Ikazuchi 240mm Gyuto or ... ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deskjockey

Reaction score
I was looking at the Gihei Blue #2 Gyuto 240mm to complement a "laser" Santoku in my modest kitchen collection at the moment. However, in that thread the Ikazuchi was mentioned. Now, I am wondering if it might be better to spend my money on one Gyuto and save the money on a second purchase for other uses later (maybe a Deba, or Kamagata, new Boos cutting board or ???) instead of a possibly redundant Santoku.

IKAZUCHI 240MM STAINLESS CLAD BLUE SUPER WA-GYUTO

I have used Gyuto in the past and have a very entry level example I have resurrected from the dead now. I really like the ~240mm size for practicality because it is about as big as I can fit in my current kitchen and it is big enough for heads of lettuce (we get small ones out here) and similar large things except for Watermelons! I have also found a cheap entry level Honesuki so, I have a knife I can use for hard things that might hurt a thin edge or if I need to "poke" things free like Cauliflower florets.

How does Ikazuchi Gyuto compare to the Gihei? Where is the balance, how is the distal taper, what is the blade geometry and grind like? How will it do on something hard like a Butternut Squash versus something really soft like an over ripe Tomato? Or is a laser Santoku and a stouter 240mm Gyuto really a better overall solution? I should also note, that while I really enjoy beef, pork, and chicken I mainly eat vegetable dishes right now and my meat comsumption is moving to a smoker and charcoal grill so, other than meat as a side ingredient, this knife is going to see mainly vegetables.

TIA!

Harukaze does seem to have a larger flat spot though. 170 for a 240mm AS clad seems really damn affordable. Anyone have any experience with that knife?

Ikazuchi is pretty thin all the way through... (laser). That said, the pics on JKI for the Ikazuchi don't do the knife justice. Here's a vid [video=youtube;g4y4tOFPc3I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4y4tOFPc3I[/video]

Ikazuchi is pretty much the same as harukaze.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=26s&v=KrjJzc4sdw4

Profiles looks slightly different—tad more belly, and measurements are not identical based on the websites. Ikazuchi seems to have a more refined finish on the blade face, based on images I've searched on the internet—however, I've not handled either. Harukaze has an attractive price, but personally I like the Ikazuchi's ho/buffalo horn handle and blade finish much more.

There's only a difference of $30 between the two, and the Ikazuchi comes with a saya, Harukaze does not have a saya with it—so basically the same price.

The Ikazuchi's edge pattern looks sweet and its more of a laser. I have one in 240, but considering trading for a 210. Check the videos on Youtube.

Back