I need a new knive (I think I'm addicted)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neutri

Reaction score
Hello,
BF is coming up really soon and I wasn't planning on buying a new knife for the foreseeable future but I might take advantage of all the discounts so I'm looking for you help again ^_^. I currently have a Takamura Chromax 210mm Gyuto as my main knife and I really like it. I want to buy another one but maybe something that's not exactly the same. Here is the questionnaire.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in Gyuto with a pointy tip or a kiritsuke

Are you right or left handed? Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? I'd rather have a japanese handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? Maybe 240 mm so I can try that length but if it's out of budget I suppose 210 should be okay

Do you require a stainless knife? Not necessarily

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? 300€ so around 250 USD in case of customs if I buy from outside europe

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for: slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables. Meatless mealprep basically

What knife, if any, are you replacing? None

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? Pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? Slicing, push cut and sometimes rocking when the knife has a big belly but not my favourite.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics This is weird request of mine but I want a pointy tip like a kiritsuke or Kurosaki Gekko/Senko Gyutos

Comfort? Nothing in particular

Ease of Use ? Something I can sharpen with shapton glass stones.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? Yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? Yes (not a good thing for the knives for now)

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I don't want a kuroichi finish but I don't know if other finishes will fit into my budget and I want a pointy tip

Thank you very much for your time :)

If at the end of this thread you're looking to get a Yoshi SKD 240 let me know; I'm going to sell mine but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Going 240 to try a different length is indeed the right instinct IMO. Plenty of great options exist easily within that budget!

Edit: didn't see you want a K-tip; my Yoshi has a normal tip. Insisting on K-tip does take a lot of options off the table.

Last edited:
You're in France? Check out HSC Knives. The maker, Harbeer, is located in France and he makes great knives.
Yes he contacted me and I'm gonna check out his knives. Thank you :)
^Would second that but not going to fit the budget
Yeah it appears so, but if I can get my own custom knife, maybe I'll up my budget

If at the end of this thread you're looking to get a Yoshi SKD 240 let me know; I'm going to sell mine but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Going 240 to try a different length is indeed the right instinct IMO. Plenty of great options exist easily within that budget!

Edit: didn't see you want a K-tip; my Yoshi has a normal tip. Insisting on K-tip does take a lot of options off the table.
Might take that requirement off at some point

is Kurosaki SG2 Senko 240 gyuto a good choice? I mean I like the design but I don't know if it's a good idea to take SG2 steel if I want to sharpen it myself. I have Shapton glass stones
1669282963351.png

They are quite good, just note they are very thin. Great cutters but gotta be mindful they can be fragile. Shapton glass will do just fine for Sg2.

is Kurosaki SG2 Senko 240 gyuto a good choice? I mean I like the design but I don't know if it's a good idea to take SG2 steel if I want to sharpen it myself. I have Shapton glass stones
The Shaptons will certainly do. However, sharpening SG-2, especially when deburring, is far from simple.

For stainless steel gyutos, here are a few ideas:

JNS Kaeru Kasumi Stainless SLD 240mm Kaeru Kasumi Stainless Gyuto 240mm (very well respected, tough as nails, good grind)
Kazoku Ginsan Nashiji Gyuto 240mm Kazoku Ginsan Nashiji Gyuto 24 cm (lots of knife for less money, no need to baby it like the chromax)

Not interested in a petty 135mm or 150mm? Or a Nakiri since you mostly cut veggies?

Too bad you're not "attracted" by kurouchi and /or by munetoshi, because the the new ones listed on jns seems to match all your requirements...as said up above and in pm munetoshi is a really good start in the wh category. Sharp and easy to sharpen.
Also, as said in pm I have a gyuto for now something like 4 years I think and the kurouchi is still pretty much the same. It doesn't wash off at all.

Too bad you're not "attracted" by kurouchi and /or by munetoshi, because the the new ones listed on jns seems to match all your requirements...as said up above and in pm munetoshi is a really good start in the wh category. Sharp and easy to sharpen.
Also, as said in pm I have a gyuto for now something like 4 years I think and the kurouchi is still pretty much the same. It doesn't wash off at all.
Alright, I'll keep that in mind and will consider it. I do like it but I wanted something else first aha

You might like the shibata koutetsu sg2 line. They are all sorta bunka shaped, excellent fit and finish, and very thin throughout. When they go sale, and in stock, you can find them at the price point you're after

Back