I just bought a Kazuyuki Tanaka Ironwood -- anyone who can inspect?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As the title said, I got into an incredible deal and found an ironwood Kazuyuki tanaka 210 mm Gyuto + 150mm petty.

As I am not experienced enough, it would be great if the experts among you could check out the pics and help me to confirm if the hole thing is 100% legit. The store is certified by the brand to sell, but you never know with rare knives like this one. Thank you very much in advance!

image0 (1).jpeg
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image1 (1).jpeg
image2 (1).jpeg
image3 (1).jpeg
image4 (1).jpeg

Looks to me these were made by the younger Tanaka. The elder if I remember correctly used a lighter, more layered cladding. The elder Tanaka stopped making knives a very long time ago.

I read in another threat that the dammy pattern on the ones made by the father is generally more random. for example close to the cutting edge, the dammy patterns are more ‘parallel’ to the cutting edge on the Shigeki knives.

Which looks kind of like the ones above? Still puzzled in this regard. It seems like more people have these questions. Is there another indicator to figure this out?

I think if you search back to some older threads there will some pictures and definitive proof as to what you have here. I know this topic has been discussed several times.

It looks legit, I have a few Tanakas. And if anyone could make a copy that good, then they wouldn’t need to make copys :) Oh, and the father passed away 10 years ago so it’s his son Shigeki that runs the company. Not sure, but the company might still bear the fathers name, which could explain the name confusion.

If it is from the shop near Jordan MTR, it is made by Shigeki.
Not sure why you would think otherwise...
Also, pictures of the handle mean nothing as the handles are outsourced and not made by Tanaka.

Back