I think I’m going crazy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishmanDE

Reaction score
So, one thing I set out to do during the pandemic was to become a good sharpener. At one point in the last year, I felt like I was. Now I sharpen, and no edge seems to satisfy me. Nothing feels “sharp” to me anymore. I’m either crazy or I’m doing something wrong. But every knife easily passes paper tests, no issues cutting food and my wife is afraid to use them as they are “disgustingly sharp”. Has anyone else experienced this?Have I just gotten used to it? Or is there a chance I can make them sharper?

It’s impossible to get a really satisfying edge off a synthetic stone. You really need to invest in a good natural stone. This one looks ok, though.

Assuming the first part of this was serious, what exactly should I look for? I tried to dip my toes into jnats and picked up an $80 one off of Togo, but I hardly use it (maybe I should try it more often).

Point worth noting i think, the B2 gihei I just traded was the only one that got “crazy sharp”. So maybe is the steel? Maybe of being to Brutish with my W2 guys?

What stones do you finish on? In terms of grit? Do you use a strop on the stones? Loaded or unloaded?

What you are describing sounds like a very sharp edge with no bite. A high finish is good for razors, not so good for kitchen knives ...

And if I'm right with my assumption, then you can solve your problem without natural stones ...

Assuming the first part of this was serious, what exactly should I look for? I tried to dip my toes into jnats and picked up an $80 one off of Togo, but I hardly use it (maybe I should try it more often).

Sorry, the whole thing was a joke. I never do edges on jnats. Gesshin 4k and done for carbons. Strop on cardboard.

Seriously, your standards might be too high. Although if you can indicate some sort of specific quality that you want your edge to have that it doesn’t have, maybe we could help. If you really just want it to have some (imaginary) rapturous otherness, then it might actually help to buy the unicorn stone.

What stones do you finish on? In terms of grit? Do you use a strop on the stones? Loaded or unloaded?

What you are describing sounds like a very sharp edge with no bite. A high finish is good for razors, not so good for kitchen knives ...

And if I'm right with my assumption, then you can solve your problem without natural stones ...

Yea, I definitely still have some bite, so I don’t think it’s an issue with over polishing. But maybe it is, as I’ve def applied too much pressure in the pst, so maybe on those few strips on the 6k I’m pressing too hard?

What knives (and steel type) are you sharpening that at one point felt very sharp, but no longer feel very sharp to you?

Sorry, the whole thing was a joke. I never do edges on jnats. Gesshin 4k and done for carbons. Strop on cardboard.

Seriously, your standards might be too high. Although if you can indicate some sort of specific quality that you want your edge to have that it doesn’t have, maybe we could help. If you really just want it to have some (imaginary) rapturous otherness, then it might actually help to buy the unicorn stone.

Lol, I though so but I didn’t want to offend. I think my standards might not match my skill level currently. I want to touch the edge and fear for my life, but at this point, I’ll settle for fear of losing a finger

What knives (and steel type) are you sharpening that at one point felt very sharp, but no longer feel very sharp to you?

Well, to be fair, they are the same knives. Earlier in the year, my blue 2 were getting very sharp, and since then, I’ve picked up a few new knives, the specific two in question being Mazaki (ku and migaki) and I just can’t seem to get them sharp. I though it might just be differences in steel, but now the takeda I have doesn’t feel sharp either.

Maybe my process is wrong. I go:

Shapton g 500 (build)
Shapton g 2k (deburr)
Either shapton 4K or king 6k (strop)

Interesting. My experience with Aogami Super is that it feels very sharp/toothy after a good sharpening session. For an experiment try stopping after the 500. Then next session stop after the 2k... just a thought.

I think you'll need to come up with a better way to measure an edge. HHT, Bess Tester, Ripe Tomatoes, Free Standing Paper. I go two routes, Naniwa Pro 2k with mild stropping for an aggressively toothy edge or a zen sharpening session up to 12k that can do the silly tricks etc.

