If I can only have one Toyama

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used my iron clad wat a few times now, but it was very obvious, even during the first cut, that my damascus Toyama cuts better. It's very smooth and feels very much like a gentle convex gliding thru stuff: almost like the ingredients conform to the blade shape. The wat wedges and feels much like a hard-shouldered wide bevel; you feel it pushing the ingredients aside until it just stops.
Both were used when I got them, the Toyama did not seem to be used very much, but had been sharpened prior to my ownership. I did thin this one a bit, gave it a gentle, asymmetrical curve for a right-hander and a full stone finish. The wat appears be be used quite a bit and looks like it has an asymmetrically sharpened edge. I have not done any to this knife, besides cutting stuff
Toyama Damascus
240x54.6, 223grams 3.91mm above the heel, 1.5mm @ 1cm from tip
IMG_20220818_212738762~4.jpg
Iron Clad Watanabe
235x53.3 241grams 4.52mm above the heel, 1.52mm @ 1cm from tip
IMG_20220818_212835072~3.jpg

I've used my iron clad wat a few times now, but it was very obvious, even during the first cut, that my damascus Toyama cuts better. It's very smooth and feels very much like a gentle convex gliding thru stuff: almost like the ingredients conform to the blade shape. The wat wedges and feels much like a hard-shouldered wide bevel; you feel it pushing the ingredients aside until it just stops.
Both were used when I got them, the Toyama did not seem to be used very much, but had been sharpened prior to my ownership. I did thin this one a bit, gave it a gentle, asymmetrical curve for a right-hander and a full stone finish. The wat appears be be used quite a bit and looks like it has an asymmetrically sharpened edge. I have not done any to this knife, besides cutting stuff
Toyama Damascus
View attachment 194339
Iron Clad Watanabe
View attachment 194340

I think your assessment is spot on - the dammy is a very special knife - sadly, at a high price too

Toyama Damascus
View attachment 194339
Iron Clad Watanabe
View attachment 194340
Is the ironclad Wat the KU or kasumi version?

I assumed Kasumi in my response - but excellent question. I believe the KU tend to be more rustic

The KU version is a wide bevel, so the resistance you feel is probably when the food meets the shoulders where the shinogi is.

The migaki or kasumi Watanabe/Toyama is a convex grind with no real sudden transitions in the grind so it will feel smoother during cutting.
That is exactly what I'm feeling as a difference between the 2 blades

Interesting to hear the opinions in here. I purchased my first Toyota, a stainless clad gyuto, from JNS. The OOTB cutting feel rivaled and maybe surprised my Kono FM.

So now I'm curious about the Damascus clad(which I usually avoid).

Interesting to hear the opinions in here. I purchased my first Toyota, a stainless clad gyuto, from JNS. The OOTB cutting feel rivaled and maybe surprised my Kono FM.

So now I'm curious about the Damascus clad(which I usually avoid).

The dammy is a bit heavier than the steel, but it cuts incredibly well - weight adds ease the cutting. But that added pleasure comes at a price

Does Toyama’s dama drag ? I’m trying to decide whether to pick up a plain 270 suji or (wait and) splurge on the dama one. This would be primarily for thinly slicing eg shabu shabu.

Also my wife grabbed my Toyama nakiri to cut up some pork the other night argh.

Might not be the petty…Unclear if the last batch has been listed yet.

Edit: I attached the wrong photo first time but it looks like Toyama is retiring from making smaller knives.

Attachments

• 34C4A8ED-2BD9-4B6A-B028-4212A4EAC3A3.jpeg
    34C4A8ED-2BD9-4B6A-B028-4212A4EAC3A3.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back