if you were allowed to only have 1 stone...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inferno

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) <*))))><
Reaction score
imagine this: you wake up one day and see the sink is full of mud. during the night the evil stone fairy was there and ground up all your stones on an atoma. and from now on you are only allowed to have 1 singe stone. otherwise the stone fairy comes back (and grinds away all your knives this time).

so armed with what you know now, what would you chose? also you can't cheat with sand paper, or a belt grinder or similar. no sharpening gizmos, or rods/steels either. and definitely no strops!!

obviously there will have to be some compromises :)
motivate why you chose a particular stone.

Would have to be diamond vitrified or resin 800-1000 grit. Would suck for repair or thinning, but leaving everything at 400 would suck too and around 1K is used a lot more. Diamond because would work for anything and would last a very long time without dishing, etc.

I was originally going to say something like a Shapton 1500 or GBOJ, but I think I'd go lower for more versatility - Shapton 1000 or Chosera 800. I think you'd want something that gives a good workable edge, but you need to be able to some repair work as well.

Shapton Pro 2k for sure. In my limited home cook use, I seem not to chip my knives, so the Shapton would be fast enough. ...and it gives a great, practical edge.

I was originally going to say something like a Shapton 1500 or GBOJ, but I think I'd go lower for more versatility - Shapton 1000 or Chosera 800. I think you'd want something that gives a good workable edge, but you need to be able to some repair work as well.

shappro 1k/nanipro800, yeah i was thinking those exact 2 same stones. but the problem with them is that they dont actually get knives all that sharp imo. aggressive yes, but not really sharp imo.
i had the same feeling with the naniwa 1k. it finishes at about 1500 but its simply not enough. its just a tiny bit too unrefined imo.

for me i think i would have to go for the shapton pro 2k. or maybe the glass 3k (would suck for chips/thinning though). why? I feel the shapton 2k is almost as fast as the naniwa pro 1k, no big difference there.
and it gives a quite sharp result. much sharper than naniwa pro1k.

the 3k glass would get me more sharp at the cost of even slower speed. but maybe i can up my dedication. and spend some time on a nice stone :) it probably would be worth it for the results but probably not worth it for the time.

below 1k for me, no way. its like a fine saw. and i have a few saws already.

Natural? I have something like a sandstone, hard but very fast with a somewhat satin finer finish eventually. This because some kind of geometry adjustments will be needed.

Synthetic? Maybe Nanohone 400, same reason. But this will need some flattening sooner, while the natural is more resilient. So, maybe the first one.

Unless... I would get an unlimited supply of that one stone.

do you want the stone fairy coming back?? you can't fool the stone fairy.

Hahaha. In that case...

Gesshin 2K. I figure I'll suffer through thinning/repairs whenever they come but will be able to have functional edges on everything i have. Plus i just love this stone.

Maido 2000 or Suehiro Rika 5000. Either will raise a burr on whatever knife as well as giving a nice edge. Aoto was a consideration but doesn’t do as well on R2 and such.

Bester 1200... a knife is sharp enough for the kitchen and it’s corse enough to thin a bit if you keep up on a good grind.
Then strop if needed.... didn’t say anything about stropping

Bester 1200... a knife is sharp enough for the kitchen and it’s corse enough to thin a bit if you keep up on a good grind.
Then strop if needed.... didn’t say anything about stropping

Lol he definitely said no strops

From what I have...Naniwa 220 probably.

Either a Shinden or Ohira suita, on the medium hard med fine side. Then I will order 1)a lot of sandpaper 2) a kasfly sandpaper holder 3) book on black magic and how to Vanquish fairies for dummies

King Hyper 1000, can remove chips but it'll take a while. Good enough edge.

Back