cycle.

My pro environments are secluded from the chaos in the kitchens and I enjoy the benefits greatly, because the biggest deterrent to using outstanding tools is the recklessness of passers-by. Namely, security is the biggest benefit and because of this I never hesitate to browse my options daily and select what suits the expected tasks of the shift.

I find that keeping things fresh is a great exercise in understanding and appreciating all aspects of different knives. There are several “favorites,” but I try to keep among my options: knives with unique, if subtle, different characteristics that justify their place in the inventory.

Because I think it’s beneficial to maintaining and developing skills/technique, I like to try as many different versions as practical, so there tend to be several in the “out box,” as preferences continue to change. Thus, knives I tend NOT to use are the ones that aren’t unique or appealing in some particular way, and so these inevitably get passed on or loaned out.

It makes sense if you think of a knife as a general tool. You'd never think "I need a screwdriver" and walk past one sitting on a bench just because the owner isn't around for permission.
As mentioned earlier in this thread, respect for knives in a kitchen will depend on the mentality of the people you work with. We normally don't care too much if the person using our stuff knows and respects the limitations of a quality knife, the problem occurs when someone like a dishwasher or a clueless chef thinks all knives behave the same as that Victorinox beater... and yours is within reach.

Going through other peoples stuff is a different story - it usually doesn't happen - but we generally like to have a couple of knives sitting out on the board for quick access. You'd lose so much time over the years (and look like a twat) if you go in-and-out of your knife roll every time you moved.
If you have an easy access draw or magnetic rack to store your knives, the same deal applies... people know it's there.

Last edited:

With my small work kitchen experience in a catering kitchen it as Kippington said, it heavily depends on the kitchen you work in. I work in a kitchen where if you damage a knife you buy a new one for the owner no questions asked pretty much and there's a surveillance camera in the kitchen so people dont touch other peoples knives without permission. You can also just leave your stuff in the kitchen, fancy knives and all because there's a lot of trust between the staff. So again it heavily depends on the staff and work environment fostered in there by senior staff.

Except small plastic petty knives, those little guys vanish/get abused but thats because no one buys one worth more then a fiver and cares about it :D

Only problem I’ve had is one time this guy grabbed my gengetsu and with all his body weight sliced a quesadilla into 4 pieces. He normally uses a dexter, which is fine but even his dexter was silly dull so I guess he was just used to using a lot of pressure to cut food. Later I found my gengetsu in the shape of a boomerang, fortunately Jon fixed it back to normal.

Only problem I’ve had is one time this guy grabbed my gengetsu and with all his body weight sliced a quesadilla into 4 pieces. He normally uses a dexter, which is fine but even his dexter was silly dull so I guess he was just used to using a lot of pressure to cut food. Later I found my gengetsu in the shape of a boomerang, fortunately Jon fixed it back to normal.

That must have been one powerful quesadilla.

Latest posts

Back