Impulse buys

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loopback

Reaction score
I see it all the time in the BST forum -- "I bought this on an impulse, and don't really need/use it." Just curious to hear other impulse buy stories.

Here's mine:
I bought a Haburn knife seconds after it was listed, without having time to even examine the blade past a cursory glance. Anyone who has tried to buy a Haburn probably knows that they sell nearly instantly, and if you don't act as fast as possible, someone else will swoop in and buy it.

Kato 180 Nakiri KU. The JNS email popped up just as I was looking and thought why not, I'll be able to sell it if I didn't like it.

I've kept it ever since. It's too good to part with.

I just happened to be searching aframestokyo, clueless about the loot sitting in the barren shigefusa section that hardly ever gets updated. Lo and behold. A shigefusa Kitaeji garasuki?!?

No way is that just sitting there. I didn't even have the money to buy it. Thank god for credit!!!

What a great night that was. Some intense adrenaline from that experience!

Kato ku gyuto. Got a message from Tony in Tokyo saying "want one?" Didn't think twice

Ordered a honyaki mukimono this way after a night out with the boys. $600 peeling knife lol.

Bought a couple knives for a friend, he didn't like the knives I kept throwing his way. He went from a bill burke, to a Haburn, to a Shigefusa. And still prefers his MAC. One of these days I'll get rid of the Haburn since it's a Bunka which I have no need for.

I have high standards, after reading about them here I splurged on impulse and bought a Kiwi for 8$ and a Kom Kom for 9$. Both are a tall 60mm at the heel K tips. Hollow ground edge. The handles are quality local woods just slapped on with a cheap coating. Filled the gaps in the handle with epoxy & sanded down to bare wood also polishing up the pins that had scratches. Turned out nice because of the color of the wood with a good finish.

They look similar but the one dollar more Kom Kom the partial tang goes farther back in the handle. It also has less rocker than the Kiwi. I put a sharp edge on both, the Kom Kom had a bent K tip I had to fix. Got an even burr on my King Hyper. 1K.

Was not expecting much used the Kiwi for prepping meals it cut well the blades are pretty thin. The edge has been holding up well slicing tomatoes, peeling watermelon, chopping up stuff. You do not want to cut anything too hard with these thin stainless blades. In fact edge was holding up better than I expected so I looked up heat treating for these knives & they are HT.

Class started yesterday I sold them both to students for 10.00 each. Not a bad deal with much improved handles.

Ordered a honyaki mukimono this was after a night out with the boys. $600 peeling knife lol.

Not knife related but have been toying idly with the idea of buying a rice cooker but hadn't got to the stage of doing any research into brands prices etc other than having heard anecdotally that Tiger was a good brand. Was in Chinatown yesterday shopping, saw an electrical retailer advertising Tiger products, thought" these guys will know their stuff" so in I go. Tell the super cute shop assistant I'm looking for a rice cooker, she points to one and says this one is the best. Ok I'll take it. Thank you sir, $600 please. Wow!!!! I had no idea they were that expensive. I should have looked at the bloody price before I got bewitched by the cute shop assistant.

Also every Shig I've ever bought has been a right place, right time scenario. Aaaaaactually... Bloody Tony put me onto a Kitaeji once... I'm sensing a pattern.

Kato ku gyuto. Got a message from Tony in Tokyo saying "want one?" Didn't think twice

Hey hey.. I offered you this on two seperate occasions .. but u only said yes on one occasion.. but yes definitely impulse, was about to walk out the door and Otto told me to ask for katos and then comes out 2 ku katos .. I did not have enough money on me after buying some stones. Had to come back 10 days later to pay for it..

10 cups so not super huge commercial quantities but it's induction heat, fuzzy logic, something something something. It sounded pretty good and she was really, really cute.
Wow, that must be a pretty special rice cooker! I don't think I've ever spent more than about 50 bucks on one. I didn't even realise that you could.

Wow, that must be a pretty special rice cooker! I don't think I've ever spent more than about 50 bucks on one. I didn't even realise that you could.
Neither did I. I had one years ago which was about 20 bucks from Kmart and performed accordingly so I've never bothered about getting another one until recently when the idea popped into my head. I own a food business so it'll go on the books as a business expense so it's not really a big deal but I was definitely gobsmacked at how much they've changed over the years, both performance and pricewise.

I went through that too, posted here surprised how many have expensive rice cookers. The Fuzzy Induction is more $$. The Fuzzy non induction models take about 2 hours to cook 3 cups of brown rice.

Kato 180 Nakiri KU. The JNS email popped up just as I was looking and thought why not, I'll be able to sell it if I didn't like it.

I've kept it ever since. It's too good to part with.

Good? My my you have high standards. What do you consider excellent? HA
I was not trying to hype these! It is amazing and such a complex grind with so many uses. But I love push cutting and appreciate it is not for everyone :)

270 Oatley slicer... basically bought off his WIP of his handle.

I had literally just picked up my Tansu Custom and said to myseld no more knives...

I wasn't able to finish the statement before i hit the send on "I'll take it"

Was meant to be this year.

Back