I think I might start smokin any smokers here to give advice?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KO88

Reaction score
I've (most probably) a romantic view on smoking a pipe somewhere in the woods during mushrooming and looking at stars :-D

Any tips and ideas on where to start? What pipe (I know only Peterson) should I buy and where (is there a good secondary market)? What tobacco?

ps. I've virgin langs and really hate cigarettes. Sometimes try to smoke a cigar and it blows my head off :-D Also, I have an allergy to weed (no kidding)... So looking at some ideal way how to start don't spend too much money because it's very risky if Ill continue smoking but I don't want to have a bad first try just because I don't want to spend a little more money... if you understand me...

The cheapest pipe for best value that you can throw away if you don't like pipe smoking is a corncob. They smoke nice, and they're available for less than 10 bucks (here in the U.S.) As for a tobacco, I'd recommend swinging by a local tobacconist and telling whoever works there that you don't really know what you're doing but you'd like some recommendations. Many smoke shops will have a place for you to sit down and have a smoke as well, so that could be a good chance for you to taste a few tobaccos and also get some practice and maybe lessons on how to pack a pipe and light it.

Pipes are rough, no filtration, and they use the harshest and crappiest tobacco for pipe tobacco too. Lots of tar, lots of bite in my experience, which is admittedly limited. I'd recommend as long a stem as you can tolerate, and just portioning up your favorite cigar into plugs and smoking that when the urge strikes you. I think its the best of all possible worlds. For what its worth I only smoke 2-4 cigars a year, so maybe I'm not all that adept. Cigarettes filled with pipe or cigar filler aren't too bad.

i hate cigarettes, but pipe tobacco can be very tasty. i never inhaled when i did it. imo the condition of your lungs is irrelevant. it's a flavor thing. i also never got a nicotine buzz from it.

the problem is it's annoying af to set up and maintain. you have to (or at least you should) clean out the stupid pipe every time with pipe cleaner brushes. moisture from combustion builds up in the pipe. nasty pipe juice. and eventually it starts gurgling and may even get in your mouth. and you have to lug your stupid pipe kit around. big enough to hold the pipe, pipe cleaners, tools, and probably a few tins of tobacco. it gets bulky. really imo it's messy business and too much effort for me to bother with it anymore.

but when you have good tobacco, and it's burning just right, man. i think it's much easier to appreciate than cigars (unless we're talking expensive and hard(er) to get ones), and it costs a lot less. imho overall the best tobacco experience out there.

here's one i used to enjoy:

davidoff flake medallions

my tobacco is probably all old and dried out, but typing all of this is making me want to give it another try for old time's sake.

Last edited:
Sounds like smoking anything is the last thing you need to be thinking about. 🤔
Yeah yet still it catches me. I know it's not clever or good move. 🙈 But common havining 30 high-end knives and 30 Jnats as home cook is nonsense too 😅

I will look around if there's any pipe shop and will eventually see if I give it a try...
They will tell me what's the different between straight pipes and “J” pipes show me some “light” tobacco etc.
Or I'll maybe just buy 2-3 cigars as my year stocks 🤣

Yeah yet still it catches me. I know it's not clever or good move. 🙈 But common havining 30 high-end knives and 30 Jnats as home cook is nonsense too 😅
But high-end knives don't hurt your health or make you stink.

But high-end knives don't hurt your health or make you stink.
Both disagree 🤣
Sometimes use cut yourself and when sharpening I usually lost skin on tips of my fingers. Also very messy business hands are dirty nails dirty... Also some stones have strange 👃...

This is not where I thought this question was going, came here to recommend starting small and cheap with like a Coleman or Realcook cheap capsule-type smoker. I remember when I first got mine I called my dad and said, "if you have excess jalapenos from your garden, I think we should try smoking them." There was a long pause on the phone before he replied, "we ain't smoking my peppers you idiot." It took me a minute to get the core of our misunderstanding... 🤣 "not in a pipe, dad, in my smoker to eat!" We never did get there...

