How to get rid of Cutting board smell ...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some Clark's board soap that is very mild but has a nice lemony scent.

I have also heard that lemon + baking soda should take out any scents/stains on a board.

Lemon juice and vinegar work well but if you have really stubborn smells a very dilute bleach/water solution does well

Hey. I found the answer I was looking for in an old thread. Just had to pat [edit: from pay] my back for using google like a pro.

Last edited:
I know this got necro-bumped, but I'll second the vinegar.
I sprinkled a fair amount of baking soda, and then spritzed with white vinegar until the fizzing was mostly done.
It really helped out with the onion smell.

I've found cleaning with diluted white vinegar helps.
I use full strength vinegar pretty much after every prep.

Occasionally hydrogen peroxide if it's gotten dirty or contaminated (with meat or somethinf like that). Sometimes I use kitchen sanitiser (benzalkonium) but I'm pretty careful to rinse it well afterwards.

I've TRIED all of the above (except benzalconium chloride). But my daily use edge grain cherry board must have accumulated garlic and onion molecules an inch down into the wood, marinating in years' worth of mineral oil deep below the surface. But, what the heck, most the stuff I prep is either in the onion family or will join that family later in the recipe, or in any case will not be compromised by a faint wisp of shallot. So, as long as it is sufficiently sanitary, it usually doesn't matter whether or not my board is subtly perfumed. Unless, of course, I'm cutting fruit, which will indeed be tainted to unpleasant effect by garlic wood. So, I keep handy a separate hinoki board just for fruit.

That is not dead, which can eternal lie...
F01B6607-B76F-48A0-9147-09C342B2D51A.png

@alterwisser: Simple.... use salt & lemon

Step 1: Clean and dry your board
Step 2: Cover your whole board with fine grain / plain table salt
Step 3: Cut a lemon in half and rub the whole board down with only slight pressure for like a few minutes to distribute evenly
Step 4: Leave it there (with the Lemon juice/salt on top) for a while (maybe 30min or an hour or so)
Step 5: Rinse and let dry

Regards, Iggy

Blitz an apple or two, spread it on the board, leave it overnight. Has always worked for me.

White vinegar and water applied with paper tissue worked really good.

Back