If you can only choose ONE blacksmith/hamono/maker/brand ....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, there’s pretty varied price points for Miz knives. I think you get what you pay for literally. Over the years Ive noticed various levels of quality w Hontaren blue 2 line-but as the price has increased perhaps theyre alittle nicer than they used to be, but everything else seems solid to me.

I WILL have a 270mm honyaki later this year, even if my wife leaves me.

Your knife collection and your eventual divorce from your wife is something of a serial here on KKF. (Not that you’re alone in wenting this kind of a problem: but it is a common theme in your posts [emoji6]). I hope you manage to squeeze in a few more [emoji380] and keep your wife at the same time!

Last edited:
Cris Anderson. Hands down. Best knives I've ever used by a fairly wide margin. Insane cutters, super comfortable in the hand, and killer aesthetics.

So many options. Not all of us have tried them all, especially these bespoke, boutique, high-end ......

My favourite at the moment is my Toyama gyuto. Not unaffordable (yet) ; light and nimble in hand and a great cutter.

Haven’t had a chance to use it much. I am moving and just started a new job that has been mostly menu writing so far. The next couple of weeks should turn the corner into heavy use. It has fallen through everything it has touched so far.

Labor, I would love to hear how the mizuno compares to Shigehiro for grind when you finally get it in hand.

Oh well the shigehiro is 261-264grams so there will be plenty of difference between them.
What’s fun about shigehiro is that it’s so narrow for its weight class. Finesse bruiser. Imagine a linebacker that can run 4.10 40yd dash.

It’d be fun if someone could use a heavier metal and make a heavyweight laser. Maybe white #2 with platinum cladding? Few gems embedded in the handle, just for balance.

Tanaka, shigeki Tanaka, he makes a variety of blades from the very cheap to the very expensive. His lower end stuff is affordable enough for it to not scare a younger me and his higher end stuff would still be unicorn territory for the current me. His blades are also exceptional.

Have not experienced as many makers like quite a few members here. Even so cannot limit it to one smith. Watanabe makes knives with great grinds and his treatment of blue #2 is superb.

Back