In defense of the electric hob

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Induction stoves are the spawn of the devil. They were invented by the Illuminati in order to exercise mind control of the populace. They have numerous serious health effects, studies of which have been suppressed by Big Appliance. The risks include loss of appetite, reduced fertility, heart palpitations, mind palpitations, and brain rot. So there! 😈

Funny that you mention heart palpitations. It turns out that induction hobs have the potential to reprogram or otherwise interfere with your cardiac pacemaker. It is usually just a problem if you are within two feet of the device, like when you are stirring a pot. Note that pacemakers are pretty common. Thus, if you have a pacer or might unexpectedly need one in the future (this covers most living persons), and are not suicidal, you might want to think twice before investing in an expensive induction cooktop.

Ya know, I primarily cook on a resistance cooktop in a property I don't own and over which I have no say about the type of stove available to me. So I put myself in that category. And as I've already said, this cooktop is preferable in some ways to the crappy gas ranges I've had in other previous properties. But it's not especially better with respect to health and indoor air quality, because the primary consideration in that respect is ventilation -- not the heat source. My resistance cooktop produces almost no emissions (in the house -- the powerplant is a different story) but if I sear a steak inside, it smokes out the place like nobody's business. That's why I sear outside. Same deal with deep frying.

All that said, I don't really understand the dialectic of this thread. The detractors of electric resistance stoves have made their points well enough, but I still don't know what the points in favor of it are supposed to be. DitmasPork cited an article urging us to "go electric" in which the author crapped all over electric resistance heating and urged people and policymakers to adopt induction instead. That's a message that all of us "haters of electric" have been getting behind throughout this thread. On balance, induction > resistance. Electric coils? Nobody said they are "the devil's messenger." What people are saying is that they're inferior to gas and induction on pretty much every measure except being cheap (and even that's debatable). I understand that if you live in NYC and have limited options, you have to take what you're given. Maybe gas isn't the best option in your cramped, unventilated, pricey abode. But is resistance electric the best option? Even the article quoted, the answer is "no."

Defenders of resistance heating have been big on saying things like "oh, a good cook can produce good food on any kind of range," or "I like to be flexible and cook on whatever is available." And again I'll note that everyone thinks this is true. Nobody walks into a kitchen, sees an electric range, and says "No good cook could cook in here!" or "**** this ****, I'm out of here," or "I'll burn this place to the ground before I cook on that POS." We all adapt and make due with what's on hand, and the best cooks can excel within all kinds of limitations. Nobody truly finds coils "unacceptable." They might crap on them, strongly prefer other things, or whatever... but nobody is literally going to throw their hands up in the air and say "No -- I draw the line at cooking on resistance stoves!". That's a straw man. Just like the stupid idea that motivated the article that started this thread: "You have to have a gas stove to be a good cook." Nobody has ever argued for that.

Mostly I can't believe that people are having this debate on this forum, of all places. Here people debate about what kind of diamond or obscure Japanese rock is the best to polish whatever obscure meteorite vanadium alloyed magic steel that 99.95 percent of the population has never heard of and have no use for. The fake folksy "my Grammy used an electric coil stove, and her cooking was just fine with Grandpa!" type of reasoning strikes me as either disingenuous or strangely compartementalized. So I'll say it again, since people have apparently not gotten my point -- nobody would seriously prefer to cook on an electric resistance range if they had enough space, money, ventilation, or ownership to cook on something else. If you're going to try to offer an argument against anything I've said in this thread, please argue against that specific claim.

I'll end by echoing the last point in HHC's last post. "How's about we just encourage people to cook and get excited about that?" I whole-heartedly endorse this position. I wouldn't argue against that at all. Just like I wouldn't tell people not to cook if they had crappy knives or crappy stoves or sub-par ingredients or whatever. Nobody is saying not to cook at all if all they have is a resistance range. They're not saying that they'd refuse to cook on one, or that they'd refuse to adapt to whatever's on hand, or that no poor person in a crowded and overpriced urban market should ever cook on one if that's all they have available. The point is just that gas and induction are each better in their own ways than resistance electric is. This isn't a reason not to cook -- I have an electric resistance range and I cook on it (almost) all the time! But it's still inferior to the alternatives.

Last edited:
nobody would seriously prefer to cook on an electric resistance range if they had enough space, money, ventilation, or ownership to cook on something else. If you're going to try to offer an argument against anything I've said in this thread, please argue against that specific claim.

I preferred my previous smooth top electric to my current gas stove, except for my current wok capabilities. I enumerated the pros somewhere on the first page of this thread. (When I upgrade, it’ll probably be to induction.) But whatever, I agree this thread is totally ridiculous. 4 pages of people saying the exact same things 100 times… 🤦

Funny that you mention heart palpitations. It turns out that induction hobs have the potential to reprogram or otherwise interfere with your cardiac pacemaker.
Hah, that was pure accident. I wasn't aware of the pacemaker problem. Looks like induction is simply not an option for at least some people with pacemakers. (A brief search suggests that it depends on the type of pacemaker and how it is installed.)

Ian: I also prefer my smooth top electric to my previous gas stoves. Of course, that doesn't mean that resistance heating is better per se than gas or induction. But yeah, I agree that this thread has gotten ridiculous so I'ma bow out and not argue about this anymore. After all, I use gas, resistance, and induction depending on the task at hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: ian
"...people who bothered..."

Ya know, lots of folks don't have the means or are restricted in a whole lot of this stuff.

i get what you're saying and agree with you.

but i'll add that i think indoor air quality is sadly an oft-overlooked problem. it's never a bad idea to "bother" investing in your health and adequately ventilate your cooking equipment.

i say this as someone with a woefully underventilated commercial, open-burner range at one of my places. it makes me uneasy every time i use it. haha. i'll get to that remodel eventually!

Hah, that was pure accident. I wasn't aware of the pacemaker problem. Looks like induction is simply not an option for at least some people with pacemakers. (A brief search suggests that it depends on the type of pacemaker and how it is installed.)

It does raise the possibility of potentially new marketable kitchen gear. Lead-lined kitchen aprons! Fashionable Faraday cage chef’s jackets!

that blue flame on your stove is putting out more than CO2 and H2O. but even CO2 lowers indoor air quality.

Adam Ragusea just released a video that discusses gas and electric cooktops.

I noticed he stated about boiling water that he compared to electric said he used his small gas burner? Why would he not use his largest burner, maybe a larger pot also. I cooked on American coil burner like he showed for 14 years. My Viking gas range to me is better in every way that I remember of course it has been 17 years since I cooked electric. What I remember about my original Kenmore gas cook top was it was too small. I had pans all bunched up. I think it had a smaller footprint than my old electric stove.

Stove at parent's that I'm cooking on for the next few weeks. No issues, no frustrations—timing a bit different than my gas range. Just a heat source, I've adjusted—also a source of nostalgia for me.

TBH, prob better than my gas range—oven is more true than the gas range I have in NYC.

IMG_8428.jpeg

After reading through some of this thread, I got curious if I could think of anything besides start-up price that coil electric is better than induction. I came up with maybe two:

Coil electric probably won't shut down from overheating like some induction stoves. If I stir fry on my induction stove for too long, the burner will get too hot and it will shut itself off to prevent damage. Basically, any time I leave the burner on max with a heavy pan for a long time. It's incredibly frustrating when it happens. A better induction stove might solve this problem, but I'd guess that electric coil stoves don't have this problem. Glass top coil stoves still might have this problem though, I don't know.

Cheaper pans. If you cook in a way that damages pans, it might be a lot better to have a coil electric vs induction. In my opinion, the biggest downside to induction is you need good pans that lie flat. Cheap aluminum pans are probably always going to be cheaper than a magnetic pan. Not only that, I suspect a coil stove cares less about a flat bottom. I'm not exactly sure what cooking technique will destroy pans, but I would guess something where you need to cook with extremely high heat, then immediately deglaze.

I agree with Adam Ragusea about the heat output. Most gas stoves I've cooked on have less extremely high and extremely low heat than induction or electric. Of course you can always get a gas stove that will have a higher max heat output.

It does raise the possibility of potentially new marketable kitchen gear. Lead-lined kitchen aprons! Fashionable Faraday cage chef’s jackets!

