I found the solution... or did I?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModRQC

Just shutup n' grabbit!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's fairly simple actually, because this needs to stop.

So what I do is to shop, everyday. Everyday I plan to buy something new, and I find something new. Something I hadn't look closely enough, something I hadn't seen before. My recognition of makers, even through rebranding, is getting mightily better - and price range of most is down in my memory too.

Each free moment of the day I feel inclined to, I pursue the browsing for prices, availability, and better options.

In the evening/night, I take this to the cart. Click to proceed to payment. Shut down my browser. Go to sleep.

It's all good in the morning - I can begin again.

Been holding on like this for a couple of weeks now.

Problem is that instead of a couple ones I wanted to buy two weeks ago, I'm now down to about 7 knives I really want to buy - for real - before stopping this - if ever. :rolleyes:

Godammit...

I’m not loaded... would just have bought the goddamn knives otherwise. Got great deals so far - none to be found right now on what I want. Hence the little waiting game... which just seems to add more eventual burden on the financial aspect...

How much have you spent on equipment so far? :p
Do I get to weigh equipment vs handle sales? The handle sales and now knives pay for the workshop upgrades. I am about revenue neutral, and I have learned a ton and dabbled in things I would not have... cnc, making cutting boards, wood turnings ect.

Hmmm. Your OP seems to indicate a knife a day! Either you’re loaded, or this is an unsustainable and unhealthy activity, or both! ;)

It mostly indicates you didn’t read closely enough... :) « click to proceed to payment, shut the browser, go to sleep »

I don’t even make it into Paypal.

Ok, I’ll admit it reads like you say, too. That was the intent - the « make believe » part I do to avoid buying.

Reactions: ian
It mostly indicates you didn’t read closely enough... :) « click to proceed to payment, shut the browser, go to sleep »

I don’t even make it into Paypal.

Ok, I’ll admit it reads like you say, too. That was the intent - the « make believe » part I do to avoid buying.

Aha! I understand now. Your OP is something that I can relate to very well. :)

How do you know you never gonna miss the knife that you sell? I see here everyday people are so regretful.

When you sell a knife you have to have a good reason.

The only knife I regretted selling (and re-bought) was due to someone asking nicely. I had a listing selling the 8" version, making mention of the 10" and was approached about selling the 10". Since I wasn't using it much, I sold, and later regretted and re-bought when a great deal showed up.

Every other knife was sold for a good reason, so I can always live with the sale even if I miss the blade.

I did a fair bit of retail therapy at the start of lockdown, so I sympathise. But if there's no room on the knife rack, don't buy it. Unless you buy a longer knife rack first.

Get into wristwatches instead - you'll end up totally skint, but much quicker.

Get into wristwatches instead - you'll end up totally skint, but much quicker.

For about 10 years now, I've been eyeing the Meistersinger No1 as my 50th birthday present to myself. It was that birthday two weeks ago. Trying to decide if I'm committed to the one hand concept enough or going to use the money to buy a different watch.

For about 10 years now, I've been eyeing the Meistersinger No1 as my 50th birthday present to myself. It was that birthday two weeks ago. Trying to decide if I'm committed to the one hand concept enough or going to use the money to buy a different watch.

If you've been looking at it for ten years, just do it. My 50th treat was a Tudor North Flag (not their most popular watch) and I have zero regrets. Meistersingers are very very cool.

If you've been looking at it for ten years, just do it. My 50th treat was a Tudor North Flag (not their most popular watch) and I have zero regrets. Meistersingers are very very cool.

I had the Meistersigner No1 on my wrist last night and it was so nice. Just last minute doubts creeping in if I want the one hand. The other option that I'm looking at right now is Stowa Marine Original Bronze Vintage - I am so digging that classic pocket watch vibe.

I've acquired a certain dollar value of knives over the years, via selling guns, watches, pocket knives, Xmas, birthday, etc...

It's easier to make purchases when you can shuffle funds around your hobby collections. Sell a watch for $250. Buy a knife for $300. Much easier to answer for $50 than $300. Keep things fluid. Don't get too attached.

My wife knows I have these collections. Im sure she doesn't know I have a 5 figure knife collection, or 5 figures into my knife shop.

I have found another therapy to avoid buying knives: work on those I have even if they don't really need it. As long as I have a knife project going, I'm not even browsing knives in a day sometimes. It's just that I'm getting to the end of that too. I need more knives to have projects with them and not buy others...

Goddamit! :p

Back