Identify this carter?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tristan

Reaction score
I recently bought this from his moving sale, thought if i don't try a carter then I never would. When the knife came in the mail - it was very different than what I was expecting. Can you guys tell what it is? I'm just wondering if my order was mixed up somehow...

Sorry no spine shots and choil shots... it wasn't a review post, more an identification post

It looks like a santoku, but since there's no sense of scale it could just as easily be a paring knife.

It's the sfgz wabocho, by the looks of it.
Nice everyday blade. How's the handle feel?

I'm not sure what sfgz means, exactly. I think it's an acronym for something that translates to stainless laminated steel or something (if I remember correctly).

Well, actually an SFGZ RH. It's a blue super core laminated with soft stainless, with a riveted handle (RH) rather than the wa-handle that the SFGZ series has.

SFGZ = Stainless Fukugozai

Carter calls his santoku shape a wabocho.

That looks to be about 5 to 6 sun, or ~150 to 180 mm. Hard to estimate without some kind of scale.

Not much of a handle, but a very good blade.

I have an SFGZ RH funayuki up for sale: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php?373-F-S-Carter-4.1-sun-SFGZ-RH-Funayuki

Actually, Murray does some gorgeous handles. I have 2 IP knives of his and one neck knife and all of the handles are flawless. You just have to pay more money for them. Those SFGZ ones are cheap and scream for an upgrade.

Very true Mattias! I bet they'd be wicked with a proper rehabdle from one of our friends here!
Thanks for explaining a bit further Pen Tiger! I was too lazy to check it out! Haha

The fly in the ointment is that it is not a full tang blade.

Ahh. As soon as I typed that I remember that they might not be full tang. Still, someone willing to make a handle upgrade for it would be a huge improvement.

I recently bought this from his moving sale, thought if i don't try a carter then I never would. When the knife came in the mail - it was very different than what I was expecting. Can you guys tell what it is? I'm just wondering if my order was mixed up somehow...

Sorry no spine shots and choil shots... it wasn't a review post, more an identification post

What did you order? I mean, what did you expect?

What did you order? I mean, what did you expect?

Products on order:
1 x 6.7 sun International Pro Funayuki, Ironwood - $737.00
SKU: 6.7IPFS205X178IW

See, from the comments here, I have the same feeling... it doesn't look like I received what I ordered.

What you ordered would be the cat's ummm pajamas! This is just ok....

Dude, you need to send that thing back IMMEDIATELY. That is not the knife that you ordered. The knife you posted a picture of is worth less than half of what you paid. You need to call Murray directly or something and get this straightened out.

Products on order:

See, from the comments here, I have the same feeling... it doesn't look like I received what I ordered.

No, that is NOT an International Pro funayuki. I'd suggest that you communicate with Murray ASAP about the probable mixup.

Damn...that sucks.
I'm sure it HAS to get straightened out. Talk about a screw up on his part!

They're not even the same shape. This is strange.

I just thought of this.
Isn't the knife in the picture pretty comparable to a dojo 6" petty? A bit taller blade, but that's about it.

Products on order:

ok you're kidding right?.....r u serious?.....not even close.....and if u r serious then here is what should happen exactly:

1)a phone call to murray-do not leave a message-u must speak with him then
2)explain who u are and the wrong knife was sent to u
3) the new knife must IMMEDIATELY be sent to you
4)murray should pay for you to send back the wrong knife or deduct it from your order

i would accept NOTHING LESS than this......ryan

What you got was a 4.9 sun Stainless Fukugozai Wabocho, Riveted Handle, 173 bucks.

And a free knife for all of the helpful guys at kkf(?)

For comparison, next to a 270mm Masamoto Gyuto, and a 150mm HD petty.

Just finished my jog... your comments are making me feel much better. When i received this blade i was really really disappointed. I mean... I'm sure you know what I mean given what I thought I ordered.

So I just put the rubber band back on the box lid, and threw it into the moving box (I just relocated 1 week after I received this from a friend residing in the US.)

The complication is that I ordered it shipped to my friend in the USA, and he brought it back to Singapore for me. I'll have to speak to Murray to resolve this asap. My friend uses Ikea knives, so he didn't know how to respond when I asked him if what arrived in the mail matched what I was asking for. The takeda nakiri he helped with was easier - "a black rectangular blade that looks really weird with black metal like stuff all up both sides" yup.

I just didn't know what to expect from Carters, glad this isn't what I paid for... now I can get a remedy. Thanks guys. Think I'll just direct Carter to this thread. Maybe give him a call too.

ok you're kidding right?.....r u serious?.....not even close.....and if u r serious then here is what should happen exactly:

1)a phone call to murray-do not leave a message-u must speak with him then
2)explain who u are and the wrong knife was sent to u
3) the new knife must IMMEDIATELY be sent to you
4)murray should pay for you to send back the wrong knife or deduct it from your order

i would accept NOTHING LESS than this......ryan

Your indignation sort of matches my feelings when I got the knife. I kept checking his website but the photo of the knife I ordered was gone... and I kept comparing with photos of the knives and kept thinking something wasn't right. But had to settle my relocation and renovation so the knife was out of sight till today. I was taking inventory of my collection.

I'll sort it out sharpish. Nothing to deduct - it was already fully paid and settled a while ago.

To be fair, Murray is probably completely unaware that this has happened - so I'll see what he says when I get in touch with him on this.

Don't know... it is my first Carter. I just emailed him. Hope this gets resolved. When i was putting the knife back I realised what might have caused the mistake (I'm assuming there IS a mistake), there is a little white sticky tab on the box with a hand written "6.7sun IP funayuki"

Thanks for all the help guys.

Don't know... it is my first Carter. I just emailed him. Hope this gets resolved. When i was putting the knife back I realised what might have caused the mistake (I'm assuming there IS a mistake), there is a little white sticky tab on the box with a hand written "6.7sun IP funayuki"

Thanks for all the help guys.
Yup that's it, someone labelled the box wrong.

Latest posts

Back