If You Only Had One Pan.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you only had one pan/pot, what would you choose?

Mine would be my 8-quart all-clad stock pot. I use it easily 5+ times a week. And not only does it do pasta, soups, it tied as the top-rated dutch oven when Cook's Illustrated tested dutch ovens.

k.

So you can't have any cheapies along with it?

Actually I take that back. 15 or 20 qt stainless steel Centurion brazier. LOVE it!

-AJ

leCreusetOval.jpg

I can't name the steel or the maker so it's probably not much use, but I'd pick this this old junky soup pot I rescued from the restaurant a while back. Used it professionally for daily soups for years, so I have a sorta weird "zen" connection to it. It's kinda too big and heavy for practical home use, but it simply refuses to burn anything (even thick roux-heavy soups you walk away from) and I have, on occasion, used it to scramble eggs when I was too lazy to clean up the dishes.

I have a 12 qt vintage 60's copco enameled dutch oven in bright orange w/lid that I found in a basement years ago. I love this thing, they are some of the best cast iron cookware you can find and you can use the lid as a frying pan.

dutch oven.jpg

I have a smaller version of that Copco oven and love it.
The old stuff from Copco was made here in Denmark and is pretty easy to find at yard sales and second hand shops.

Lars

I'm gonna go against the grain and go with a 12" All clad or similar heavy stainless frying pan.

I have a smaller version of that Copco oven and love it.
The old stuff from Copco was made here in Denmark and is pretty easy to find at yard sales and second hand shops.

Lars

the vintage copco is so much better than the cheap mass produced stuff they make now. here in New york if you find them they are in design studios selling for hundreds of dollars not to be used just put on a shelf for some rich yuppie dufus to look at.

I use my Calphalon Commercial Non-stick 12" covered omelet pan more than any other, but I'm disappointed in it. It has never seen high heat or abrupt temperature deltas, but it is warped. I will eventually take advantage of the warranty and possibly try out its replacement (the Unison "Slide" pan). But honestly, I'd rather get a Meyer commercial pan or their Circulon Infinite version. I have a 7-quart Infinite pot that is fantastic; it's the one with the strainer lid, and all I'd need is a non-strainer lid and it would be my most-used piece of cookware.

the vintage copco is so much better than the cheap mass produced stuff they make now. here in New york if you find them they are in design studios selling for hundreds of dollars not to be used just put on a shelf for some rich yuppie dufus to look at.

It is good quality, for sure.
I don't think I payed more than $10 for any of my Copco stuff.
..I guess the local yuppies haven't found out yet..

Lars

It is good quality, for sure.
I don't think I payed more than $10 for any of my Copco stuff.
..I guess the local yuppies haven't found out yet..

Lars

So when can us folks not living Denmark expect your first pot post in the B/S/T section.

Justin,

I don't think I have enough posts to be allowed in the B/S/T forum..

Lars

My carbon steel, flat bottomed wok would be my "one" pot.

One pan= 12" deBuyer carbonne plus
One pot= 5.5 qrt Le Creuset dutch oven round

I have a 12 qt vintage 60's copco enameled dutch oven in bright orange w/lid that I found in a basement years ago. I love this thing, they are some of the best cast iron cookware you can find and you can use the lid as a frying pan.

One day I hope to inherit my parent's 1960 era Copco set.

-AJ

Few if any home cooks have used one of these. I want one bad even if my home kitchen stove top is to small. But $300-$400! Seriously, the best work horse in the kitchen. Use 'em nearly every day.
IMG_20120423_083250_3.jpg

-AJ

A wok, I guess it could also double as a helmet in this post one pot apocalypse:biggrin:

I usually find "If you only had one..." and "If you had to choose" questions irrelevant, for some reason this one is interesting: what pot/pan would potentially do it all?
My Le Creuset 9 qt. Dutch oven can do most everything, if necessary. Saute', braise, stocks, even fry eggs.

So what is it??

Few if any home cooks have used one of these. I want one bad even if my home kitchen stove top is to small. But $300-$400! Seriously, the best work horse in the kitchen. Use 'em nearly every day.

-AJ

I usually find "If you only had one..." and "If you had to choose" questions irrelevant, for some reason this one is interesting: what pot/pan would potentially do it all?
My Le Creuset 9 qt. Dutch oven can do most everything, if necessary. Saute', braise, stocks, even fry eggs.

The two pots that come to mind are the two I have on my list but don;t own, yet. The 9qt oval Le Creuset is one of them, a 12" Falk copper saute pan the other one.

Stefan

-AJ
I was gonna say the same. Soups, sauces, stocks, caramelized onions, lardons, confit, starches... These guys rule. Heavy bottoms for even sear, or continuous sweating. High sides for easy manipulation of product. Good surface area for ruductions... My favorite hands down...

So what is it??

They're referred to as rondo's in the food service industry. I've never had to order one, so there may be a different supplier name for em. They really do rule tho, only pot/pan that's equally at home on the stove and in the oven. All the ones I've used were aluminum btw... And were a little shorter and had a thicker gauge.

My 9qt Le Creuset Dutch Oven, one can literally do everything with it: Saute, braise, make sauces and stocks, simmer rice or pasta, poach eggs, deep fry, roast, bake no knead bread, whatever!

It reminds me of my AllClad 6 qt stock pot. That coupled with the #9 Griswold fry pan and I could do most anything.
Butt I do like my 18 qt for making stock!

4qt Sitram. has a dent but I love it. I stole it from a job I worked in college and have had it for 20+

Back