How to choose between 210, 240, 270 and 300 mm gyuto as main knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josemartinlopez

我會買所有的獨角獸
Reaction score
How does one decide on a favored knife length for your gyuto or other main knife? My very first knife years ago was 210 mm, and I belatedly realized that always felt too small and it bothered me a lot before I upgraded. (I did note that quite a few answers on the "If you could only have three knives..." thread were for 210 mm main knives, or 240 mm.) I know 240 mm is the roughly standard size, but some here prefer (or at least talk about more) 270 or even 300 mm. For me, 210 mm just feels too insubstantial, especially when you have lighter Japanese (and thinner, lighter Japanese) knives. I have friends who went to culinary school and are definitely comfortable using a 270 mm knife for everything. All this assumes you are not in a tiny kitchen of course and have a little room.

For the people who have literally tried dozens of similar knives at different lengths, how did you find your favored knife length? Do you usually buy your main drivers at that length, though maybe in different materials and styles?

Buy Knife > Try Knife > Decide if you like/don't like > sell knives you don't like > start at beginning.

It's that simple - you'll only know what you prefer by using it for prep.

This! A 240 is the "standard" on this forum but KKF doesn't necessarily reflect the rest of the world. I don't think you'll find too many 240s in Japanese home kitchens.

How does one decide on a favored knife length for your gyuto or other main knife? My very first knife years ago was 210 mm, and I belatedly realized that always felt too small and it bothered me a lot before I upgraded. (I did note that quite a few answers on the "If you could only have three knives..." thread were for 210 mm main knives, or 240 mm.) I know 240 mm is the roughly standard size, but some here prefer (or at least talk about more) 270 or even 300 mm. For me, 210 mm just feels too insubstantial, especially when you have lighter Japanese (and thinner, lighter Japanese) knives. I have friends who went to culinary school and are definitely comfortable using a 270 mm knife for everything. All this assumes you are not in a tiny kitchen of course and have a little room.

For the people who have literally tried dozens of similar knives at different lengths, how did you find your favored knife length? Do you usually buy your main drivers at that length, though maybe in different materials and styles?

It's akin to someone asking me "how did I find the girl I wanna marry?"

Much of it down to personal preference. I know some seasoned pros that primarily use 210s, others go longer. Difficult to deduce by task or kitchen space what length gyuto one should end up with.

For me, the perfect length for a gyuto is 225. But, that's just me. Most of my gyutos are 225, gives me ample blade length, while remaining nimble.

The way you choose is by using different lengths and figuring out what works for you personally.

Last edited:
Yup, hate to break it to you, but there's no shortcut I know to experience. Just got to try them. But it sounds like you can already rule out 210s based on your experience. Something to consider is whether the particular gyuto is an oversized or undersized version of the gyuto. For example, an undersized 210 may feel quite different from an oversized one.

Yup, hate to break it to you, but there's no shortcut I know to experience. Just got to try them. But it sounds like you can already rule out 210s based on your experience. Something to consider is whether the particular gyuto is an oversized or undersized version of the gyuto. For example, an undersized 210 may feel quite different from an oversized one.
Good point. The 240 I bought last week has an edge length of 225—whereas another of my 240s is more like 250 in edge length.

240 or 270 for me. Found out though trial and error. Fortunately not much error.

Agree that profile height is also important. I like the tall blades a little more.

I think it's safe to say that a 300mm is off the table for 99% of users. One of those things if you don't know you need one, you don't need one.

I too find 210 a little lacking, though for onesy, twosey, stuff if it's the closest I may reach for it. And this is only at home. The little guys don't go to work.

240 is my go to either at work or at home. At work I may use a 270 if I have a lot of big stuff to make into little stuff. At home I'm starting to gravitate towards 225's for a lot of tasks. Don't think I even owned a 225 a couple years ago, now there are a couple.

Agree with above in that it's analogous to finding a wife. Gotta try a good sample size..... :cool:

whether the particular gyuto is an oversized or undersized version of the gyuto. For example, an undersized 210 may feel quite different from an oversized one.
Could you elaborate?

I get I need to experience different knives for myself, but would love to help that along by checking what other people looked out for before they figured it out.

I came from a 8 inch Global which I think is more like 200 and I also found it on the small side. I ended up with an oversized 210 and it works for me. Back then I was worried that detail work would be more difficult with a 240. It is nice if you can do 'everything' with one knife. If you think an oversized 210 in not enough to fix your feelings maybe a 240 is ok for you. 270 or larger, I don't see this at home.

That's why I currently have 13 random girls in my home.

I don't believe in the 'perfect knife,' nor that I believe that there should be. I believe in, and appreciate the luxury of being able to choose from a bunch of knives to use.

When confronted by a big bunch of collard greens, it might seem logical to use a 270—but sometimes I'll grab a 210 just for the hell of it.

Could you elaborate?

I get I need to experience different knives for myself, but would love to help that along by checking what other people looked out for before they figured it out.

Well 210, 240, 270, refer to the general size of the knife. But different makers make them differently regarding the edge length. For example, Sakai knives will usually measure coming out of the handle to the tip for the size. So while it may be 210 mm from the handle to the tip. The edge length may only end up being, let's just say, 203mm. While another maker might make there knifes a little oversized. Like, Mazaki, I believe are usually a little longer, ( Sanjo knives in general often are). So a knive that is said to be 210 mm, might actually have an edge length of let's say 217 mm. This might be a half inch difference on the edge and it may make a little differrence. At the end of the day they are still both 210s but they may vary a little in feel. Personally, I would try a 240 if I was you and focus on the overall knife. But I have never been a hard specs guy, perhaps, you will be. There are definetely hard specs guys, and it sounds like you might become one of them. Figure out what your old 210 was and think about how much more you would of liked. Then guess on whether you think you would want an oversized 240 or undersized 240. Also keep in mind that the 210 and 240 version may be very different knives. Sometimes the 240 may be more of a workhorse, while the 210 may be more laserish. Then, other times they just feel like smaller or bigger versions of each other.