This is not where I thought this question was going, came here to recommend starting small and cheap with like a Coleman or Realcook cheap capsule-type smoker. I remember when I first got mine I called my dad and said, "if you have excess jalapenos from your garden, I think we should try smoking them." There was a long pause on the phone before he replied, "we ain't smoking my peppers you idiot." It took me a minute to get the core of our misunderstanding... 🤣 "not in a pipe, dad, in my smoker to eat!" We never did get there...
I had to read it twice. Totally got it like your pops. Maybe because I've mustache and love sandals (when cold all you need is socks)... 🤣🤣🤣

I love smoking a pipe. I go through periods where I will have one or multiple bowls a day, and then periods where I just can't seem to find the time. I haven't smoked a bowl since Christmas time but I hope to change that this weekend. I don't smoke cigarettes, and it's been years since I've had a cigar, but I'm sure I will again at some point if one is offered to me.

As noted above a great way to get started is with a corncob pipe. They are cheap and smoke well, even after all these years I often prefer them to a briar - and am not alone in that opinion. Make sure to get a missouri meerschaum and not come cheap knock of crap.

I recommend the pipes magazine forums (do a google search) as there is a lot of helpful info.

Most folks start with what's referred to as "aromatic" tobacco. This is heavily scented to smell good for others, and offers little taste or satisfaction. These tobaccos also tend to burn hot and wet and can cause some tongue bite. Also do some reading on "English" blends, along with "Viginia", "Perique" and "Latakia" tobaccos.

With all tobaccos it's generally helpful to dry them a little, and make sure to draw from the pipe slowly, and infrequently. Really just trying to keep the tobacco smoldering, not burning. It's important to note that with pipe smoking you are not supposed to inhale. Just draw into your mouth, and possibly exhale through your nose if so inclined.

Pipe smoking takes some time to learn, and there is definitely a curve for most folks. I smoke in our office with an intake fan pulling air through a carbon scrubber and there is no scent. I am surprised to hear how many folks like the smell of my tobaccos - many have fond memories of their grandpa, or it reminds them of a campfire. I get lots of interested questions from folks as I often enjoy a pipe will walking my dog in the warmer seasons.

Pipes are rough, no filtration, and they use the harshest and crappiest tobacco for pipe tobacco too. Lots of tar, lots of bite in my experience, which is admittedly limited. I'd recommend as long a stem as you can tolerate, and just portioning up your favorite cigar into plugs and smoking that when the urge strikes you.

I'm going to disagree with all of this, except for the last bit. If correctly smoked, a pipe is much more gentle than cigarette or cigar smoking, as the temperature of the burning tobacco is lower. If your pipe is smoking hot and it is rough or it burns your mouth you're pulling on it too frequently or there's too much moisture.

Often, pipe tobaccco is extremely high quality, on par with or exceeding that which is used in many cigars. There certainly is cheap stuff that comes in a plastic pouch at a gas station (see above about "aromatic" tobaccos), but tinned tobacco is generally expensive, and of very high quality depending on your brand of choice.

I would steer clear of a super long stem if one is learning - they can build up moisture, leading to a hot burning pipe and tongue burn.

Smoking a well chosen cigar plug from a pipe is awesome, though.

I rotate through a few.

This one is from before WWII. Still smokes like a dream.

Peterson Early Morning Pipe or Capstan might be a nice place to start as they are mild.

I love smoking a pipe. I go through periods where I will have one or multiple bowls a day, and then periods where I just can't seem to find the time. I haven't smoked a bowl since Christmas time but I hope to change that this weekend. I don't smoke cigarettes, and it's been years since I've had a cigar, but I'm sure I will again at some point if one is offered to me.

As noted above a great way to get started is with a corncob pipe. They are cheap and smoke well, even after all these years I often prefer them to a briar - and am not alone in that opinion. Make sure to get a missouri meerschaum and not come cheap knock of crap.

I recommend the pipes magazine forums (do a google search) as there is a lot of helpful info.

Most folks start with what's referred to as "aromatic" tobacco. This is heavily scented to smell good for others, and offers little taste or satisfaction. These tobaccos also tend to burn hot and wet and can cause some tongue bite. Also do some reading on "English" blends, along with "Viginia", "Perique" and "Latakia" tobaccos.

