If you had to choose just one... Why?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Espresso

Reaction score
Hey guys,

A few days back I posted about which knife I should get as someone relatively new to japanese knives. You all helped me narrow down my choices quite a bit. There are now just 3 knives that are standing out to me, and I'm having a hard time choosing between the 3.

Tanaka Ginsan Nashiji: http://www.knivesandstones.com/tanaka-ginsan-nashiji-gyuto-210mm-lite/

Sukenari Ginsan: http://www.knivesandstones.com/sukenari-ginsanko-ginsan-gyuto-210mm/

JKI Stainless Gesshin: https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...ecials/products/gesshin-stainless-210mm-gyuto

I have a couple of cheaper knives already that I have practiced sharpening on and I have a good baseline for that. I am just finding myself lost as to what the differences between these will be. I know I can't really go wrong with any of the three, but which would YOU choose and why?

Jeez. Tough call. I'm leaning toward the Sukenari mainly because I tend to prefer a flatter profile. The handle looks nice too. Like you said though, you can't go wrong with any of these.

Jeez. Tough call. I'm leaning toward the Sukenari mainly because I tend to prefer a flatter profile. The handle looks nice too. Like you said though, you can't go wrong with any of these.

I'm also partial to the flatter profile, and that black ebony handle is super nice. I'm just trying to see if people have experience with the Tanaka vs the Sukenari steel in terms of heat treat, durability, etc. because that is what would make me choose one over the other.

I have not had a chance to handle the JKI Gesshin, so can't comment on it.

I have however handled both the Tanaka ginsan (K&S 240 non-lite) and the Sukenari Ginsan (210 JCK non-forged).

I gave the Sukenari away and kept the Tanaka. For me there was really no comparison. While the Sukenari has a good profile, the Tanaka is just in a different league.

If it makes your life easier, I'd make the choice between Tanaka and the Gesshin. Unless your cutting style is pure chopping, in which case the Tanaka is not for you as it doesn't really have a flat spot.

Probably not a lot of help because of the steels but given the name brands .......
I love my Tanakas, all four of them but I don't have that particular one ........
I just got a Gesshin Ginga and if the stainless is anything like it, I would highly recommend ....... this may become a favorite to use.
Sukenari, I have only heard good things, no actual experience but I too prefer a flatter profile and it is pretty.

Thing is, I don't think you can go wrong with any of those ........

I have not had a chance to handle the JKI Gesshin, so can't comment on it.

I have however handled both the Tanaka ginsan (K&S 240 non-lite) and the Sukenari Ginsan (210 JCK non-forged).

I gave the Sukenari away and kept the Tanaka. For me there was really no comparison. While the Sukenari has a good profile, the Tanaka is just in a different league.

If it makes your life easier, I'd make the choice between Tanaka and the Gesshin. Unless your cutting style is pure chopping, in which case the Tanaka is not for you as it doesn't really have a flat spot.

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks for your input. The Tanaka is probably what I will go for. Maybe I will save a bit more and get that sweet, sweet ebony handle on the Tanaka.

Already answered in your other thread, especially since you said you're in the US (BTW- knowing that would be easier if you update your profile with a location), the Gesshin. Less money, includes Saya (nice, though not necessary), and less complicated shipping. I haven't noticed any reason listed it'd be unsuitable for you. From reputation, I'm sure James at K&S would give you as good service as the folks at JKI, but I can't think of how he could be better. Factor in shipping cost & hassle....

Your call, of course.

Already answered in your other thread, especially since you said you're in the US (BTW- knowing that would be easier if you update your profile with a location), the Gesshin. Less money, includes Saya (nice, though not necessary), and less complicated shipping. I haven't noticed any reason listed it'd be unsuitable for you. From reputation, I'm sure James at K&S would give you as good service as the folks at JKI, but I can't think of how he could be better. Factor in shipping cost & hassle....

Your call, of course.

I guess the thing I am most confused about is the differences in the steels used, their hardness, edge retention, sharpening etc etc. I just don't want to spend $100+ on a knife and find out that I would've preferred a different one. I just want more opinions, since it's my first really high quality knife I want to be a bit more confident when I pick one.

All look like good blades, have not used the Sukenari. The Gesshin comes with a wooden Saya.

Take it with a grain of salt I would go with the Tanaka. Have owned & used both 210mm and 240mm. Rounded the spine & choil myself, you might have to do that with the lite version. I like Tanaka's, the dominate heel is great for push cuts & chopping. The spine has almost no distal taper so the blade has some weight, the grind makes it a all around good cutter. The hand chiseled Kanji is cool as is the Nashiji finish.

