Quantcast

I haven't heard much about 1084 here.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Don Nguyen

Reaction score
Any opinions on 1084 for kitchen knives?

-Simple and forgiving heat treat
-Good all-around results and performance
-Inexpensive

I realize that we all love to get the absolute most performance possible, or the all-time best looking damascus/hamon, but I don't think I've read anything on these forums on 1084 before.

JohnnyChance

Founding Member
Reaction score
There is some discussion about 1084 here, just not a lot. Search for 1084, I found quite a few results, more than I was expecting. The other 10XX series steels are more common though, like 1095.

jmforge

Banned
Reaction score
"Real" 1084 was kind of hard to find for a while until Aldo Bruno started having it made a couple of years ago. It is one of the preferred steels for making carbon damascus and a lot of people switched over to 1075. 1080 or 1095 for a while. It also makes a very nice mono steel blade. Guys like Jerry Fisk and the other Arkansas makers used it for years before it became hard to find. I would say that if "regular" 1095 works for kitchen blades, then Aldo's 1084 would work just as well and maybe a little better as it has a pinch of vanadium added to the mix to keep the grain small, which, as I understand, is a VERY good thing for kitchen knives.:doublethumbsup:

StephanFowler

Reaction score
I've made a good handful of 1084 knives and would say that even with the added V of Aldo's 1084 they won't tend to get as crazy sharp as W2.

and it will have a more aggressive burr and it's kind of a booger to get the burr to release.

Don Nguyen

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Stephen, I know this is a ridiculous way of trying to quantify performance, but how good/bad, percent-wise, was 1084 compared to W2 or other steels you have worked with?