With all tobaccos it's generally helpful to dry them a little, and make sure to draw from the pipe slowly, and infrequently. Really just trying to keep the tobacco smoldering, not burning. It's important to note that with pipe smoking you are not supposed to inhale. Just draw into your mouth, and possibly exhale through your nose if so inclined.

Pipe smoking takes some time to learn, and there is definitely a curve for most folks. I smoke in our office with an intake fan pulling air through a carbon scrubber and there is no scent. I am surprised to hear how many folks like the smell of my tobaccos - many have fond memories of their grandpa, or it reminds them of a campfire. I get lots of interested questions from folks as I often enjoy a pipe will walking my dog in the warmer seasons.

I'm going to disagree with all of this, except for the last bit. If correctly smoked, a pipe is much more gentle than cigarette or cigar smoking, as the temperature of the burning tobacco is lower. If your pipe is smoking hot and it is rough or it burns your mouth you're pulling on it too frequently or there's too much moisture.

Often, pipe tobaccco is extremely high quality, on par with or exceeding that which is used in many cigars. There certainly is cheap stuff that comes in a plastic pouch at a gas station (see above about "aromatic" tobaccos), but tinned tobacco is generally expensive, and of very high quality depending on your brand of choice.

I would steer clear of a super long stem if one is learning - they can build up moisture, leading to a hot burning pipe and tongue burn.

I rotate through a few.

Peterson Early Morning Pipe or Capstan might be a nice place to start as they are mild.

I see. I concede my ignorance. Personally speaking the only pipe specific tobacco I've ever had is aromatic pipe tobacco, I have however smoked a few bowls worth of deconstructed cigar tobacco, as well as some home grown tobacco.

When I said that the crappiest tobacco is used for pipe fill, I made that statement from the perspective of aromatic tobacco encompassing all of it. I discovered while doing reading on the subject of growing growing tobacco that pipe tobacco was generally made with the lowest quality, and lowest grade tobacco that could not be used for cigarettes. If you dry the aromatic juice out of flavored tobacco and smoke it plain you get a pretty good idea of what the quality of the base mixture is.

There are going to be exceptions, but having been put off by the lower tiered stuff, and the price of tobacco being what it is in Canada I never invested in anything more expensive, like the English blends. I found that cigars gave a cooler smoke, with less bite than a pipe, without the flavor depravation of a cigarette filter, so that's what I settled on. I also admit I only tried pipe smoking a little over a dozen times before I lost interest.

In any case some air cured Virgina Gold mixed with Monte Calme Brun is a wonderful smoke, and homegrown tobacco is a whole other experience altogether.

I've (most probably) a romantic view on smoking a pipe somewhere in the woods during mushrooming and looking at stars :-D

Any tips and ideas on where to start? What pipe (I know only Peterson) should I buy and where (is there a good secondary market)? What tobacco?

ps. I've virgin langs and really hate cigarettes. Sometimes try to smoke a cigar and it blows my head off :-D Also, I have an allergy to weed (no kidding)... So looking at some ideal way how to start don't spend too much money because it's very risky if Ill continue smoking but I don't want to have a bad first try just because I don't want to spend a little more money... if you understand me...

Try getting a smoker and doing a brisket or ribs instead
😬

I rotate through a few.

Mate, this is what I was wanting! Btw your pipes are 🔥🔥🔥 It's so beautiful!

I was in a friend's kitchen while he was preparing a 5 star meal and his mom was complaining about her smoking habit. As she said that, she pulled out a pack of cigarettes, put one to her lips and then tossed the pack on their butcher block kitchen table. Without missing a beat, my buddy picked up a serious cleaver and loudly chopped the pack in half. And then turned back to his cassoulet...

1646939365960.png
1646939533988.png
1646939631921.png

This is probably the heaviest I got... Pipe even with the hand wouldn't be much of a problem... But wife is tiny and the knife is on the top shelf... True is that she can get easily furious...
1646942748366.jpeg

Back