I don't know how did I become totally obsessed with knives so fast!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gicasorzo

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm totally new in this world of high quality knives. I love to cook, and this made me want to buy an acceptable western chef knife from Amazon. I really freaked out because in my home we used to have really bad knives. Then, time passed and the edge of my Mercer knife wasn't like new, so I started researching about sharpening stones and techniques. Then I added my shapton pro 1000 and a leather strop to the team. Lately, I started researching more about knives because I want to buy a Japanese style knife, more light weight, made of carbon steel, with better edge retention, and that make me feel like a samurai cutting onions like butter. And well, I ended here haha.

Welcome fellow new person. This forum has been a wealth of information to me as I hope it is you.

Welcome to the forum, and to the hobby.

Lately, I started researching more about knives because I want to buy a Japanese style knife, more light weight, made of carbon steel, with better edge retention, and that make me feel like a samurai cutting onions like butter. And well, I ended here haha.

Oh, I wouldn't say you ended here. I'd say you began here. You'll probably be saying that too, in a year or so. Enjoy the journey.

Welcome to the forum, and to the hobby.

Oh, I wouldn't say you ended here. I'd say you began here. You'll probably be saying that too, in a year or so. Enjoy the journey.
Yeah you'll be saying why didn't I discover this site 6 years ago when Kato's and Shig's were unappreciated and priced accordingly.
At least if you fall under the TF spell you'll be getting a better product now with just the right amount of wabi sabi.
maker_fujiwara.jpg

Hello everyone! I'm totally new in this world of high quality knives. I love to cook, and this made me want to buy an acceptable western chef knife from Amazon. I really freaked out because in my home we used to have really bad knives. Then, time passed and the edge of my Mercer knife wasn't like new, so I started researching about sharpening stones and techniques. Then I added my shapton pro 1000 and a leather strop to the team. Lately, I started researching more about knives because I want to buy a Japanese style knife, more light weight, made of carbon steel, with better edge retention, and that make me feel like a samurai cutting onions like butter. And well, I ended here haha.
Welcome..!

Learn to sharpen and your Mercer will be the envy of all your friends..

Welcome..!

Learn to sharpen and your Mercer will be the envy of all your friends..
haha it already is! After some practice the Mercer was cutting paper very smoothly. My family and friends were totally surprised! Now I offered them help for sherpening their knives so I get more experience.

Yesterday I bought my first hand-forged japanese knife! I'm so anxious for it to arrive! After a lot of research and help from people of the forum, I got a Shinko Seilan Aogami Super Gyuto Kiritsuke Ktip 240 mm by Shiro Kamo. And I will keep my Mercer for the more tough work (cutting a chicken or ribs, frozen things, etc.). I also got a flattening plate (atoma 140). My next step would be a low grit stone to help recover totally dull knives (was thinking on a Shapton pro 320). And a finishing stone (I'm looking for different opinions but it has been hard to decide. I was thinking in Shapton pro 5k or Naniwa SS 3k, but I have to keep with the research haha.

That 1k and a strop will take you a long way. I often don't sharpen above 2k. I'd try out another knife or two before concerning yourself with more stones. :)
That's nice to here. I think I won't buy the low grit stone until I find an old knife to restore from a flea market haha. Do you usually strop using polishing compound?

That's nice to here. I think I won't buy the low grit stone until I find an old knife to restore from a flea market haha. Do you usually strop using polishing compound?

Yeah mostly but that is as much a convenience thing these days as anything else. Meaning, I have a well used strop in a bag within arm's reach of my cutting board. It was loaded with compound quite some time ago. I use this for my touch-ups before jumping in. But, for edge maintenance, I'd be just as happy on bare cardboard.

Back