I think I’m going crazy...

You're here and you're doubting this?
Like.

I think most of us get there at times. If it cuts well and lasts a reasonable time then most likely it is all in your head. Your standards might be much higher now. There are very few edges that impress me anymore be it mine or other's whom are much better than me. Not to say that these edges are bad, they are excellent and cut food very well, but I don't get amazed anymore.

I went through this 100%. At first you're happy you can make a dull object sharp. Then the goal posts change. Then you start chasing strops and jnats. Then you come back to your Gesshin 2k because you realize cutting pepper skins is more important then fish slices you can see your reflection in.

Have you considered the HHT test? It's not a super useful edge, but if you do it clean (not a foil edge), it's a good validation of your skills.

Also remember the paper towel test is often a function of stropping, not necessarily stones. Although 40 ounce seems to be the annoying exception. Dang, maybe I still have room to grow. And the cycle continues.

So, one thing I set out to do during the pandemic was to become a good sharpener. At one point in the last year, I felt like I was. Now I sharpen, and no edge seems to satisfy me. Nothing feels “sharp” to me anymore. I’m either crazy or I’m doing something wrong. But every knife easily passes paper tests, no issues cutting food and my wife is afraid to use them as they are “disgustingly sharp”. Has anyone else experienced this?Have I just gotten used to it? Or is there a chance I can make them sharper?
Yes. Thats where I am now. My knives are sharp enough for the paper test and will shave hair off your arm, but they don't feel sharp using the 3 finger test.

Maybe my process is wrong. I go:

Shapton g 500 (build)
Shapton g 2k (deburr)
Either shapton 4K or king 6k (strop)

Honestly, Jon's 6k diamond has kinda blown my mind. And this if coming from a longstanding jnat guy who gets lovely edges from my stable of natural midgrits and finishing stones. The 6k diamond edge has great bite and yet still that hint of refinement for more slicing oriented tasks. I believe Jon described it as producing nearly the perfect edge for kitchen knives at one point in the past, though couldn't say if that still holds true. Not to say its the ultimate edge for every specialized occasion, but it can handle everything you throw at it in such a pleasing and aggressively silky way that I haven't found with many other stones.

Just a thought. Others may disagree, but it makes me feel something deep down, even when sharpening has been a bit numbing for me for a while now.

Yea, I definitely still have some bite, so I don’t think it’s an issue with over polishing. But maybe it is, as I’ve def applied too much pressure in the pst, so maybe on those few strips on the 6k I’m pressing too hard?
I don't know if it could be that, but a lot of people here, including me, don't like the King 6K.

In contrast, the King 4K and 8K are highly valued in comparison. Maybe you should work without the King 6K for a while and see if something changes.

And as far as the pressure is concerned, at least for finishing, work with as little pressure as possible.

Ok so I am not alone with this?

God man, why would you wait... aaaaah four months and a few days to make this thread?

Or did I?

Sorry to say, it can linger on for a while, despite anything proving to the contrary. :(

To the point of deeply doubting yourself. You're better than I, sharing this as it comes, willing to bear with sufficient people possibly telling you you're a poor sharpener.

But then KKF answers, and as always, rekindles my love for this forum.

It is truly something? I need to make sure of this still. Sometimes I want to erase my brains and start anew with this... but keep the confidence... and moves... and making my choices to better stones for my purposes...

"Okay, so we'll take this finger, place it into a fiducial knives buying plan, grow it through a myriad off-shore makers, now it's time for making this hot ball gather some real money, investing in higher-end custom... AND IT'S GONE!"

I don't know if it could be that, but a lot of people here, including me, don't like the King 6K.

In contrast, the King 4K and 8K are highly valued in comparison. Maybe you should work without the King 6K for a while and see if something changes.

And as far as the pressure is concerned, at least for finishing, work with as little pressure as possible.
😂😂😂😂
If the 6k side of my combo stone suddenly disappeared, I wouldn't miss it.

Back