Quantcast

I'm Embarrassed to Ask . . .

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Rotary

Reaction score
My mother has her heart set on buying my sister a block set for Christmas, and has asked me for a recommendation. I've tried to talk her out of it in favor of one or two quality knives, but she is determined to buy a set in a block. Unfortunately, her budget is only around $150, so I'm afraid that left to her own devices she's going to end up with something from a big box store.

Does anyone have thoughts on a set in that range that might be the least bit worthwhile?

tk59

Founding Member
Reaction score
Forschner... Mercer... On the Mercers, make sure it's the bolsterless design.

Benuser

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A small set of rosewood Victorinox / Forschner I would say.

Eamon Burke

Banned
Reaction score
Assuming that you are allowing $50 to pay for the block itself, and the crappy honing rod it will come with, and most sets are 6-9 knives, that leaves $11-17 per knife.

So no. Buy one that is pretty.

bprescot

Founding Member
Reaction score
Yep. The Victorinox is the way to go if you can't dissuade her from the Block idea.

Rotary

Reaction score
Yep. The Victorinox is the way to go if you can't dissuade her from the Block idea.
Believe me, I've tried. Thanks to all. The Victorinox seems like the way to go.

jaybett

Reaction score
What about a gift set? The ones that include a chef and paring knife. If your mother wants to give a knife block, as part of the gift. Purchase one of those ultra cheap knife sets, with a block. Throw away the knifes and put in the gift set.

Jay

tk59

Founding Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of blocks I no longer need. I'd send you one, if you pay for shipping. :)