If you can only choose ONE blacksmith/hamono/maker/brand ....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No love for Chelsea Miller?

I did not know this person so I googled and watched one of her vids.

Then I checked out her website and found this:
Chef Knife
from 800.00

**Due to current high demand, please allow up to 12 months for this knife to be produced and delivered.**

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS WORLD!!?!?!?

Not an easy one....

Probably Y.Tanaka or Kato.... lots of great smiths out there...

Have always been impressed by Toyama for instance and as of late I find Jiro’s work impressive as well... just loove the blade I got from him...

Sorry, cant limit myself to just one!

Ohh wait..... Genkai...., ;-)

Last edited:
Another one of these "If you could only have one" threads.....
It’s all just a variation on which is best, asked slightly differently. We all seem to try to find the ultimate knife to rule them all. At the same time most realize that such a thing doesn’t exist, and I for one am glad, what would I waste my time and money on if I found the perfect knife.....

It’s all just a variation on which is best, asked slightly differently. We all seem to try to find the ultimate knife to rule them all. At the same time most realize that such a thing doesn’t exist, and I for one am glad, what would I waste my time and money on if I found the perfect knife.....
You could always buy multiples. Seems like a popular hobby for some people.

Maybe Raquin - I’ve got a small handful of knives that are more expensive but my one instance of his work is my current best performer. But also maybe Martell - not far behind and the edge on his stainless lasts longer with just stropping than anything else I’ve got. Then maybe Watanabe - he makes so many different styles, not just petty gyuto suji bunka but the single bevels, the butchery knives, etc.

Only one knifemaker ? for sure Chelsea Miller! No questions there.... (is there another option ? )

I would choose her! for sure ! Sorry i don `t like male`s in a 1 on 1 situation ;) .... With one knifemaker on one island ? Yep Chelsea would be the right one ;) .

Greets Sebastian.

I would just make the knives myself :D

Seriously, there are so many makers I would be more than happy with. But wouldn't i be boring to have all knives from just one maker? ;)

Still - if forced to pick one - I would probably go with Bryan. He is a funny guy and makes pretty OK knives :p

If I could only have one maker I would chose Michael Rader. His knives, I have three, are all incredibly well made, are a joy to use, and his attention to detail is beyaond reproach. I am particulary fond of W2 and his treatment of this steel is exquisite. Beautiful hamon, high hardness, well forged functional blades. If you are looking for a western gyuto with an integral bolster I don't think you can do much better.

Back