Ikeda or Fujiwara

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
saying you can buy a Tsourkan new for $344 around here is like yelling fire in a crowded theatre.

can we please not let this google talk distract from the fact this dude said, literally, quoting him here:

Hitachi steel is the best and 52100 is pot metal

shi han melts that slab down and is making probably at least a few hundred knives out of it good for him if he's got suckers that want a penny of steel in their knife

52100 is a very cheap steel used by people who aren't very good.. Its very easy to heat treat etc there's way less skill in that than a blacksmith working with white steel or blue steel from Hitachi so why would spend 100 more on a run of the mill 52100 when I can get a fully handcrafted in house knife
(which btw lol Shehan is way more hands on)

can we please not let this google talk distract from the fact this dude said, literally, quoting him here:

I know, but I don’t care really. He’s pulled his own pants down for everyone to see there, for better or worse. And, as a vain man who likes to feel superior <twiddles imaginary moustache and breaks scone extra fiercely> it’s good to have people like this around

I’m not sure the boast of well paid chefs in the UK bears too much scrutiny either.

I can buy a Tsourkan gyuto right now this second brand new for £237 a devin Thomas for £330 both of which are by far cheaper than shi hans 480 of the same steel I also don't know who they are but their blades look nicer for the lower cost
Post links. Love to see those

Google’s fault, keep up. I’d also like to see where you get a 240 Denka for £380 too.

I am clearly shopping in the wrong places and can’t use Google either.

😩

Google’s fault, keep up. I’d also like to see where you get a 240 Denka for £380 too.

I am clearly shopping in the wrong places and can’t use Google either.

😩
I think he's referring to a 210 and thats the price bought direct.

The Buckfast extra good up there tonight?

Scotland has more golf courses that sane people. Discuss

I think, albeit I’ve been out of the Japan direct purchasing game for a few years, that 2.5% is just the import duty. You’ll need to pay an additional processing fee dependent on courier (about £12-15 for DHL iirc, less for RM) and then probably VAT on the declared import value.

Sometimes you’re lucky, but I think TF’s face on the packaging invariably sets off alarms and alerts customs. Or that was my experience anyhow

I'm not saying he's not a good blacksmith probably makes a nice blade but working 2 years in Japan is his biggest credit he's not a recognised master he's using a far cheaper inferior steel and is charging more money for it. Regardless of anything else fujiwara uses the most Aogami core in the world its a lot thicker and its hammered more hence its able to take the edge it takes at the hardness its at. If I'm buying a Japanese handmade knife I want it made in Japan using Hitachi steel and its as simple as that to me Hitachi steel is the best and 52100 is pot metal
Kramer uses 52100 and his knives sell for several Grand.

And I've got drill bits made of better metal than his knife. From a structural engineering standpoint 52100 is rated to be 13hrc lower than its rated hrc in use and had thermal expansion at temperatures of 32c with a brittleness/ fracture rate at less than 90c which is less than hot water temperature. And that's from factory hammering it and working it only makes figures worse meaning that knife could literally shatter just washing it and putting it on a counter. And before you ask I hold city and guilds level 7 doctorats in motor vehicle technition and in fabrication/ welding as well I'm currently out doing an engineering level 6 of 7 possible levels 4 days a week while working as a chef. Don't try to tell me about 52100 it's common wheel bearing steel that you can cut with a hacksaw in minutes I know that because the hacksaw I have out of it I made myself on level 3 fabrication and welding. 5 years ago with basic hand tools. I spend all my time non chefing taking any and all courses on a miriad of things.

Wow, what an, uh, interesting entrance you've made!
I love my Shihan, and I respect his experience and products. I'll be very careful not to put it in 90C water. So far, no issues with shattering after just washing it and putting it on the counter. And now I know not to take a hacksaw to it. No one had ever warned me of that before!
Devin Thomas is quite positive about the overall characteristics of 52100, and I have a lot of respect for his opinions. Marko Tsourkan makes very nice knives out of it as well.
(For balance, I agree that Hitachi makes some fine steels, and I really like the knives I have from them. I'd hate to limit myself to their offerings, though, as we are fortunate to live in a time where there are a LOT of great steels available for knives.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back