i am searching for vegan recipes with tofu

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r0bz

Reaction score
i am searching for vegan recipes with tofu
if you have something good and want to share please do :)

we absolutely LOVE the vegan Gong Bao Chicken (tofu curd stick) recipe since we first had in a tiny 'authentic Chinese' food place in Rotterdam.

The girl behind the counter in the Chinese shop always laughs when I buy the Tofu sticks, I doubt they ever had any other western guy buying them.

Last edited:
Tahu recipes from the Indonesian kitchen are also quite nice.
Tempeh (fermented Tofu from Indonesia), also several great dishes (Sambal Goreng Tempeh, just make sure to pick a proper sambal and not just any a reddish jar full of salt)

I was never a fan of Indonesian food but I have to say the fried tempeh drowned in ketjap manis was actually quite decent. I suppose anything is when you douse it in enough umami and sugar. :D

I was never a fan of Indonesian food but I have to say the fried tempeh drowned in ketjap manis was actually quite decent. I suppose anything is when you douse it in enough umami and sugar. :D
that dish comes close to the ideal 'likeable food' salt, sugar, fat, protein, just starch missing but I've seen folks generously flour the Tempeh before frying...

that dish comes close to the ideal 'likeable food' salt, sugar, fat, protein, just starch missing but I've seen folks generously flour the Tempeh before frying...
Now you have me wondering... did anyone ever deep-fry breaded bacon and douse that in ketjap manis? :D

Now you have me wondering... did anyone ever deep-fry breaded bacon and douse that in ketjap manis? :D
I did...at least something very similar (marinated pork belly)

You know what, it WORKS

That was when I had yet to discover proper heat and meat....and there was no other way to get the pork belly to properly become crispy (not proud of it, but you have to admit it was creative)

Last edited:
You can buy those tofu bags like ground meat gets hydrated in the sauce takes on it's flavor. I've used it in pasta sauce & curries. She buys it at health food store so it gets used.

I’ve been a vegetarian for over 30 years and my wife and daughter are vegan. It’s safe to say that I eat a lot of tofu.

I tend to towards spicy foods, which this recipe for mapo tofu is right on. I substitute minced shiitake marinated in hickory smoke for the meat. While finding the link, I noticed that they also have a vegan version of it on the site.

I think the key is good ingredients, splurge on the spices and oils. If you are into chili oils, nothing matches caiziyou for the oil.

https://blog.themalamarket.com/chengdu-challenge-10-mapo-doufu/
https://blog.themalamarket.com/vegan-mapo-tofu/
https://themalamarket.com/collections/all/products/caizi-you-sichuan-roasted-rapeseed-oil

Back