I found the solution... or did I?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found another therapy to avoid buying knives: work on those I have even if they don't really need it. As long as I have a knife project going, I'm not even browsing knives in a day sometimes. It's just that I'm getting to the end of that too. I need more knives to have projects with them and not buy others...

Goddamit! :p

Sounds like an argument for practicing mirror- or kasumi-polishes. But for a more practical matter, wouldn't you be better off choosing a good EDC ulu since you had some threads some ways back about having trouble opening boxes?

Sounds like an argument for practicing mirror- or kasumi-polishes. But for a more practical matter, wouldn't you be better off choosing a good EDC ulu since you had some threads some ways back about having trouble opening boxes?

Duh, not my fault if they make tape that sticks. With enough years and dust accumulated, it should get lose and fall on its own. Then I'll finally see the knives.

Now either you didn't understand back then, or you need to let it go.

I did a fair bit of retail therapy at the start of lockdown, so I sympathise. But if there's no room on the knife rack, don't buy it. Unless you buy a longer knife rack first.

Get into wristwatches instead - you'll end up totally skint, but much quicker.

I once decided that if my knife bar and bag were full that was a sufficient number of knives. So then I bought A 3 foot knife bar and 20 slot bag.

What has helped me is to define a goal. Or several ... and only purchase to fulfil them ... and be a little patient with the bst.
Eg.
1. Learn to maintain wide bevel
2. Learn to maintain damascus
3. Have a fancy handle
4 ...

Now now... that's called turning 40 while loving good food and expensive clothing.
So what u want it “just because your 40”
Knock yourself out.... you still buy clothing with purpose, might aswell have a defined purpose that you can cross out and not re-purchase for the same reason.

Think you didn't get the joke... think you're pissed off tonight.

I'll just offer this: anything I could do to help you feel better?

I think the trick is to let something else go from a hobby you’re not as into right now. I’ve been buying shop tools for knife making and other metal projects and have been laying off my audiophile hobby. So, I’ve been selling off some audio gear so that I don’t feel so bad about buying tools. I too put items in my basket instead of buying them, then later I’ll go to my basket and decide what I really need.

So, I’ve been selling off some audio gear
Mmm, I just sold my main amp at the PC back to the bloke I bought it off a few months ago. TBH, I don't think I'll go tubes again for its replacement - not convinced tubes sitting just near a PC is a good combo in terms of noise (or that it matters enough for watching Youtube 🙃

Mmm, I just sold my main amp at the PC back to the bloke I bought it off a few months ago. TBH, I don't think I'll go tubes again for its replacement - not convinced tubes sitting just near a PC is a good combo in terms of noise (or that it matters enough for watching Youtube 🙃
Good enough is all that's needed for streaming music. Compressed to hell...

I have a knife block with one in one out policy. I can buy knives but can’t keep it, unless it kicks an existing knife out of the block, so I am roughly cash neutral in this hobby.

I have found another therapy to avoid buying knives: work on those I have even if they don't really need it. As long as I have a knife project going, I'm not even browsing knives in a day sometimes. It's just that I'm getting to the end of that too. I need more knives to have projects with them and not buy others...

Goddamit! :p

Or make a new handle just because you can, even if the knife already had a great looking custom handle.

Good enough is all that's needed for streaming music. Compressed to hell...
Well, streaming music is getting a lot better now and some services are offering much higher quality. Not sure YouTube justifies high end gear though but tubes can be lovely for smoothing out the nasties.

Latest posts

Back