I just wanna say

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just as with any form you don't know yet: start with the sharpie trick. And so you will recognise the big micro-bevel on the left side with Herder's peelers.

That micro-bevel is long gone. And I'm not THAT bad at them... I can get them sharp. I just hate doing it and in the case of the Herders just rub the start of the handle against the stones, as I hate fussing around to get all of the blade sharp. The worst IMO are really round tips, like on Opinel pocket knives. I know the technique and can do it, but it takes me ages to get it right and gives me no joy. Thank god for I have a honesuki... much more useful tip and so much easier to sharpen!

How did you do that? Saw? File?
Right now the corner of the handle is wearing away... just rather slowly.

Well the Opinel is blunt, the Herder isn't looking any prettier, and I've proven beyond a doubt that I shouldn't pursue a carreer in wood carving... but it's certainly a lot more functional! Thanks again for the tip! This will become standard on all my Herders.

You're welcome, Jovidah! I certainly should have warned it does blunt the Opinel, but sharpening it is always fun to me. Enjoy!

Although I can't say I enjoy sharpening the Opinel much, getting blunt, beaten and otherwise maltreated is exactly what it's there for. :) If it wanted to be treated nicely, it shouldn't have been so cheap!

Once you know you will damage an edge, there are two options: have the blade with the least damage, or have the one with the easiest repair. I prefer a carbon with easy repairing.

This thread has gotten further than I hoped. And now I'm looking for more stones rather than more knives. :)

Even the first carbon knife i got, the loathed Tojiro Shirogami, gets screaming sharp on several combinations of stones and strops in my unskilled hands. And the better knives just scream louder.

I am waiting also.... They got their knifes back so.... guess they are shocked :)..

Greets Sebastian.

@gaijin I wonder if it is loathed because it is really bad, or because it is actually too demanding for users buying knives in that price segment :) Mine is... well, it is what you'd expect of non-handforged shirogami at traditional hardness, no more no less....

In case some people missed sharpchefs point (lost in translation): Usually it is said that there is no point in going to very high grits like 20.000 because the edge won't last, his point is that with pressure control (very light pressure) and perfect angle control, this not only works but gives a razor edge which will last considerably longer than a normal edge at 5000-6000 grit.

That is also one of the reasons the Edge Pro will fail at this: These very light pressures are not possible.

The only advantage can be in a further reduced or almost inexistant burr, while the comparison edge hasn't been fully deburred.

And whoever tried one of the knives sharpend by Seb ( as i did just recently) can testify that this is true!

@Benuser could a very closed edge, with very little to offer in terms of stress concentrators or points where a tough cutting medium can snag and rip metal off, not be very durable indeed - though it would lack even a ghost of a bite?

@Benuser could a very closed edge, with very little to offer in terms of stress concentrators or points where a tough cutting medium can snag and rip metal off, not be very durable indeed - though it would lack even a ghost of a bite?

Not sure I even understand a single word of what you're saying.

You'll have some feedback when I have got to use it. So long you can have some pics; it's a very well done microbevel (and I sort of expected that since it took you a month) https://imgur.com/gallery/XjtOc

Just a little bit of wireedge.

I am waiting also.... They got their knifes back so.... guess they are shocked :)..

Greets Sebastian.

Ha, I read this thread pretty much by accident. The knife is waiting for its use - that will happen over the next few days. What I can say already is that you did a great job thinning and adjusting the geometry. The edge as it is now does not want to shave, but seems it is going to have quite some bite. I will share more in a few days.

OK, the knife from Sharpchef just proved itself. The grind is great, the knife cuts very well - pretty incomparable to its original condition. I have quickly taken it to a Uchigumori stone and then fingerstones - now it also looks beautifully :) (OK, I may need to take it to a 2k and 4k stones to take out some scratches as the Uchigumori is of course a rather fine stone, but still).

So, Sharpchef, job well done :thumbsup:

I bought this blade as a project knife (I did the handle, now Sharpchef upped the grind) to play with and sell later, but now it turned into quite a performer, so I am not su sure anymore about the selling ... :)

Ok so the Uchigimori session worked (maybe you killed the sharpness while doing this ?), so i succeedet in dug out the Impuritys of the iron.... This is good to hear.

I was confused by the grinding of Tanaka in this case, this was really bad.

Greets Sebastian.

Back