Identify this carter?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoops. I wonder if someone that ordered the SFGZ got an IP wabocho instead. Bonus for him but sucky for you. This is a chance for Murray to prove how good his customer service is/can be. Hopefully you can get everything resolved ASAP. Good luck.

I would bet copious amounts of money on him resolving this ASAP!
His reputation would take a huge licking if he didn't!
We all know the quality of his blades (I said blades), but he needs to prove his customer service is just as great!

I'm a bet this is your knife... or supposed to be your knife.

100_3243.JPG

Really nice knife, hopefully you get it, or a comparable replacement. I almost bought this one myself.

Well, someone opened a box that was supposed to be a shorter little riveted handle wabocho and saw this instead. Lucky bastard. Hopefully you get this taken care of as quickly as possible.

I'm a big believer in the idea that sometimes we actually do get what we deserve.
Tristan, you will get the knife you initially purchased (and i'm sure deserve) and I'm sure you'll love it.
The lucky SOB who got yours likely deserves this awesome surprise. You'll both be getting kick ass knives, and I think that's great news! I'm sure the little mix up won't hurt Murray, so sometimes we have to accept the world works in mysterious ways!
Congrats to the other proud new owner of what made Murray so well respected in the first place...whoever you are....

Carter messed up so bad on this. hope he will get you the solution ASAP and give you some extra credit for the replacement custom knife.

I'm a bet this is your knife... or supposed to be your knife.

100_3243.JPG

Really nice knife, hopefully you get it, or a comparable replacement. I almost bought this one myself.

Well, someone opened a box that was supposed to be a shorter little riveted handle wabocho and saw this instead. Lucky bastard. Hopefully you get this taken care of as quickly as possible.
Wow, if this is what you actually bought, you should be really happy once the mix-up is resolved. That is one sweet looking knife!

Hi Guys,
I wrote to Murray; it was too late to call, and I directed him to this thread where he could see where I was coming from.
I knew he would be too professional to comment on the thread directly, but I just feel I need to share:
I considered editing this, or just showing the upside from the note he dropped me but honestly, I think he went over and beyond my expectations of a service recovery so i didn't want to alter it.

"Dear Adrian,
What an unfortunate mistake we made. My sincerest apologies. That moving sale was crazy with several hundred knives sold in just a few days, and to top it all off, we lost a key staff member just days before the sale leaving us to deal with an event that went "Viral".

Just keep that knife as a token of my appreciation for your understanding, and I will send a replacement (6.7 IP Funayuki/Ironwood) as soon as I can make it (est. delivery late June, 2011).
Please keep after me until we have surely made this right.

Again, my apologies.
Sincerely,

Murray Carter"

Everyone makes mistakes, I was speechless when i read this. A big thank you Murray for your customer centric approach.
Murray, I'm sorry if you didn't mean for your reply to become public - but I just wanted to share how happy I am feeling now. And why that would be so.

:happy1::happy1::happy1: :thumbsup:

Wow, if this is what you actually bought, you should be really happy once the mix-up is resolved. That is one sweet looking knife!

Hey, that looks eerily familiar! I'm sure the one I'll eventually get will be at least as handsome.

Sweet. Good to see Murray taking care of this. Let us know when he follows through.

that's a very good news. i believe you'll enjoy the knives :).

Excellent news. So you got 2 knives for one, and some lucky person got a ridiculously nice knife for next to nothing!

I might have to order one of those cheap knives and see if they accidentally send me one of those really sweet ones! :hungry:

We're on the same page David
Btw if you want to sell your free carter I'll buy it xD

Seems like excellent service from Murray. Glad to hear things will be a-ok, Tristan.

As an aside, the actual knife has a really attractive profile and it looks quite well finished from the picture.

Seems like excellent service from Murray. Glad to hear things will be a-ok, Tristan.

Yep, it took a while but I'm happier than if the right thing came in the right box to begin with. That would have just been expected. This goes beyond expectations.

I'm keeping the other knife - like holding a good story, and looks like it will be a good short knife for daily tasks.

As are all of Murray's IP knives.

you're kiding right?.....well finished i think not.....good performers....yeah i haven't had a knife from murray that doesn't perform but as far as finishing he is definately lacking in some regards....ryan

How so Ryan? I've got two of them that I think are very well finished.

well i am not gonna go into specifics but for knives in the same price range they r poorly finished and i'll leave it at that.....i can say murray makes some high performing knives.....ryan

Well, I'm gonna have to disagree. Maybe the ones you handled were older and he's gotten better but my two are very nicely done. One of them is KU so its obviously not the most polished and refined thing out there(the edges are all rounded nicely and comfortable) and the other is a wabocho that I really find nothing wrong with at all. Both handles are awesome and couldn't be much better IMO.

You can still argue that his knives are a steal compared to the prices of some other master smiths out there.

I'm still very much on the fence. You can't argue with his reputation for making awesome cutting, nimble knives. Esthetically, I guess it's all personal preference.
Maybe he has the old-school j-knife maker attitude that a "working knife" doesn't need to be a work of art (sfgz, ku lines), but if you really want him to and you make it worth his while, he'll make a head turner for you and it will cut like a dream.

I know Ryan has 'issues' with Murray.... and leave it at that. I personally love the three Carter's I have. They are of a more rustic nature. I don't have any IP's so I can't speak to final quality of finish. But there are many knowledgeable people out there that think quite highly of his knives. I like to think of this as Ryan is an unfortuante exception to the otherwise expected of Murray's work.

Im on Ryans side :)

If a Carter enters my kitchen it got to be polished and rehandled by professionals.
I have no problem with Mr Carter, and he makes some really great knives, but polish and handles looks like its made by a six years old :)

You can't be talking about the IP knives, OD. You should specify before generalizing Carter knives. Even his HG knives are well finished.

I have owned two carters, a small SFGZ series funayuki and my carter IP gyuto. I loved that little funayuki. Great cutter. The handle was very simple and not very nice but again the price point I was paying for that knife did not seem to warrant some exotic handle. The blade road was also not the smoothest. But it was a great little knife and great cutter. The IP pro is among the few knives I have purchased that is near flawless in construction. And it is in fact the least expensive of the knives that I feel are in construction near flawless, outside of personal desires for a knife.

Meh, we've had these arguments before. Only thing I can say is that some people either had really bad experiences that were far out of the norm here, or they are expecting WAY too much from his cheap end knives. You can't look at the pic I posted earlier and say that knife is poorly finished. Can't do it. The Whitecrain I had was immaculately finished.

I'd give my eye teeth for one of his neck knives....

Like I said, the SFGZ series are rustic. Would you expect this knife to be more refined than say a Takeda? I wouldn't think so, because the SFGZ series is a RUSTIC knife.

Back