I cook a lot of seafood these days

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Red Snapper and king salmon. 14 days aged.

IMG_20200622_191300_955.jpg
IMG_20200622_151737_006.jpg

Just found out we will be salting 70# of sardines on monday, first time for me. Excited to try it

We are also running my dry aged salmon as our weekly feature this week. I have 14 (8-9# ea)fish hanging right now, I would not be surprised if we sold all those fillets before friday rolled around.

Crayfish is what they're called when they are shelled and sauced for service. Etouffee, maybe a Po Boy. About $25/serving. "Oh, they taste like little lobsters!"

Crawdads are plated heads off, shells on. Jambalaya and the like. $15/serving.

Mud bugs, heads on, newspapers down, with potatoes, onions and sausage. A "boil" Served (not plated) all over the table - watch the dog. $5/serving includes a beer.

Didn't know the yanks did these - looking forward to your pics.

We move to a new store space next week and I cannot wait to be setting giant, open air cases instead of these monstrosities.

I have a pet lobster living in the shellfish case right now though, well until somebody sold him today!

IMG_20200807_084004767_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200807_090024779.jpg

Can you tell us more about dry aging fish (let's keep it to the most common)? What kind of changes to flavor and texture do you experience? What are the time schedules like? Say I catch a nice striped bass...what would I have to do to it? Do you need a special humidity and temp controlled chamber or can I age it in my house fridge? If I need a special chamber, can I age it in my dry age beef fridge?

The whole fish cookbook had a good rundown for dry aging at home. I'm still finding out what works best, a dedicated fridge is definitely best so that conditions remain consistent.

Much like beef, you're reducing water content and concentrates the fat content and flavor of that fish as well as allowing the connective tissues to relax as well making the meat more tender.

Every fish is different, it's mostly trial and error. A 1# bronzini is perfect after 2 days but I prefer taking a similar sized yellowtail snapper for 5 days.

I would really worry about cross contamination aging beef and fish together honestly.

Last edited:
Back