Quantcast

If you could only keep one kitchen knife which would you choose?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

jgraeff

Reaction score
I know a lot of you have multiple gyuto's, sujis, pettys, santoku's, and yangis etc.

If you could only keep one kitchen knife which would you pick over all the others and why would it be that knife.

Whether its the performance or does it mean something special to you?

kalaeb

Banned
Reaction score
For me its my 250 DT san mai mystery gyuto. Perfect length, edge retention,gets screaming sharp and great fit in my hand. It just feels more natural than any other knife.

sachem allison

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have to go with my vintage 10" Sabatier or the 240mm Hiro Hc. we have been through lots together.

Candlejack

Reaction score
I'd say either my Sagaform Edge - cause it can take a real beating and it's no worry.
Or my Gesshin Ginga 240 gyoto because of the performance.

mr drinky

Founding Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably DT ITK 270 because I would want a bigger knife if I had only one. With that said, the correct answer for this forum is my Martell 240 Gyuto ;)

k.

Iceman91

Reaction score
I would go with my Carter 240 funayuki. It's taller than a suji, less tall than a "standard" gyuto and has an awesome grind.

Mike

JohnnyChance

Founding Member
Reaction score
For me its my 250 DT san mai mystery gyuto. Perfect length, edge retention,gets screaming sharp and great fit in my hand. It just feels more natural than any other knife.
+1. Mine is Spicy White but I would probably go with one in Devin's mystery PM or Super Wear Resistant for the extra edge life, especially if I only had one knife.

Chifunda

Reaction score
Have to go with versatility, so the decision is pretty simple for me. DT 240 mid-tech gyuto in 52100.

deanb

Founding Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easy. 9" Kramer Chef's knife.

Eamon Burke

Banned
Reaction score
Shigefusa 240. A gift from my wife through a friend, and matches my style perfectly.

Hattorichop

Reaction score
Today I'd have to say I would keep my 240 Massakage Kato San gyuto. I have a 233mm Carter funyaki with a mhenry handle waiting at home in my mail box right now so tomorrow my decision might be different.

memorael

Reaction score
Carter funny in white, 240ish. Or a 300 wa gyuto. OOPS one knife only, the Carter.

mhenry

Founding Member
Reaction score
Today I'd have to say I would keep my 240 Massakage Kato San gyuto. I have a 233mm Carter funyaki with a mhenry handle waiting at home in my mail box right now so tomorrow my decision might be different.
I was wondering if it had come yet. Let me/us know what you think about it.

Seth

Reaction score
Doi 270 yanigiba, blue 2, ebony handle. Someone has to speak up for the single bevel minority!

cnochef

Reaction score
My simple Ichimonji TKC 270mm gyuto, no question about it. Although I would probably splurge for a rehandle too!

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Founding Member
Reaction score
I honestly can't decide. If I have some time to bribe Pierre, I'd get him to make me a 210-220 version of my knife, but otherwise...geez...I'll go with my Carter suji, because it has the length that I would sometimes need and can handle prep type work with no trouble.

NO ChoP!

Old Head
Reaction score
Thinking utilitarian, and not glitz; I would probably say I'd go with my Kono HD, as it has become an extension of my arm over the years. I am also liking the all around performance of the Moritaka 250mm French profile; I have yet to experience a better cutter (or profile).

rsacco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
240 DT PM Stainless - I hope that changes when I get a DT 52100 damascus

JKerr

Reaction score
I'm enjoying tinkering with single bevels at the moment, but if I could only have one knife, it'd probably be my Sugimoto #6.

Andy777

Reaction score
Everyone in this thread should be ashamed of the lack of pictures. This is just disgraceful... :curse:

Salty dog

Reaction score
Mizuno Tanrenjo 240 Suminigashi with Blue DX core.

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Founding Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the lack of pictures. Here's an oldie, but goodie extreme close-up.

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Founding Member
Reaction score
In my heart, however, if I actually HAD to choose...I know I'd go with this: