I'm Embarrassed to Ask . . .

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rotary

Reaction score
My mother has her heart set on buying my sister a block set for Christmas, and has asked me for a recommendation. I've tried to talk her out of it in favor of one or two quality knives, but she is determined to buy a set in a block. Unfortunately, her budget is only around $150, so I'm afraid that left to her own devices she's going to end up with something from a big box store.

Does anyone have thoughts on a set in that range that might be the least bit worthwhile?

Forschner... Mercer... On the Mercers, make sure it's the bolsterless design.

Assuming that you are allowing $50 to pay for the block itself, and the crappy honing rod it will come with, and most sets are 6-9 knives, that leaves $11-17 per knife.

So no. Buy one that is pretty.

Yep. The Victorinox is the way to go if you can't dissuade her from the Block idea.

Yep. The Victorinox is the way to go if you can't dissuade her from the Block idea.

Believe me, I've tried. Thanks to all. The Victorinox seems like the way to go.

What about a gift set? The ones that include a chef and paring knife. If your mother wants to give a knife block, as part of the gift. Purchase one of those ultra cheap knife sets, with a block. Throw away the knifes and put in the gift set.

Jay

I have a couple of blocks I no longer need. I'd send you one, if you pay for shipping. :)

Back