Tanakas forged ginsan vs Sukenari non forged ginsan vs Gesshin AUS8
If you are purely looking at the steel performance it's Tanaka. Period. Game over.

Everyone raves about how great the Tanaka ginsan is for stainless steel and for a very good reason. I can't believe a Sukenaris non forged version of the same steel could get even close. Same for the Gesshin stainless. No matter how well the AUS8 is done it won't be even in the same league. It's probably a very very good knife and it definitely has it's well deserved place, but the AUS8 with 58-59HRC is intended for a little bit different use then the Tanaka.

Ease of sharpening, edge taking and edge retention all point to one direction.

But if you want chip resistance, toughness, neutral balance, better F&F, convex grind (vs wide bevel) and a saya then the Gesshin SS is the better choice.

IMO the Sukenari is in the middle ground and the odd man out.
EDIT. If a flatter profile is a must, that's the one thing that could put the Sukenari back in the game.

Tanakas forged ginsan vs Sukenari non forged ginsan vs Gesshin AUS8
If you are purely looking at the steel performance it's Tanaka. Period. Game over.

Everyone raves about how great the Tanaka ginsan is for stainless steel and for a very good reason. I can't believe a Sukenaris non forged version of the same steel could get even close. Same for the Gesshin stainless. No matter how well the AUS8 is done it won't be even in the same league. It's probably a very very good knife and it definitely has it's well deserved place, but the AUS8 with 58-59HRC is intended for a little bit different use then the Tanaka.

Ease of sharpening, edge taking and edge retention all point to one direction.

But if you want chip resistance, toughness, neutral balance, better F&F, convex grind (vs wide bevel) and a saya then the Gesshin SS is the better choice.

IMO the Sukenari is in the middle ground and the odd man out.
EDIT. If a flatter profile is a must, that's the one thing that could put the Sukenari back in the game.

i agree with almost everything here except for the ease of sharpening... the gesshin stainless is easier to sharpen than the ginsanko. I think the ginsanko takes a nicer edge though, and is tootheir feeling at the edge in general (which can be a good or bad thing depending on personal preference).

So... why isn't Gesshin Uraku on the list? Out of pure curiosity, I wonder how it compares to the others.

So... why isn't Gesshin Uraku on the list? Out of pure curiosity, I wonder how it compares to the others.

It was on my list for a while but the main reason is honestly aesthetics. I like darker woods more than ho wood. :angel2:

i wasnt trying to make recommendations at all, being that i sell them and that puts me in an ackward place to recommend things that i have a vested interest in selling

i wasnt trying to make recommendations at all, being that i sell them and that puts me in an ackward place to recommend things that i have a vested interest in selling

To me it didn't came across as a recommendation. It seemed more like outlining the pros and cons of each.

When you say that the ginsan is not as easy to sharpen as the Aus8, is it because it doesn't grind as easily, deburr as eaily or both?

Another here with two of your three candidates. I've the Tanaka G and the western handled Gesshin Stainless. Like them both a lot. Have used them both on the line and at off site catering events where I didn't want a lot of knife at risk but still wanted some performance. The Gesshin is a versatile knife, anyone can pick it up and do anything with it. I've bought a couple for gf knives when I wanted her to have a good knife for me to use. The Tanaka, to me, is the better knife for performance and would be my choice between the two for my use. When I inevitably find another lady that will put up with me for a bit I'll be buying another Gesshin.

As noted above the Tanaka is 2x the price of the Gesshin. Everyone's point of diminishing returns is different and that's your call. As also been noted you're choosing between three very good knives, each a little different, each at a different price point. But like picking a puppy you can't go wrong.

I didn't think that for a second, Jon. If something is being said about your product, who better to decide if it's true or not other than you?

Another here with two of your three candidates. I've the Tanaka G and the western handled Gesshin Stainless. Like them both a lot. Have used them both on the line and at off site catering events where I didn't want a lot of knife at risk but still wanted some performance. The Gesshin is a versatile knife, anyone can pick it up and do anything with it. I've bought a couple for gf knives when I wanted her to have a good knife for me to use. The Tanaka, to me, is the better knife for performance and would be my choice between the two for my use. When I inevitably find another lady that will put up with me for a bit I'll be buying another Gesshin.

