Iceman91

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let’s not rub it in, already said it was a mistake on my end. Regardless I called and was transferred to HR telling me they can’t release that information to third parties. If I was sure he worked there I would consider paying him a visit tomorrow.

Just stop by for a drink and ask someone there...then either kick his ass or call the cops--have them show up at his workplace.

Better yet, write a review online that one of their cooks is a thief...

Let’s not rub it in, already said it was a mistake on my end. Regardless I called and was transferred to HR telling me they can’t release that information to third parties. If I was sure he worked there I would consider paying him a visit tomorrow.

I'm no expert in HR policy, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but chances are if he didn't work there they would have told you so, because then they would have been under no legal obligation to protect him. Plus, why invite trouble for someone who isn't your employee?

Just stop by for a drink and ask someone there...then either kick his ass or call the cops--have them show up at his workplace.

Better yet, write a review online that one of their cooks is a thief...

I swear if I lived in the US I’d personally go kick his ass on behalf of everyone here. If u do track him down make sure u give him a good one from me too. I hate scamsters and crooks. I have a good mind of sending an email to their hr and directorship and telling them they employ a dishonest thief

Guys

I have no idea who Iceman is and dont agree with any of his behaviour but can i suggest a little caution throwing out things like "kick his ass" and telling his employers hes a "dishonest thief" you need concrete first hand proof before throwing words like that around in an open forum.

Just be careful that this guy doesnt have other issues like drug addiction, mental health etc before condemning him

Sorry is there no concrete first hand proof that the op paid for a knife that was never delivered to him?
Or that I bought a $1k knife from him that he shipped without its box which he promised to send and never bothered (I understand this is a small issue in the big scheme of things).
If he has any of the above issues it doesn’t condone his behavior or exempt him from any retribution

I have concrete evidence of him not sending me the knife and him receiving my money. Having mental disability or drug addiction isn't a scape goat or justification for his actions. I'm not threatening him but I'd love to see this dude face to face so we could work it out..

Please elaborate.

F&F paypal is *stupid* and shouldn't even be allowed
uttered in BST (....there should be a filter)

but that's beside the point of this thread, IMHO

This isn't a community with a sense of purpose anymore, recent patterns of behaviour illustrate this.

1. Don't be naive
2. Buyer beware

To send a payment Friends and Family you would have to be very foolish indeed (no disrespect to OP)

No disrespect meant and we are probably taking about two different things, but I think we DO have a terrific "community with a sense of purpose" here. We shouldn't undervalue the vast majority of members here because of the action of a very few.
You are of course correct in the idea of being vigilant and aware when dealing with anonymous people on the web and transferring $$.
but all things being equal, I am convinced this forum is one of the safest places on the web where by and large disparate people actually CAN trust each other. I'm regularly amazed how well this place functions and its inhabitants.
My 2c
Cheers.

Guys

I have no idea who Iceman is and dont agree with any of his behaviour but can i suggest a little caution throwing out things like "kick his ass" and telling his employers hes a "dishonest thief" you need concrete first hand proof before throwing words like that around in an open forum.

Just be careful that this guy doesnt have other issues like drug addiction, mental health etc before condemning him

Pfffft! Get out of here with that goofy voice of reason!

F&F paypal is *stupid* and shouldn't even be allowed
uttered in BST (....there should be a filter)

but that's beside the point of this thread, IMHO

Ridiculous! There are several people on both forums I’d send knives to with an IOU! Most people here are pretty honorable.

Ridiculous! There are several people on both forums I’d send knives to with an IOU! Most people here are pretty honorable.

I hope your're joking.

There is a reason insurance doesn't protect you from theft in the context of gross negligence for a reason.
If you're too cheap to pay transactional insurance, that's not cleverness...either

If f you are trying to make some other obscure point, you're just proving
the old addage that the exception proves the rule...

Yes, there are friends we would lend the car keys to...etc

But that's not the same thing as letting them drive un-insured
or driving drunk, and on and on.

