if you were allowed to only have 1 stone...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the 2k stones are often forgotten. everyone want a coarse (usually 1k) and a "finishing stone" like a 5-6k. but for steels and uses this is just wasted imo. long live the 2k
2k stones are my favorites. For some tasks and for some steels they are completely sufficient, more would be wrong. Long live the 2k!

Im more of a 1k advocate, just works better for me.... Nothing fancy, choseras, kitayamas, etc.

I prefer 3k myself. Must be the right one though

which pro2k, naniwa or shapton?
the naniwa pro is the same as chosera but without holder.

the shapton pro2k is s&g, hard, fast, dish slow, no slurry, feels nice for what it is. i'd say its a true 2k.
the naniwa pro 2k is not true s&g, its quite fast, hard, dishes faster than shapton, slurries but not overly muddy or anything, but it does release abrasive, slurry breaks down and creates about 3k scratch pattern if you compare to shapton glass for instance.
In addition only: at the first contact Chosera 2k feels more aggressive to me than the SP2k, especially with some mud being created before use. With a well maintained knife, expect a substantial burr to appear almost immediately.
Later on, the particles get smoother as you described and the end result is indeed in the 3k area.

Last edited:
10 x 3 x 3 self slurry fast cutting Nakayama 3-4 hardness and particle. I know $1500+ but a fairy was mentioned.

Starting to get the **** of my new aizu and really liking the edges. Gonna try a dull edge on that but if it's not taking me forever to build an apex back, might choose this one

First JNat I ever bought (off a KKF member) was a full-sized Hakka Tomae...now have 10 other JNats and a few synthetics, but nothing beats that Hakka. It is my absolute keeper.

I can't help but interpret this question as "which stone would I grab when the house is on fire?"
Lol...
Not real practical, but I would grab my favorite Ohira Suita, hands down... then just never let any blade get too dull. Constant touch ups.

I have a lot of stones, as do we all but my habit has been to just grab my Shapton Pro 2k and go to sharpening or maintaining. All my other stones are stored away but the Shapton Pro 2k is always at the ready and the only stone I grab. I could sell all my other stones and wouldn't loose any sleep over it. Well maybe for the Chosera 800, I might.

1K stone, I have several so I would have a difficult time choosing between my; Shapton Glass, JNS 1K, Nubatama 1K, and a Suehiro 1K - I would lean to the JNS 1K lately I use it a lot.

Very interesting question. I will have to choose not my favourite stone or the most used stone. Its actually have to be a stone that I rarely use because it falls into that weird niche that can be fulfilled by many others better stones combined.
Chosera 800

I got a small odd ball coticule with red stripes. Guess it acts a bit coarser than the razor coticules. Damn, it is fast and leaves a nice toothy edge.

update, found an old pic of it:

I'll fight the stone fairy to protect my Gesshin 600.
After many years of liking very polished edges, now I enjoy the gritty feeling of a toothy edge so my #600 will be the saved one. :D

Latest posts

Back