How to create the amazing Kurosaki contrast?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ma_sha1

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to do this?
I mean the frosted cladding on a polished core? Also, the double lines?

I’d like to do it to the Mazaki in picture as well as my TF which has no contrast. Given the amount of knives Kurosaki crank out, it’s unlikely to be Jnat?

oMJVYmr.jpg

Looks like etching. The etching agent causes a different reaction to the cladding and core metals creating the contrast.

The cladding is stainless & core is carbon, if etching, the core will be edged much more, so I think it’s no likely.

That powdery-white finish is usually sandblast.
(Benefits are that this gives a very consistent finish and hides low spots.)
Not sure about the Mazaki--there've been so many iterations of Maz finish (or lack thereof).

Can you guys explain how to do etching of the stainless steel cladding without etching corroding the core carbon?

The Mazaki is iron cladding. It would also be affected by the etching. afaik, cladding would need to be stainless.

I remember someone mentioning that the double line was something you see more on stainless clad knives for some reason. But I don’t remember why. @inferno, was it you that said this? Or maybe I’m misremembering. Or is it a separating layer of something else?

I remember someone mentioning that the double line was something you see more on stainless clad knives for some reason. But I don’t remember why. @inferno, was it you that said this? Or maybe I’m misremembering. Or is it a separating layer of something else?

Was it something about nickel between the core and cladding?

That powdery-white finish is usually sandblast.
(Benefits are that this gives a very consistent finish and hides low spots.)
Not sure about the Mazaki--there've been so many iterations of Maz finish (or lack thereof).
My Kurosaki has a hidden overgrind near the heal, and it only showed up once I tried to polish it :(:(:(

Nearly every handmade knife has an uneven grind on the blade road. There is a difference between a low spot and overgrind.
As in, I foulmnd that there is a hollowed out side of the knife. If this isn't, what exactly is overgrind then?

The blade road can be flattened on a stone if it is just a low spot. You rarely find a blade road that is totally flat. An overgrind goes past the center axis of the knife and can't just be flattened out and will eventually cause a hole in the edge from sharpening. This is rare for most knives though.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?
I mean the frosted cladding on a polished core? Also, the double lines?

I’d like to do it to the Mazaki in picture as well as my TF which has no contrast. Given the amount of knives Kurosaki crank out, it’s unlikely to be Jnat?

oMJVYmr.jpg

its sand/media/bead blasted. 100000% sure.

also the "double lines" only shows up on carbon steel with SS cladding. and it will not show up if you try to do this on stones. ask me how i know. its a good indicator that the cladding is SS and not iron if thats not written in the description of knives imo. its 99% accurate i'd say. only time its not accurate is when the blade has been finished on stones instead of blasted. but its extremely uncommon.

Latest posts

Back