I agree in the sense that I believe most of the people on both forums are good people that love knifes and do the right things. But it does suck if you deal with that person that happens to be douche/dishonest crook

trades happen all the time and there’s no PayPal in the middle, someone has to ship first. Most of my sales have actually been on the background with people I’d consider friends in a level or another. Heck even had a couple sales in Canada happen with direct bank transfer and have lent knives and stones worth a fair bit. Definitely not everyone but there’s a good number of people here I have no qualms trusting.

I've got two out and one in with folks I've only met online. And most I want to buy I make a ff offer without reservation. No worries.

Do like postal insurance, the world's largest welfare organization is the only place I've ever had a problem.

I hope your're joking.

There is a reason insurance doesn't protect you from theft in the context of gross negligence for a reason.
If you're too cheap to pay transactional insurance, that's not cleverness...either

If f you are trying to make some other obscure point, you're just proving
the old addage that the exception proves the rule...

Yes, there are friends we would lend the car keys to...etc

But that's not the same thing as letting them drive un-insured
or driving drunk, and on and on.

He's not joking. Actually he's making sense as to why used knife prices are stupid. People used to send knives to others to try all the time...not just passarounds but 'hey you want to try this I'll send it to you...send it back when you're done'. You didn't have to pay 1k to find our that Shig was/was not the knife for you. A couple people screwed that up and things haven't been the same since. Still plenty of loaning going on (Dave, thinking about that stone I owe you) but times have changed and not for the better unfortunately.

If you pay attention, you can tell the good folks from posers. I have 2 knives out on passarounds and 1 honyaki out on 1 on 1 loan with another going out soon. I will have ~$3k of knives out at once without any insurance at all. If all those people decided to be asshats, I would be out a fair bit of money. No paper trail, insurance, etc. That doesn't take into consideration the fair ammount of value of stones I have out as well. If I lose here and there, (which I haven't yet), it is the cost of living my life without fear of everyone I encounter is out to cheat me. I assume that most people are good and will do the right thing. If and when this fails, I am way on the plus side of the ledger. It is worth it to me to not have to be suspicious of everyone I encounter. I have completed countless trades, sales, and purchases on this forum and others without a single incident and i have used friends and family transactions for the vast majority. Obviously, it is foolish to do this with the guy that spams to the required post count to make a sale post, but in my experience, the vast majority of members here are honest people and act accordingly. For instance, I would not take part in a passaround that I would not be in a position to replace the knife if it were damaged in my care. I would do this without reservation knowing that I benefit much more for the opportunity to participate. By and large, people are good. Have faith in this community and things will improve. It doesn't mean you will never be burned, but you and this community will be better off in the long run.

But, like all things, YMMV.

If you pay attention, you can tell the good folks from posers. I have 2 knives out on passarounds and 1 honyaki out on 1 on 1 loan with another going out soon. I will have ~$3k of knives out at once without any insurance at all. If all those people decided to be asshats, I would be out a fair bit of money. No paper trail, insurance, etc. That doesn't take into consideration the fair ammount of value of stones I have out as well. If I lose here and there, (which I haven't yet), it is the cost of living my life without fear of everyone I encounter is out to cheat me. I assume that most people are good and will do the right thing. If and when this fails, I am way on the plus side of the ledger. It is worth it to me to not have to be suspicious of everyone I encounter. I have completed countless trades, sales, and purchases on this forum and others without a single incident and i have used friends and family transactions for the vast majority. Obviously, it is foolish to do this with the guy that spams to the required post count to make a sale post, but in my experience, the vast majority of members here are honest people and act accordingly. For instance, I would not take part in a passaround that I would not be in a position to replace the knife if it were damaged in my care. I would do this without reservation knowing that I benefit much more for the opportunity to participate. By and large, people are good. Have faith in this community and things will improve. It doesn't mean you will never be burned, but you and this community will be better off in the long run.

But, like all things, YMMV.

