ice cream ideas

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or you can use a stand mixer and a dewar of liquid nitrogen. If you don’t pace it out well it’ll freeze in less than a minute. Smoothest ice cream I’ve ever had and the cost of the dewar was less than buying a good ice cream maker.

Splendid idea if you have liquid nitrogen ) and do not forget that above - 30°C it will crystallize!! You cannot pour liquid nitrogen off the tap so not good advise for making ice cream at home unless you have special connections! :)

Last edited:
I’ve been to ice cream parlors that make it on the spot using liquid nitrogen. The texture is pretty amazing - crazy smooth. That plus the lack of added air makes it feel super rich.

I have played with liquid nitrogen enough to like it, yet IMO it's not for use at home....great fun to freeze small porous bites and have people eat them, makes them blow vapour out of their ears almost.

Our ice cream machine is not a pro version, but then again I don't need the large volume.

I got an ice cream maker for Father’s Day! What are people’s thoughts on base - custard or no? Obviously custard is a lot more work. Is it worth it? I’ll be starting with coffee and bourbon roasted peach (different batches) after that, I may look at some of these great ideas above.

so far I've done both and like the custard based ice creams better, mouthfeel is so much nicer. My theory is that a home version is not able to prevent crystals as good as a pro ice maker and the custard helps prevent those..

anyway, enjoy!

Made some nice watermelon ice recently.

I've never tried it personally but old bay and cornmeal. I've heard it's good, like hush puppie iced cream

I made a batch of coffee base last night, let it steep for about 12 hours, and then made it this morning. The first taste was pretty good, but probably a little intense on the coffee. I eyeballed it, probably 100g of extra coarse ground coffee to 3 cups of dairy base.

Are using milk to steep in and then pour off the settled coffee? Sounds good. I might dig out my old ice cream maker.

We're eating a black olive cake right now that makes me want to work some olives into ice cream. Really anything that works savory into dessert gets my heart racing though.

I was just thinking along the same lines - savoury desserts can be delicious. :)

Brown bread ice cream was common here in the UK in the 1970s and '80s, when I was growing up, and it was beautiful. I'm tempted to look up a few recipes and start experimenting...

I was just thinking along the same lines - savoury desserts can be delicious. :)

Brown bread ice cream was common here in the UK in the 1970s and '80s, when I was growing up, and it was beautiful. I'm tempted to look up a few recipes and start experimenting...

Never heard of this before right now. If David Lebovitz's recipe is any indicator it looks proper interesting.

Having had some delicious gingerbread today, gingerbread ice-cream is suggesting itself as a strong possibility, perhaps with chunks of dough... 🤤

A little off the beaten path but....... using protein powder of any flavor to make ice cream for pre-workout snacks.

Last edited:
Back