Last edited:
That's why I currently have 13 random girls in my home.
This is called monogamy in this forum right?

I don't believe in the 'perfect knife,' nor that I believe that there should be. I believe in, and appreciate the luxury of being able to choose from a bunch of knives to use.
Yep, thread is asking about preference or default choice. This not a "one knife" thread.

OP: Your board size will determine whether the use of a 240/270/300/etc. is viable. That is in turn decided by your counter space.

Usually 240s to me. the 225-250 range is just about perfect for most days. I do have 180-210 gyutos that i love, and would for sure not have any issues using them for the rest of my days. 240s are my wheelhouse tho.

I will echo those who made reference to blade height as a big determining factor. My Sakai 210s are around the 42-44mm heights and those end up feeling more like pettys in hand. I have two Shigeki Tanaka 180s that are in the 47-49mm height and almost feel longer than the Sakai 210s.

I have two identical Yoshihiro Hi-soft XL cutting boards that I abut together when I want more space. The total area ends up being 23.6" x 23.6". For that amount of area I find that a 240mm works perfectly. I do have a 210mm razor gyuto but that is more for delicate work so having the shorter blade length is an advantage. It really comes down to how it feels to you for the type of prep/cutting work you do most of the time.

It's about workflow and ergonomics. 225-270 is just the sweet spot if you do ungodly amounts of prep.

A few remarks. Have seen a lot of people going from 210 to 240. Never the opposite way.
A Japanese 240 doesn't feel like a German 230. It's lighter and has generally a forward balance point.
You will need very little time to get used to a longer blade, provided you're pinch gripping.
A larger blade has a much larger contact area with the board, tip and heel area being more or less the same. You may expect a much better edge retention.
Short people better have a longer blade than a shorter one. With short ones, they will have to raise their elbow far higher than is comfortable. Don't ask how I (1,64m) know.

240mm is that status quo, otherwise find a knife shop to handle. No one, no matter their intentions, can give any size recommendation with any real knowledge of all the variables with you.
With knives as with a lot of other things, the first impression often is totally wrong. Says more about what you're used to than about what you're actually handling.
Better get a middle-of-the-road knife and explore your preferences about size, weight, balance, profile, geometry etc. and perhaps adapt your technique as well.

I think it's safe to say that a 300mm is off the table for 99% of users. One of those things if you don't know you need one, you don't need one.

I too find 210 a little lacking, though for onesy, twosey, stuff if it's the closest I may reach for it. And this is only at home. The little guys don't go to work.

240 is my go to either at work or at home. At work I may use a 270 if I have a lot of big stuff to make into little stuff. At home I'm starting to gravitate towards 225's for a lot of tasks. Don't think I even owned a 225 a couple years ago, now there are a couple.

Agree with above in that it's analogous to finding a wife. Gotta try a good sample size..... :cool:

I guess I’m in the 1%! I mostly use 270s these days but I do have a 295 Raquin and a 300 Misono dragon I really like using. The bigger blades just feel more balanced and comfortable to me. But like others said, there was a lot of buying and selling before I reached that conclusion. I used to have 240s almost exclusively but only kept 3 and even those are oversized ones.

I definitely agree that trial and error is the way to go; I started 210, swiftly wanted something bigger and bought a 240, still wasn’t enough so I picked up a 270. Funnily enough though, I’ve got a 165 nakiri that I really love (it’s got a slight point) for when just have a little bit of a thing to do.

I might suggest that the balance and overall weight being right for you is more important than the exact length. If a knife is balanced nicely for your grip then it will be wickedly comfortable. Also, if you’re coming from hefty german blades then you’ll be more than comfortable with a big gyuto. A 200mm wusthof classic comes in around 270g, my 270mm weighs 251g. I’ve got 1/3 more blade and lost 20g.

My main issue with my 210 is that it’s too light; sure it’s a little short but to be honest that doesn’t bother me that much.

I'm pretty new to this and went through the usual length anxiety 🤣.

As a layperson:
I picked a 210 option in the line I chose because it represented much better value at the time and having picked up both lengths of the same knife it didn't feel too small. The cutting edge measured 215 but I think any smaller and it would have felt too insubstantial. I just bought a 240 (measured 245) and it doesn't feel big or unwieldy at all. I think it's pretty reasonable that 240 represents the standard choice in gyuto here, but of course it's a highly personal thing. The 210 will see use on the smaller boards or when prepping with my gf.

I think it boils down to so many factors - particularly cutting board size, kitchen space and what one spends most of their time cutting. I think 240 is more than ample for home use but could totally imagine going bigger if I was a pro cook and had to tackle large volumes.

I think you have to figure out use cases, consider those factors and then just take a stab at it. Buy knives and sell them on if they don't turn out to be what you wanted until you know more about what you like. Also I think of this as a hobby where I care about finding the optimal tools. I don't think that there is a 'perfect size' that I would stick to and then just keep buying more in that length in different steels and styles - I would consider each knife as individual and what purposes it has in my arsenal.

PS: Another way of looking at it that I just thought of. I remember when I got my first 'good' TV, 32" felt big. Later when I upgraded, I got a 46" instead of 52" - it looked huge for all of 3 days and then I kicked myself for not going bigger despite having figured out the optimal viewing distance/position etc. From what you wrote for example I would start at 270 and work down if needed!

Last edited:
Back