How to cut dried tomatoes?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Benuser

from The Netherlands, EU.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I got the impression a lot of kitchen professionals participate in this forum, I hope I may ask them for an advice: what kind of knife do you use when cutting (half)dried tomatoes? The combination of leathery skin, seeds and acidity makes to dull every knife I've tried yet. How do you deal with this?

ThEoRy

Reaction score
Usually I'll julienne through them with a gyuto. I'll just spill them out covering my board and walk the knife through them all. Very efficient.

ecchef

Staff member
Founding Member
Global Moderators
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1. You can stick them in the microwave for a few seconds to soften them up a bit.

ThEoRy

Reaction score
Tell ya what, I'll make a vid for ya tomorrow.

apicius9

Das HandleMeister
Founding Member
Reaction score
240 Western Tojiro deba works also.

Stefan

Adamm

Reaction score
Usually I'll julienne through them with a gyuto. I'll just spill them out covering my board and walk the knife through them all. Very efficient.
This is how i usually do it too works great, especially if you do alot

ThEoRy

Reaction score
Sorry guys I got busy with the Barclays tournament and haven't had time for vids. I'll try but it may be a couple weeks...

Benuser

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you, ThEoRy, and thank you, other contributors, so far. Any idea about the dulling problem?

Mattias504

Reaction score
Sun drieds are a natural duller of knives. Not much can be done about it that I can think of.
I usually just stack them up and cut away.

AnxiousCowboy

Reaction score
worst thing i've cut for dulling a knife is preserved lemon... Gritty salty and acidic...

JohnnyChance

Founding Member
Reaction score
I like the cryovac'd packs of sundrieds that when you open them they stay clumped together. That way I can just grab a fist sized clump and julienne the whole thing in a minute. The ones that fall apart in into individual pieces I smack with my fist to help flatten, stack them, then julienne. Never really noticed too much edge degradation just from doing sun drieds. After a 5# pack my edges feel basically the same.

Vertigo

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
Banned
Reaction score
Find a way to convince yourself that you can pulse them in the Robo.

jgraeff

Reaction score
I normally just stack them then push them down to flatten out a bit, i will make a bunch of stacks as much as i need line them up and slice them all the way down works very well and is quite fast, i have never noticed my knife getting dull from it though.. maybe its the cutting board?? I use poly boards all the time and still haven't noticed that happening at all. Or are you using too much pressure?

tk59

Founding Member
Reaction score
I like the cryovac'd packs of sundrieds that when you open them they stay clumped together. That way I can just grab a fist sized clump and julienne the whole thing in a minute. The ones that fall apart in into individual pieces I smack with my fist to help flatten, stack them, then julienne. Never really noticed too much edge degradation just from doing sun drieds. After a 5# pack my edges feel basically the same.
How are you sharpening these days, Johnny?

Benuser

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pressure and board might be a factor, just as steel and edge. I noticed less dulling with a VG-10, but it has a less acute edge than my carbons, so I find it hard to blame the stuff's acidity. This is why I asked for you guys' experience.

TamanegiKin

Reaction score
Meat grinder to robo-coupe to vita-prep then mashed through a chinoise.
But seriously, I hate dried tomatoes.