As noted above the Tanaka is 2x the price of the Gesshin. Everyone's point of diminishing returns is different and that's your call. As also been noted you're choosing between three very good knives, each a little different, each at a different price point. But like picking a puppy you can't go wrong.

Thanks for your input. My main issue with the Gesshin Stainless is that I am paying for the saya in the price as well, whereas with the Tanaka Ginsan, I am paying for pure knife. Honestly I am thinking about buying the Gesshin Stainless now, using it for some time and then buy something like the Tanaka down the road and keep the Gesshin as a gf/beater knife.

Just my experience don't find Ginsan hard to sharpen in Tanaka's. The blade is already pretty thin behind the edge & deburrs easy.

I was curious too. Very familiar with both the 240mm Uraku and the Gesshin Ginga. The Ginga to me is a great stainless gyuto. From the picture the grind looks good on this AUS8 blade. Being designed to your specs. I am sure it cuts well.

I can only compare the Ginga & the Tanaka they are two very different knives. The Ginga is thin and light, civilized good for all kinds of prep. great for detail work. Easy to sharpen with good edge retention. It is a refined blade. Comes with a wooden saya.

The Tanaka is unrefined, sharp dominate heel that will plow through food in it's path. A little rough around the edges. The spine is thick all the way to the tip. Bold Kanji. A little uncivilized.

Both knives are excellent for what they are. When people use the use the Ginga they love it. Coming from a Mercer or Wusy to a Ginga is illuminating. My better half liked the Ginga too my only Stainless knives were the Ginga & Tanaka. She would not touch my carbons or the Tanaka 240. :)

Think of the saya as a bonus. I am willing to bet that they are effectively a freebie...

But they are also very good to have... I am slowly adding sayas and padded cases for all my knives. Need to have good storage options if you need to travel with them or put them in a draw

Thanks for your input. My main issue with the Gesshin Stainless is that I am paying for the saya in the price as well, whereas with the Tanaka Ginsan, I am paying for pure knife. Honestly I am thinking about buying the Gesshin Stainless now, using it for some time and then buy something like the Tanaka down the road and keep the Gesshin as a gf/beater knife.

What you're thinking is somewhat confusing to me. If we're talking about the Wa version of the Gesshin stainless, I'm not sure the Tanaka is a clear upgrade.

I've handled the Wa version, the western version, the Tanaka Ginsan and the Tanaka VG10. The Wa-Gesshin is a different knife to the Western Gesshin and honestly I think it is quite a bit better. Profile and geometry is improved and it is very easy to sharpen. edge retention isn't noticeably different to the Tanaka. The main difference is that Tanaka's steel (even the VG10 version of it) tends to feel like it has some bite to the edge.

The Tanaka is a great cutter but a little awkward/rough around the edges at certain places. The Wa-Gesshin is overall a much more comfortable knife.

The main downside of the Wa-Gesshin is that there isn't a 240mm version.

Out of the lot I would actually pick the Wa-Gesshin. It is cheaper, has better F&F and you get a saya. Performance-wise I don't see a significant advantage from the Tanaka.

Thanks for all the input guys, I went ahead and actually placed an order for the Tanaka Ginsan. I think the Gesshin Stainless will be in my future later on, as well.

Thanks for all the input guys, I went ahead and actually placed an order for the Tanaka Ginsan. I think the Gesshin Stainless will be in my future later on, as well.

Congrads. I can assure you that just like a great many of us that came here thinking we'll have one knife and be done with it, you'll end up with many more in the very near future.

Let us know what you think of the Tanaka when you get it.

Hey guys,

A few days back I posted about which knife I should get as someone relatively new to japanese knives. You all helped me narrow down my choices quite a bit. There are now just 3 knives that are standing out to me, and I'm having a hard time choosing between the 3.

Tanaka Ginsan Nashiji: http://www.knivesandstones.com/tanaka-ginsan-nashiji-gyuto-210mm-lite/

Sukenari Ginsan: http://www.knivesandstones.com/sukenari-ginsanko-ginsan-gyuto-210mm/

JKI Stainless Gesshin: https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...ecials/products/gesshin-stainless-210mm-gyuto

I have a couple of cheaper knives already that I have practiced sharpening on and I have a good baseline for that. I am just finding myself lost as to what the differences between these will be. I know I can't really go wrong with any of the three, but which would YOU choose and why?

In this particular case I would go with Tanaka. I like the grind and the profile and for stainless, the steel is not awful.

Did you go for the 210mm Lite version? The handle on the lite is nice with real horn.

Back