No disrespect meant and we are probably taking about two different things, but I think we DO have a terrific "community with a sense of purpose" here. We shouldn't undervalue the vast majority of members here because of the action of a very few.
You are of course correct in the idea of being vigilant and aware when dealing with anonymous people on the web and transferring $$.
but all things being equal, I am convinced this forum is one of the safest places on the web where by and large disparate people actually CAN trust each other. I'm regularly amazed how well this place functions and its inhabitants.
My 2c
Cheers.

I agree..

This is still a great community.... just think of all the passarounds and the acts of good will, friends made in the process, comments, banter, jokes and the hundreds (or should I say thousands?) of everyones transactions on BST that have gone well and all the learning... lets not let a couple of bad ones ruin all that! Right?

I regret that sometimes things go south... hopefully this will get resolved...

Have been here a while and have had positive experiences.... I know there is a small chance something might go wrong... its the nature of the beast.... people have troubles, people get sick, some might just fall out..... carriers mess up... I preffer to assume the best from the get go.

You should always exercise caution (post count, references, etc.) but there is always a risk involved. Not everything can be monitored, not everything can be insured, nor should it...... friends are made through good will, and someone has to take a leap.

lets remember the good times and great people because there have been plenty of them!

C.

dwalker you are basically describing "self insured" transactions which are mathematically sound once you have a potential portfolio of ~about 30-40 trades. Just to doing the math here, its fine to do (say roughly) $10k of transactions and you can afford to mess up a $250 transaction somewhere and still come out ahead.

But you get into a problem on a $1k trade -- you would need to have saved fees on $30,000 in paypal transactions to cover a large mistake like this. So...even a person with as much as $10k of trades already done or planned...should still be buying insurance on odd-lot $1k trades

how would insurance on trades work? who would provide the insurance?
i once loaned out a shig to a stranger (someone whom i had no prior interaction with either discussions or transactions), granted it was a temporary swap cause i borrowed his kochi in exchange. i would not do it again these days however just because of higher risk.

I trust other members here more than the postal carriers. I'd want insurance on an expensive knife being shipped internationally. Have a Raquin in transit since March that apparently has yet to touch down stateside. Glad the shipper insured that in the worst case scenario...

hey folks, just an update from my side for the sake of openness- the knife i purchased from Iceman91 arrived, in the condition promised. it took a week longer to get in the mail than when he said it would, and only after i contacted him and harassed him to do so. despite him telling me he would send it off the next morning after paying him, and him not doing so for 6 more days, he seemed to think i should understand it was taking so long because he was busy at work. lol. how about dont post a knife for sale and take someones money if you arent ready to send it? he made no effort to communicate unless i took the initiative, and once i started to get a little aggressive about it, he stopped responding. when told about this thread he claimed it was not true, claims he is not a scammer. said he had sent that mizuno to op twice and it was sent back to him. no idea about the truth to that or why there was no further follow up, as after things started to get a little tense between us he stopped responding.

so in short kkf, this user did not scam me, but i was not happy about the transaction, he was not straight with me, he did not communicate well, and i would not do business with him again.

hey folks, just an update from my side for the sake of openness- the knife i purchased from Iceman91 arrived, in the condition promised. it took a week longer to get in the mail than when he said it would, and only after i contacted him and harassed him to do so. despite him telling me he would send it off the next morning after paying him, and him not doing so for 6 more days, he seemed to think i should understand it was taking so long because he was busy at work. lol. how about dont post a knife for sale and take someones money if you arent ready to send it? he made no effort to communicate unless i took the initiative, and once i started to get a little aggressive about it, he stopped responding. when told about this thread he claimed it was not true, claims he is not a scammer. said he had sent that mizuno to op twice and it was sent back to him. no idea about the truth to that or why there was no further follow up, as after things started to get a little tense between us he stopped responding.

so in short kkf, this user did not scam me, but i was not happy about the transaction, he was not straight with me, he did not communicate well, and i would not do business with him again.
Good to hear you got the knife at least. Too bad it was such a hassle

Back