i stopped drinking alchohol.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
i dont have a problem. not an addiction problem because i was only having maybe 5 pints a week. but i was having some weird health issues. the most alarming was my liver functions were not perfect. blood test showed my liver was sending out an SOS. so last november i made the decsion to quit drinking alchohol. i think my last wine was my thanksgiving meal. since then, i have had maybe five or six beers with friends and coworkers. everyone one of those beers was like a choir of angels singing in my mouth. so damn delicious. i'll occastionally take a sip of my wife's glass of wine.

i am fine with it. in fact, i am surprised i am fine with it. i still meet my friends, but i'll order a glass of ice tea or something.

i am losing weight, my skin is better. i sleep better, and i....well, lets just say my "sanitation department" is working way better. i spend less money. i tend to buy rounds more than i get them. haha.

blood test are improving.

now i need to quit sugar. haha.

Good for you! That's not easy, and you should be proud of yourself. Now you can use this success and it's results to encourage you into your next goal! If you'd like another great place to look for a huge difference in overall health, I'd recommend looking into seed oils, specifically, anything that isn't EVOO, coconut oil, or lard/tallow.

Sounds like a good decision and if you see positive reactions from your body then stick with it.

I almost completely quit alcohol a few years ago. Without any health problem, simply because drinking alcohol on almost every occasion in our society (I'm talking about Germany) has become too normal and I've seen more and more people who can't control alcohol anymore. It just disgusted me more and more and in addition I don't like drunk people who easily lose control of their behavior.

For me it's pleasant, I drink maybe (maximum) 1-2 times a month! small glass of good wine or whiskey. In peace and with pleasure, simply for the taste and as a rare luxury. Sometimes nothing at all for months.

I don't miss anything!

And I've drastically reduced the sugar in the meantime... I don't miss anything there either ;)

I basically stopped drinking about six months ago due to some unrelated health issues. At this juncture I only very mildly miss it, alcohol is a social beverage for me and in this covid world of reduced social interaction it doesn't have the same contextual environment that it did pre-covid. I probably will return to drinking a couple times a month this fall, the very occasional solitary glass of wine, beer, or mixed drink/cocktail.
A friend of mine quit alcohol and dairy several years ago and lost about twenty pounds without making any other dietary adjustments.

I quit for a few months a couple of years ago, man o'man the weight dropped right off me.
Our biggest problem is when we open a bottle of wine later in the evening, then the snacks come out too...
My weight has climbed back up to where it used to be, so it's time for another long period of abstinence I think, but I'm gonna wait until after our summer getaway.

That is great, I just started having issues when drinking beer. I have stopped beer and I am trying not to drink but not cutting it off outside of beer. I do feel better so I am very encouraged, and also really angry I cant have beer.......

Interesting, as I always found a couple of beers -- especially wheat -- did a great job ensuring at least some temporary weight loss the next morning... 🚽

to add. sitting at a dinner party with a room full of drunk people is the oddest thing. i hope i never looked/acted like that. i sat with the CUTEST young woman, and she looked at me, looked at the group, and said, "i think you an i are the only sober people here". it was fun talking to her. i dont need alchohol for social lubrication anymore. hahah... i'm very happyily married, so our conversation was very harmless. i replied to her, "if they keep drinking, i bet we can get our dinner for free - they wont be able to do math".

Well done! I enjoy a glass of wine or several far too much.

Regarding sugar, I recently discovered monk fruit sweetener. You can get it with or without erythritol (a fruits sugar alcohol) and it's the best sugar substitute I've ever tasted.

Interesting, as I always found a couple of beers -- especially wheat -- did a great job ensuring at least some temporary weight loss the next morning... 🚽

Several times... particularly in my younger years... I think I drank some 'off' beer... I dunno what happened? It must have gone 'off' because I lost weight from both ends...

i dont have a problem. not an addiction problem because i was only having maybe 5 pints a week. but i was having some weird health issues. the most alarming was my liver functions were not perfect. blood test showed my liver was sending out an SOS. so last november i made the decsion to quit drinking alchohol. i think my last wine was my thanksgiving meal. since then, i have had maybe five or six beers with friends and coworkers. everyone one of those beers was like a choir of angels singing in my mouth. so damn delicious. i'll occastionally take a sip of my wife's glass of wine.

i am fine with it. in fact, i am surprised i am fine with it. i still meet my friends, but i'll order a glass of ice tea or something.

i am losing weight, my skin is better. i sleep better, and i....well, lets just say my "sanitation department" is working way better. i spend less money. i tend to buy rounds more than i get them. haha.

blood test are improving.

now i need to quit sugar. haha.

That is awesome. Congratulations!

I would not consider my drinking habits to be anywhere close to addiction either... I go through cycles of 'quitting' and 'indulging'. I have no health reasons or desire to quit entirely. Everything in moderation. I will happily share a glass of wine or beer over a social dinner.

I am interested in quitting drinking at home. As I get older... I can feel the experience being increasingly occupied by the less fun aspects of drinking. Whilst one beer... maybe two... can be a great way of relaxing, it is now followed by an intense wave of sleepiness. I dont think the sleep is that great either. Sometimes that is fine... other times it is an impediment. I also wonder about the long term habitual and mental patterns we develop with alcohol? Having a drink because it was a hard day at work... or because it is a nice sunny Sunday is fine. On the other hand, if you strive to avoid those behavioural patterns, you can have just as good a time without the extra load on your body. But... it can be a choir of angels singing.... hence my cycles of 'quitting' and 'indulging'.

Youre onto a good thing. Keep it up!

sitting at a dinner party with a room full of drunk people is the oddest thing

If you are sober, drunk people are the worst! Even when you are drunk... drunk people can be the worst.

Last edited:
In the past years i have just naturally drifted away from binge drinking. Every once in awhile I let my hair down, but the glass or two of whiskey after work is usually all i get into these days.

Now if we started talking about smoking tree...

Latest posts

Back