Ikeda - Shigehiro vs. not

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My ikeda honyaki Will Be sharpened by Ino.

Shigehiro IS sharpened by kasahara.

I think thats the biggest difference.

I can't comment on the shigehiro (wish I could!), but the regular Y. Ikeda wasn't for me. It was thick behind the edge, spine and choil were sharp. It's possible I got a clunker. Sandblast finish. Bernal has them without handles. Could be a cool knife if you had some time to put in...

Only from pictures yeah I see a lot of regular Y ikeda being more workhorsey . . . as in thicker everywhere, with less taper than shigehiro. For grind it seems like shigehiro is a more a nice taper v, and regular ikeda is like V but with a U shape near the edge, . . .so fatter.

i'm at ht sort of guy though, and sakai knives a bit too short in height for me. there's also another ikeda that's taller somewhere, don't remember.

I’ve used lots of versions of Ikeda knives, I really enjoy the shigehiro line, kasahara grinds are pretty awesome

The Shigehiro is supposedly the shi*t! I have his Aogami #1 (which is one of the best blades I have ever messed with) and the mizu honyaki in white #2 -- just for context.

I offer this not as someone with first hand experience, but from everyone I have spoken to: The Shigehiro is very good work. Probably not the level of the Suminagashi in Blue 1, but very very good.

Theres always chance to custom order one. I asked mine to Be 245*55. Gonna see in abouth month how its like.

fyi...240 come in 2 height option (48, 52) if you buy jdm...taller cost more tho

edit: f-flash said same thing above

Fwiw, this is a choil shot of my ikeda b1 honyaki.
20190203_184958.jpg

Mine was sharpened by kasahara. I don't think there would be too much of a difference though.

I got an Ikeda from Bernal. I perfered that over the shigehiro. It was taller(which Bernal’s are taller than any I’ve seen by a few mm) the f&f was better on the shig, the Ikeda has a better taper or but is a little thicker at the spine. Holding both and cutting with both they were very simular knives. I’ve seen Ikedas with height at 44mm. The one from Bernal is almost 50 that I got.

Mine was sharpened by kasahara. I don't think there would be too much of a difference though.
Ah, I thought it was sharpened by Ino as I was under the impression Kasahara grind tend to be thinner. Btw, I also just ordered a Shigehiro clone with measurement 240 x 50-52 just to experience Kasahara grind.

I got an Ikeda from Bernal. I perfered that over the shigehiro. It was taller(which Bernal’s are taller than any I’ve seen by a few mm) the f&f was better on the shig, the Ikeda has a better taper or but is a little thicker at the spine. Holding both and cutting with both they were very simular knives. I’ve seen Ikedas with height at 44mm. The one from Bernal is almost 50 that I got.

I see. My ikeda is 48mm in height. I have not used it yet, but I believe that it is also a little thick, from the way the grind looks. However, the food release should be good,i hope. lol.

Below are two choil shots. The Shigehiro is obviously thinner behind the edge so it performs better overall, but the honyaki has better separation. Both are great. For the money, the Shigehiro combo is pretty fantastic.

BTW, I just picked up an Ikeda sumi from Bernal and it was delivered today. I can post a choil shot from that for comparison as well.

Shigehiro white #2

44554868582_91730e5c73_k.jpg

Ikeda white #3 honyaki

45993725615_bc0878a187_k.jpg

Below are two choil shots. The Shigehiro is obviously thinner behind the edge so it performs better overall, but the honyaki has better separation. Both are great. For the money, the Shigehiro combo is pretty fantastic.

BTW, I just picked up an Ikeda sumi from Bernal and it was delivered today. I can post a choil shot from that for comparison as well.

Shigehiro white #2

44554868582_91730e5c73_k.jpg

Ikeda white #3 honyaki

45993725615_bc0878a187_k.jpg

I have (and adore) the B1 sumi from Bernal. The steel is just incredible. I also have the 270 W2 mizu honyaki. Sort of figured I have the Ikeda box checked. But that choi from the Shigehiro looks KILLER!

The new shigehiro line seem to be ground differently. More workhorse. Not that that's a bad thing. Here's a comparison of mine *buttermilk vs Carbonknifeco

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 201
These seem like pretty good knives for the money
assuming you like x48mm basic dimension on the 240.

They have a slicer (suji) and petty that also looks pretty good.

Ikeada makes knives for countless brands and retailers. I’ve owned several and they ranged from good to not great. Most of the knives performance is through the ability of the profiler/finisher. The only one I have left is an old Honyaki and that was an Ittetsu example. Very nicely put together.
The new shigehiro line seem to be ground differently. More workhorse. Not that that's a bad thing. Here's a comparison of mine *buttermilk vs Carbonknifeco
wonder what ever happened to Sam? He disappeared like a fart in the wind!

I just got my 270 today. It’s 254x49 and 264g. I haven’t used it yet, but so far feels pretty good. I have some 240’s that are just about the same length so glad I went with the 270.

Ikeada makes knives for countless brands and retailers. I’ve owned several and they ranged from good to not great. Most of the knives performance is through the ability of the profiler/finisher. The only one I have left is an old Honyaki and that was an Ittetsu example. Very nicely put together.

Strange dude for sure. His instagram is full of equally strange photography now.

I noticed you used the words good to not great. Have any of your ikedas been great, or are they simply okay?

Back