How would you re-profile this broken tip?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought this knife with the broken tip. Below it is what it used to look like; a basic spearpoint. It's about 5.5 inches (140mm) right now. I can remake the spear point, but do any of you lot have any other ideas about what to do with it? TIA.

Also, acetone to remove that hideous red paint or...?
02.jpg

A sheepsfoot would surely be the easiest as hardly any thinning would be needed, but on a small blade like that I would miss having a pointed tip. I would probably do a spear tip without as long of a taper as the original. A blunter spear tip if that makes sense.

Minor update: Acetone worked very well. I soaked it overnight, then wiped off some paint with a paper towel. Dipped it and wiped it a few times and got 98% of the paint off.
03, after acetone..jpg

Ps. different knife. same maker, same red paint.

How thin is that blade? Sheepfoot works well with a short ultra-thin blade.

Judging by the height, I think I'd profile it for slicing only.... or, if it's not too flexible, a boning knife profile,,,, or, a filleting knife,, or, a trim knife, or, a letter opener. :) .

I would profile it like the other one in the first picture. Nice little user imho 👌

Here it is after popping just the two pins. I had to clean the gunk between scale and tang.
k112.jpg

And here she is after all the work. Polished the blade a bit; came out well. Sharpened it; it took a wicked edge. Re-installed the 2 pins, and peened them in place. Sanded the handle and oiled it.
k123.jpg

Not sure what I'll do with this but I'll put in the box and take it to work today.

Latest posts

Back