I need some help guys. ( serious stuffy here)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sachem allison

Reaction score
You guys know that I am not one to ask for help lightly, but this isn't for me. I met a young lady, the other day who just lit up my world ( not the pastry chef) She is a beautiful spirit and a beautiful lady and she has suffered from multiple bouts of Cancer. She is tough and feisty. She found out that I was part Native American and told me that she had been having dreams of flying away with birds and finally being free and happy. As a Native, I know what that dream means and the birds that she picked couldn't have been more apt. They are very sacred to many tribes and are messengers of sorts and tricksters. I want to make her a medicine bundle, for her journey. She isn't afraid, she considers it a new life and she will finally be able to fly. I have very rarely been privileged enough to come into contact with a more compassionate group of people than you guys, I am not asking for donations. I need help finding feathers. I need some red tailed hawk, bluebird, raven(not crow) and owl feathers. I normally have these or can get them from various medicine men or elders, but I now live in NYC and communication on the rez is mediocre at best and many of my feathers were destroyed or taken during the robbery, not because they knew what they were taking.
I know that many of you guys live in areas were these birds are and may have picked some up in your walks or travels. If you guys could spare one or two, I would be forever in your debt and you will give a beautiful young lady a chance to fly.
Thank you, Sachem Son

Son, i am an avid fly fisherman and i tie my own flies. I will look in my stash and see what i can find, I will also get with a few friends and see what i can get for you.

I need some red tailed hawk, bluebird, raven(not crow) and owl feathers.

Please know that I'm not trying to be some dick-head spoil sport but the possession of migratory bird and/or raptor feathers is illegal and penalties can be severe. I understand that there are some exemptions for Native Americans but beyond that the laws are quite clear.

I understand and applaud your motivation...just sayin' be careful. All it takes is one overzealous DNR agent or the like. There are plenty of non native species with attractive plumage that might serve your purposes.

I have a Boy Scout Troop here in Louisville, and we are going out this weekend-we will search. Amazingly enough, there is a pair of Red Tails in our neighborhood, I have seen the male hunting and perching on the fence outside my window. I will check for feathers. My respect for you grows, Son.

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

From the U.S. Department of the Interior:

"Many people ask “If I find an eagle or hawk feather, can I keep it?” The answer is "No." All raptors are protected by state and federal regulations. It is illegal to capture or kill a raptor; possess a raptor (living or dead), or any pieces or parts of raptors, including feathers, without proper permits from state and federal government agencies."

I will now shut up on this subject.

Well our esteemed president just gave a tribe in Wyoming the right to hunt the Bald Eagle, so maybe there will be feathers on the market real soon :-(
(not sure about the other birds, however.)

-M

Eh, we used to keep every bird we'd hit in our car(it was a '79 Lincoln Town Car, so a lot of birds), and gave it to a cherokee guy that lived in Mathis. I really wouldn't worry about picking up feathers or carcasses being a problem unless you are on a national park or wildlife refuge with a game warden nearby.

cannot purchase feathers for legal reasons. They must be given freely or found. This is a sacred thing for a sacred reason and must remain untainted. thank you for your offer, I appreciate it my friend
I am a member of the tribe and would not ask anyone to risk any thing. The young lady is also native and we have legal rights to possess the feathers for ceremonial purposes. If at any time the moderators or Dave feel uncomfortable about my request, please remove the thread, as I do not anyone to feel uncomfortable.

I am just curious about the differences between raven and crow feathers. I know I have seen both but I am not remembering the differences.

raven is a much bigger bird, they have black beaks with a hump on them. generally much smarter. They play a major role in many native cultures.

raven-8.jpg

I see some of these feathers from time to time when walking around with the kids. I'll be sure to send 'em over, if I find them.

From the U.S. Department of the Interior:

"Many people ask “If I find an eagle or hawk feather, can I keep it?” The answer is "No." All raptors are protected by state and federal regulations. It is illegal to capture or kill a raptor; possess a raptor (living or dead), or any pieces or parts of raptors, including feathers, without proper permits from state and federal government agencies."

As a certified Trainer of Boy Scout Leaders and a member of the Leave No Trace outdoor skills class, I stipulate to potentially expensive Federal and State statute prohibitng removal of raptor feathers per Chifunda's statement, and express appreciation for his respect for the rule of law-it is a tenet of citizenship we try to teach our boys. Considering the circumstances, I choose to take my chances with the Criminal Justice System of which I am a part. Sometimes you break the rules, another lesson I will teach them.

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

I one hundred percent agree with what Chifunda has said also and again I say if you have any doubts or misgivings please do not do anything. I will take full responsibility for this. I made a promise to help in anyway I can and that means taking responsibility for my actions. I will help here, because I can't do anything less than that. I thank all of you for your concern. I am not asking anybody to harm or hunt any of these birds, only pick up what you find, that is it. please do not harm anything for her or me.
sachem

Please know that I'm not trying to be some dick-head spoil sport but the possession of migratory bird and/or raptor feathers is illegal and penalties can be severe. I understand that there are some exemptions for Native Americans but beyond that the laws are quite clear.

