How to remember which is Kazayuki and which is Shigeki Tanaka ironwood

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josemartinlopez

我會買所有的獨角獸
Reaction score
The Tanaka ironwood R2 knives are one my absolute favorite knives. I own a Shigeki Tanaka 270, and a Kazayuki Tanaka 270 (vouched for by Knives and Stones).

This is probably a stupid question but it actually worries me a lot. How do I make sure I remember which is which and not mix up the two while I use them? There are no markings and no visible way to distinguish the two knives. I'm about to tie a rubber band on one handle or something like that!

Is there not some sort of wood grain in the handle you could use to tell them apart?

I would take a photo of each knife and mark the name on the photo. When you get confused just compare the knife with the photo. They can’t be exactly identical so this should work.

mix them up, and they both become Kazayukis. 😅
then you have redundant knives and can sell one on BST. 😓

seriously though, just take a labeled picture of them side by side that you can refer to.

I bet they’re not really identical. Perhaps Jose just needs to build up his observational skills gradually.

In the absence of any actual real life knife pics, I think the best we can offer is some training resources that Jose can self-serve from the comfort of his comfortable abode. Let’s start gently:

1634941724301.jpeg

I bet they’re not really identical. Perhaps Jose just needs to build up his observational skills gradually.

In the absence of any actual real life knife pics, I think the best we can offer is some training resources that Jose can self-serve from the comfort of his comfortable abode. Let’s start gently:

View attachment 148151
XFqHtXEh.jpg

:dancingchicken:

*big flex* I guess I kind of have the same issue with a 2014 and 2018 Kono 240 Togo’s Fuji’s. Except one is chiseled by kawamura and the other by bis father. I do kinda forget which is which.

This is probably a stupid question but it actually worries me a lot.

On a worry scale of 1-10, where does “a lot” fall?
Also, do you keep a composition book filled with these kinds of devastating conundrums? If so, how do you choose which one to post and when? Or conversely, do you make these impromptu posts when the angst becomes too overwhelming?

Then re-blade them!

hehebe

I think.Jose had better rehandle them too, just to make sure. I’m not convinced that Tanaka hasn’t diddled Mr Lopez with faux Ironwood, some kind of laminate boasting weirdly consistent grain patterns, What a cad Shigeki has become!

And at least that way Jose will have a truly unique Tanaka original
😎

PS: I have a spare resin handle from a Myojin going spare, gratis to Jose. It is distinctive enough

@TSF415 @Hz_zzzzzz @daveb I finally got around to the comparison photo. Couldn't get good lighting.

I put a rubber band temporarily but this is seriously driving me nuts in a way only people on this forum could possibly understand.

Knives - 2021 10 24 Kazayuki Shigeki Tanaka Ironwood DSC01168 (Edited).jpeg

Knives - 2021 10 24 Kazayuki Shigeki Tanaka Ironwood DSC01174 (edited).jpeg

Last edited:
I see three differences.
1. Biggest difference is that the top one has more exposed core steel at the middle of the edge profile.
2. Top one has much tighter stacked damascus behind the core steel.
3. The damascus on the top one in the middle of the blade face is much more kinda "pillowy" or "cloudy". The bottom ones damascus remains more stacked all the way.

I could be wrong, but my guess is that the top one is made by the father and the bottom one is made by the son?

Back