How this cooking/knife lifestyle ruined your life.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dxtreme

Reaction score
This obsession/hobby/lifestyle has ruined me forever. Anybody else that pause the TV when watching a cooking show just to see what kind of knife the chef is using ??

This obsession/hobby/lifestyle has ruined me forever. Anybody else that pause the TV when watching a cooking show just to see what kind of knife the chef is using ??

Sometimes. Usually it's a run of the mill Shun, Messermeister or Wusthof though

I have definitely rewinded cooking-related shows to look at the knives before. Sometimes I do notice a Japanese knife, but I don't know the kanji well enough to ID the knife.

I will often demand that others pause and replay video of scenes involving firearms or other weapons to verify what props a production's armorers/gun wranglers have provided for a scene and how well they have coached the"talent" to pretend to use these props... Then may disrespect them loudly for anachronisms (and other faux pas).

Give me time, I'll start to abuse the video cooks for such things too, I'm sure.

Used to let other cooks borrow my knives on occasion.

This last week someone asked to use my gyuto for the day. I laughed in his face and refused.. I've been on his **** list since.

I will often demand that others pause and replay video of scenes involving firearms or other weapons to verify what props a production's armorers/gun wranglers have provided for a scene and how well they have coached the"talent" to pretend to use these props... Then may disrespect them loudly for anachronisms (and other faux pas).

Give me time, I'll start to abuse the video cooks for such things too, I'm sure.

Dude ! Are you in the film industry ?

My wife's big pet-peeve is when an actor drinks coffee from an obviously empty mug/to-go cup.

As for knives, I've definitely rewound scenes trying to see what they're using. Can't say I've had much success with identification.

Damn you caught me. Rewinded Salt Fat Acid Heat on Netflix to see what Samin uses. Miyabi birchwood. There's worse choices I think to myself. Then she goes on to use someones heritage knife on a ceramic plate. The horror.

Damn you caught me. Rewinded Salt Fat Acid Heat on Netflix to see what Samin uses. Miyabi birchwood. There's worse choices I think to myself. Then she goes on to use someones heritage knife on a ceramic plate. The horror.

Was in an incredible airbnb while abroad. Nice kitchen, a quick look through the drawers and shelves and it looked fully equipped.

Bought all of the ingredients to make a nice romantic dinner..

The horror when I couldn't find the cutting board. Just a marble slab.

Yeah, I did that with the movie 'Chef.'
PLu5nlp.png

Last edited:
Was in an incredible airbnb while abroad. Nice kitchen, a quick look through the drawers and shelves and it looked fully equipped.

Those poor knives

Can't believe they didn't have a proper glass cutting board.

I started bringing my stones to a friend's place because I know his knives are going to be in terrible condition and his stone is ****.

It hasn't ruined me yet, mainly because I watch almost no cooking shows on TV (that's more my wife's thing).

What ruined me for TV and movie watching was being a film student when young, and then a career as an advertising still photographer. I enjoy seeing great, creative lighting of a set, but you don't want to be in the room with me when I'm watching something with terrible lighting. Digital cameras with ridiculous low light ability have helped, with more use of natural lighting. But flat, boring lighting, or unrealistic multiple shadows from what looks like a single light source* will still set me off.

*Vintage Hollywood black and white movies get a pass on that.

Man ! What are they teaching these young chefs nowadays ? Below should be the curriculum.

Chapter 1: Fujiwara Yoshiaki
Chapter 2: Shigefusa
Chapter 3: Maksim @ japanesenaturalstones

So no JJ Abrams and lens flare galore for you?

Don't get me started. Actually that bothers me less than the orange/teal color grading thing that was so popular for a while, but that may be starting to fade as a cliche now.

I almost refused to watch Episode 9 because of what he did to Star Trek and the lighting....

Don't get me started. Actually that bothers me less than the orange/teal color grading thing that was so popular for a while, but that may be starting to fade as a cliche now.

Dont be hating on Anamorphics !!! I think today's trend is to shoot as low contrast and as low light as possible with nothing on the right hand size of the histogram.

THIS HAPPENED TO ME! IN KYOTO!!!

There I am, in Japan, just saw the incredible cuttlery shop and decided to cook dinner in the (otherwise well equipped) kitchen of the rooms we had rented.

And the knives in the "fully equipped" kitchen were ****! Plus, the cutting board was GLASS?! So I didn't even want to rush out and BUY a knife to cook dinner.

It turned out well in the end, because there was a good and CHEAP "conveyer belt sushi" nearby, which turned out to be the second best sushi we had in 2 weeks of bumming around Japan eating raw fish at every oportunity. Wish I had noted the name/address of that restaurant.

Can't believe they didn't have a proper glass cutting board.
I stayed in a friend-of-a-friend's luxury cabin last summer. The owners are both surgeons and, I was told, foodies. No expense was spared.

At first, things looked promising: 8-burner Wolf, a walk in fridge (I **** you not!), smoker, huge grill, nice cast iron pans, etc... and one, count it, ONE 12x18 glass cutting board. I used it and couldn't believe the damage it did to my Shi-Han A2. We brought a rubber placemat for my toddler to use, but I commendeered it as my cutting board.

I spend hours a week in my workshop (which I rent for the purpose) making knives. Didn't exactly save money making my own knife that one time. :p

And tote around a small diamond hone in my carry-on whenever I travel. But I'll only sharpen knives in someone else's kitchen if they have a proper cutting board!

I had the same problem last year. The company my wife works threw a barbaque party. The barbaque guy didn't show up and i offered to replace him. Got a couple of cheap blades i carry on the trunk of my car, but there were no cutting boards around. It's funny how cutting boards are either negleted or ill-chosen by almost everyone.

Last edited:
Back