I understand and applaud your motivation...just sayin' be careful. All it takes is one overzealous DNR agent or the like. There are plenty of non native species with attractive plumage that might serve your purposes.

it isn't the attractive plumage part that is needed, these birds are sacred and the purpose of the feathers is to carry her spirit to the creator, These particular birds have been in her dreams for awhile now and are waiting to take her home. This is what she believes and I will not deny her that belief. I understand were you are coming from and in my normal life I would be right beside you warning others. I ,however because of a role thrust upon me years ago that I never fully accepted cannot deny her her request it would be spiritual murder. I'm willing to make the sacrifice for her. respectfully, sachem

Son,

Isn't there a reserve in Arizona that collects / distributes protected species feathers to native americans for rituals? I was on a trip back in college while I was taking a couple of native american studies classes and ran across some place that did that. Sorry, I do not remember the name, it was almost twenty years ago.

Eric

sachem,

I hope I made it clear that I'm completely simpatico with what you are doing for the young lady and admire you for your sentiment.

Son,

Isn't there a reserve in Arizona that collects / distributes protected species feathers to native americans for rituals? I was on a trip back in college while I was taking a couple of native american studies classes and ran across some place that did that. Sorry, I do not remember the name, it was almost twenty years ago.

Eric
I know what you are talking about, but I don't remember them. This needs to be done out of love and friendship though, a little different type of ceremony. I will have to dust off, my old self and perform this one and when it is done, put that self away again.
thank you, Eric. I wish I was still in Wisconsin then I could go to the Menominee Rez and talk to the elders there. I'm sure that they would do a much better job then this old bear.

sachem,

I hope I made it clear that I'm completely simpatico with what you are doing for the young lady and admire you for your sentiment.

I 100 percent understand and I appreciate you concern, when I posted originally, I didn't really think about that. I just wanted to help her. I am glad you pointed this out that way people are aware. no worries here.
thank you

Information on feather repositories can be found here.

Don't know if they'd be able to meet your needs, but it doesn't hurt to check them out.

Good luck.

You guys know that I am not one to ask for help lightly, but this isn't for me. I met a young lady, the other day who just lit up my world ( not the pastry chef) She is a beautiful spirit and a beautiful lady and she has suffered from multiple bouts of Cancer. She is tough and feisty. She found out that I was part Native American and told me that she had been having dreams of flying away with birds and finally being free and happy. As a Native, I know what that dream means and the birds that she picked couldn't have been more apt. They are very sacred to many tribes and are messengers of sorts and tricksters. I want to make her a medicine bundle, for her journey. She isn't afraid, she considers it a new life and she will finally be able to fly. I have very rarely been privileged enough to come into contact with a more compassionate group of people than you guys, I am not asking for donations. I need help finding feathers. I need some red tailed hawk, bluebird, raven(not crow) and owl feathers. I normally have these or can get them from various medicine men or elders, but I now live in NYC and communication on the rez is mediocre at best and many of my feathers were destroyed or taken during the robbery, not because they knew what they were taking.
I know that many of you guys live in areas were these birds are and may have picked some up in your walks or travels. If you guys could spare one or two, I would be forever in your debt and you will give a beautiful young lady a chance to fly.
Thank you, Sachem Son

I think I registered on the Knife Forums in 2007. And have been active on the web since the day. This is the coolest post I have ever seen bar none.

If I may offer one humble piece of advice.......Don't rely too much on the feathers. Take care of business.

got ahold of them and to get all the relevant paperwork and agencies together would take too long. I don't have that much time. I started the process anyway, she is a tough little girl. you never know. Thank you,
Sachem

I think I registered on the Knife Forums in 2007. And have been active on the web since the day. This is the coolest post I have ever seen bar none.

If I may offer one humble piece of advice.......Don't rely too much on the feathers. Take care of business.
Salty, I am going to make it right, one way or another. The feathers aren't important in the end, you are right in that. They are purely symbolic. I could give her any feather and tell her what she wanted to hear and she would believe me and be okay and I would die inside. This is as much for me as her I guess. I suppose I am being a little selfish here. I don't know what the right thing is, but if I can give her this one gift maybe she can smile more than she already does. They tell me she is the one always smiling and telling everyone it will be alright. Who is going to tell her it will be alright, without bursting into tears. I promised her and I think she knows that it is the search that is important for her , another adventure so to speak. I gave her my word and I can't fail this time.
I will take care of business, that's for sure.

I applaud your efforts and wish I could help more. May her journey be a peaceful one.

As a side note. Why is it illegal to keep a feather I found on the ground? Curious.

Son, I don't have any feathers. Is there any other way to help?

As a side note. Why is it illegal to keep a feather I found on the ground? Curious.

I guess so that if they catch someone in possession of one, they can feel free to assume the worst (that the person killed a protected animal for the feather) and to dissuade a market from forming that would encourage poaching. It does seem strange though. Can't really imagine anyone being charged with a crime for possessing a feather or two that was obtained by peaceful/honest means.

Best of luck to you Son, and to your friend. Sad situation.

Perhaps try Canada? I have no idea if this makes it harder or easier but its worth a shot to call and ask.

http://aht.ca/

This is a downtown branch that I know of but they may help you contact who you need. I believe they have traditional elders/healers there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back