I built a strop too

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyChance

Founding Member
Reaction score
IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG

IMG_0523.JPG

IMG_0524.JPG

IMG_0522.JPG

Yes, cedar. I bought a 6' board, so I have enough for one more drop in piece. You can't see it in the pics but each base is double sided. One is balsa/balsa and other is smooth leather/textured leather. I think the third one will be felt/balsa, seeing as I have more balsa and a piece of felt. I might make a stone holder drop in as well. The pictures hide my poor craftsmanship as well. There are dowels holding on the end pieces and the fit isnt perfect, and both end pieces cracked while I was working on it. But it seems strong after gluing. I need some nonslip feet for it as well.

Now what you need is a rack that will keep your strops separate unless you don't care about contamination or you want to store them in plasic bags or something.

Sweet--what a great idea! What are the dimensions on this?

...and it actually looks of classic Japanese design, if they had thought of it! LOL Ingenious!

Great looking strop, John. Luckily, I am set on my design (a slightly different than yours), otherwise I would be stealing yours as well. :)

I am trying to clear my past orders once and for all, so all my time goes into doing custom work. Once I get to a good stopping point, I will work on some accessories, including strops and boards.

M

That is very well done indeed! That is a design that begs to be stolen :) Pure genious and very "authentic" Japanese.
How are the pieces for the base joined together?

DarkHOeK

Don't tell me that you came to ECG and didn't show me this strop. :bat:

Haha, I did have it with me but forgot all about it. I had my Aritsugu that I put a Stefan handle on too and forgot about that as well. Doh!

The design is no doubt clever as mentioned earlier, nice work!

I like it. Have you put anti-skid feet on your strop base yet (or planning to)? And do you like the added height? It looks to be about 3.5 inches.

k.

It is about 3.5" wide and 3" tall. Strops are about 12", total length of base is a little more than 13.5". I like the height of it.

I have not put any nonskid feet on it yet, I carry a nonskid mat in my bag to use under cutting boards and have just been using that. But I probably will at some point.

I have not put any nonskid feet on it yet, I carry a nonskid mat in my bag to use under cutting boards and have just been using that. But I probably will at some point.

I can send you some your way if you like, as a small compensation for being long overdue on your saya. :(

M

Now what you need is a rack that will keep your strops separate unless you don't care about contamination or you want to store them in plasic bags or something.

Well, I only put compound on one side of each strop base, so I can stack them a bit. I was thinking about making little H shaped blocks so I could stack them all together and not have them touching. Right now I have a giant restaurant size roll of plastic wrap at my house, and I just wrap them in that when I am not using them.

Nice. I think I might have to steal that as well. Thanks.
-M

Steal away! You should have no problem producing one that is slightly better constructed than mine, haha.

That is very well done indeed! That is a design that begs to be stolen :) Pure genious and very "authentic" Japanese.
How are the pieces for the base joined together?

DarkHOeK

Glue and dowels.

It was never my intention to make it look like it was Japanese made, but I am happy with the way it looks.

Back