I can get a BNIB Ryusen Blazen sujihiki 270mm for a great price: take it or leave it?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damiano

Reaction score
So, while I'm still contemplating which first gyuto to buy - as discussed here: Looking for a 210mm gyuto from an European shop - a friend of a friend is selling a brand new 270mm Ryusen Blazen sujihiki. He is asking 215 euro.

It retails for 400 euro where I live. This one here: Ryusen Blazen (武礼禅龍) Sujihiki 270mm SG2 (BZ-109)

Good buy? The 210mm Blazen gyuto is on my wishlist (out of stock now), so it would be a great combo together.

But, I see I can also get for example an Anryu Blue #2 for the same price: https://www.**************.com/kaanassu27.html And I'm kind of interested in the Anryu Blue gyuto as well. I should say I have no preference for ss over carbon.

What would you guys do if something you hadn't been considering comes up at a great price? Take it or leave it?

Ryusen Blazen is a nice knife (although my experience is with gyuto and santoku, not suji).

Beautifully balanced. Beautifully finished. A fairly thin knife that is even thinner behind the edge. Long edge retention on the SG2/R2 steel.

Did I mention how beautiful the balance is?

I have the petty from this line, it's a great knife. Everything Nemo said. It's hand made, but so so professionally done.
I find my knife a little tricky to deburr, but I hear this isn't everyone's experience. Take it with a grain of salt.
If you think you'll want a slicer and have funds, it's a great price for any quality suji that length honestly.

I find my knife a little tricky to deburr, but I hear this isn't everyone's experience. Take it with a grain of salt.
I find that most SG2/R2 is trickier to deburr than any carbon knife. SRS15 is similar (maybe a little easier). I didn't appreciate this until my sharpening had reached a particular level of proficeincy. I guess I wasn't appreciating that the burr was still there, let alone that it was limiting the keeness of my edge.

My experience with Blazen is similar to other knives made of this steel.

The KDM works well with SG2. Almost feels like cheating.

I also find that combination of @Sailor 's decreasing pressure levels to abrade the burr (finishing each stone with very light edge leading strokes, then a longitudinal stroke), @Dave Martell 's repeating the last stone or two (I only do it with the lightest pressure level) of sharpening will produce a clean edge. Takes a bit more effort than KDM though.

Last edited:
What would you guys do if something you hadn't been considering comes up at a great price? Take it or leave it?
I generally wouldn't bother unless I really wanted it and am going to use it, as a knife that is 50% off means you spent 50% for nothing if you are not going to use it. Knives are relatively difficult to store, handle and ship so these will erode any savings even if you resell or trade later.

That said, a light R2 sujiiki that is well made is a beautiful thing and you might find yourself liking it even though you never thought about getting one.

Idk, if I see something attractive heavily discounted I buy it. Then I get to try it out and sell it for the same price very easily. Knives are pretty easy to store, handle and ship, after all, and you only lose $20 or so on shipping/fees when (not if, in my case) you decide to resell, at least if you're selling within the US. I get that it is harder if you live in Singapore, though.

If you want to try it, then different story obviously. But if you buy thinking you can readily resell, you need to price in the value of your time. Teenagers have made a lot more money flipping sneakers for similar effort, for example, so I don't understand some people's thinking on flipping knives. YMMV.

Oh, you're talking about buying something you never plan to use and then trying to flip it? That's a depressing waste of time. But I'm curious about trying like 50% of knives out there, so it's frequent that something comes up that I haven't been considering that I wouldn't mind trying. That's why I have a Toyama nakiri, for instance.

So, while I'm still contemplating which first gyuto to buy - as discussed here: Looking for a 210mm gyuto from an European shop - a friend of a friend is selling a brand new 270mm Ryusen Blazen sujihiki. He is asking 215 euro.

It retails for 400 euro where I live. This one here: Ryusen Blazen (武礼禅龍) Sujihiki 270mm SG2 (BZ-109)

Good buy? The 210mm Blazen gyuto is on my wishlist (out of stock now), so it would be a great combo together.

But, I see I can also get for example an Anryu Blue #2 for the same price: https://www.**************.com/kaanassu27.html And I'm kind of interested in the Anryu Blue gyuto as well. I should say I have no preference for ss over carbon.

I've not the foggiest idea why in the world you would buy a 270 suji if you want a 210 gyuto??? Silly IMO.

Only buy a 270mm Ryusen Blazen sujihiki if that's what you want. To my it's idiocy to buy something if it's only because it is a great deal—unless you are into selling it for profit, which is totally fine. Why accumulate cut-rate knives you didn't want in the first place?

Absolutely nothing, if you want a 270 suji.
Then I fail to see your point. Why would I buy a 270mm suji if I didn’t want it?

I may be new here but I don’t like being called silly. I’m going to assume you didn’t really read my OP and was just assuming I’d buy the suji instead of the gyuto. Just to recap what I had written: the 210 gyuto is sold out and while I’m waiting for it to come back in stock someone has offered me a 270 suji. As I want a suji at some point, my thinking is to make use of this opportunity now instead of buying the gyuto first. As it happens I will pick it up this Friday.

Then I fail to see your point. Why would I buy a 270mm suji if I didn’t want it?

I may be new here but I don’t like being called silly. I’m going to assume you didn’t really read my OP and was just assuming I’d buy the suji instead of the gyuto. Just to recap what I had written: the 210 gyuto is sold out and while I’m waiting for it to come back in stock someone has offered me a 270 suji. As I want a suji at some point, my thinking is to make use of this opportunity now instead of buying the gyuto first. As it happens I will pick it up this Friday.
Apologize. I wasn’t calling you silly, I did say “IMO,” expressing my strong opinion. Everyone has their own methods of collecting, take my opinions with a grain of salt, as with other opinions—whatever works for you is cool by me.

Again, sorry for any offense, totally unintentional, I can be direct, candid—perhaps it’s a NYC thing.

Wouldn't want to miss that opportunity. In the unlikely case you can't get used to it selling it won't be a problem.
A 270mm suji is a useful complement to a relatively short chef's as the 210mm. Think cabbage, melons.

From everything you've said so far OP, it sounds like you'd enjoy a nice R2 sujihiki and would be in a position to resell it if you don't want to keep it. Go try it if you agree!

Just an update regarding this deal. Well, so far for BNIB! ;)

I passed on this because the knife was used, probably a year or so or even longer. As a sujihiki isn’t my main priority right now, I thought it best to let this one go. Next time better luck!

By the way, the knife is still for sale at that price, and perhaps for an even lower price. Happy to gauge interest with the seller if someone here is interested but I won’t be taking any financial risks myself here.

btw, the Ryusen Blazen 21cm Gyuto is available from meesterslijpers.nl in the Netherlands.

btw, the Ryusen Blazen 21cm Gyuto is available from meesterslijpers.nl in the Netherlands.
Thank you !! I just found one online !! and the price is great once 20+% VAT tax is removed and free shipping to US!!

Latest posts

Back