Hurricane Lane

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Sinclair

Reaction score
Seems like Hawaii has been lucky with near misses except Iniki in 1992 that devastated Kauai. Lane is a large one was cat 5 for a while now a cat 4 moving slow which could mean large surge, flooding and land slides. Some models have it weakening and veering west that would be good. One has it hitting Oahu.

I would rather be safe than sorry. Bought 2 sheets of plywood today and waterproofed it. Have two plate glass windows both 6 feet wide on second floor. Got some help will cover them tomorrow.

Hunker down brother, hurricanes are serious business.

Good luck out there. Being on the east coast this one has been off my radar. I hope it turns into a non-event for you.

Stay safe

We were set to visit Kauai Monday - Sat next week but seriously considering cancelling.. Even thou the worst supposed to be over by Sunday I imagine the water and roads will be a mess for a few days...

Hard to tell at this point. The eye was well south of the Big Island but because this storm is 400 miles wide the outer counter clockwise bands soaked the Island esp. Hilo side.

Doing final House & yard prep work late afternoon. Could feel gusts of wind around 35 -40mph. the storm is about 250 miles from Oahu. Live in back of Paoa valley have two drain flumes from high point of property to low points. Took pictures of Paoa stream a little above average in flow. Maybe get some pictures if it turns into a raging river.

Maui is getting rain & some power outage as storm going south of Island. Next 24 hours it is projected to weaken & make a sharp left turn to the west. If it does not make that turn Oahu is in it's path moving slowly north. If it turns away from Oahu Kauai will be spared too.

Good news, looks like the hurricane is being sheared apart by high level winds. Still facing possible high winds and heavy rains in some areas but the chance of us being hit be hurricane force winds is much less probable after the latest observations.

Yes a lot of people thought Waikiki and low areas on Oahu were going to get major storm surge and flooding. This afternoon plenty surfers out on a decent south swell.

That large storm weakened just in time the high mountains in Hawaii create friction and wind shear broke it up to tropical storm conditions. Not like Florida, the Keys, Pan Handle where these monsters plow over flat land.

Lots of rain ahead on the map showed a surviving spiral arm with lots of moisture heading for Kauai.
Think rising global temps. more storms last couple years more in the Pacific for sure.

Back