I'd guess the risk is from the cycling magnetic field, not some sort of radiation so lead is probably not the best solution. It might make people feel better though.

I would try mu metal. Unfortunately, that would be more like wearing a breastplate.

After reading through some of this thread, I got curious if I could think of anything besides start-up price that coil electric is better than induction. I came up with maybe two:

Coil electric probably won't shut down from overheating like some induction stoves. If I stir fry on my induction stove for too long, the burner will get too hot and it will shut itself off to prevent damage. Basically, any time I leave the burner on max with a heavy pan for a long time. It's incredibly frustrating when it happens. A better induction stove might solve this problem, but I'd guess that electric coil stoves don't have this problem. Glass top coil stoves still might have this problem though, I don't know.

Cheaper pans. If you cook in a way that damages pans, it might be a lot better to have a coil electric vs induction. In my opinion, the biggest downside to induction is you need good pans that lie flat. Cheap aluminum pans are probably always going to be cheaper than a magnetic pan. Not only that, I suspect a coil stove cares less about a flat bottom. I'm not exactly sure what cooking technique will destroy pans, but I would guess something where you need to cook with extremely high heat, then immediately deglaze.

I agree with Adam Ragusea about the heat output. Most gas stoves I've cooked on have less extremely high and extremely low heat than induction or electric. Of course you can always get a gas stove that will have a higher max heat output.

I'd guess the risk is from the cycling magnetic field, not some sort of radiation so lead is probably not the best solution. It might make people feel better though.

I would try mu metal. Unfortunately, that would be more like wearing a breastplate.

Restaurant supply stainless steel pans are better than aluminum in every way. They heat up faster and more evenly. They are highly unlikely to warp. At my cafe we use induction burners. We have very limited space and no hoods. We pretty much have to toss the hot used pans straight into the dish sink because there's nowhere to let them safely cool off. I have been amazed at how sturdy they are compared to the cheap aluminum ones I used for most of my professional cooking life. I remember when I worked in an Indian restaurant, we made our Basmati in a giant aluminum rondeau. We had to buy a new one every couple of months because the rondeaus would always warp enough that the lid didn't fit tight and then they were useless for steaming rice. And the aluminum saute pans would always warp enough that you couldn't use them to simmer anything on the stove without supporting the thing with a pair of tongs. And they would warp so bad that it would pull the rivets right out of the handles. You walk into a place with a giant stack of aluminum pans it's guaranteed they all have loose handles. The base of the stainless steel ones will eventually start to separate and peel away but it takes years of abuse.

Restaurant supply stainless steel pans are better than aluminum in every way. They heat up faster and more evenly. They are highly unlikely to warp. At my cafe we use induction burners. We have very limited space and no hoods. We pretty much have to toss the hot used pans straight into the dish sink because there's nowhere to let them safely cool off. I have been amazed at how sturdy they are compared to the cheap aluminum ones I used for most of my professional cooking life. I remember when I worked in an Indian restaurant, we made our Basmati in a giant aluminum rondeau. We had to buy a new one every couple of months because the rondeaus would always warp enough that the lid didn't fit tight and then they were useless for steaming rice. And the aluminum saute pans would always warp enough that you couldn't use them to simmer anything on the stove without supporting the thing with a pair of tongs. And they would warp so bad that it would pull the rivets right out of the handles. You walk into a place with a giant stack of aluminum pans it's guaranteed they all have loose handles. The base of the stainless steel ones will eventually start to separate and peel away but it takes years of abuse.

This is great information! I don't suppose you can tell me the brand or type? Are they tri-ply, disk, or just solid stainless? I'm guessing a disk type, from your observation that the "base of the stainless steel ones peel away".

I've been looking for an affordable fry pan that can I beat up and won't warp. I only have a single disk pan so its more than possible that a disk pan would solve my problems :D

I'm doing tons of eggs so I have to buy nonsticks. And they get beat up and then I have to buy more. I've been very happy with the Vigor brand from Webstaurantstore. But I suspect that they are rebranded Thunder Group pans. Thunder Group is available all over the place. I also recently bought some Winco ones from Restaurant Depot. They have been fine too. The price between the heavy aluminum ones and the stainless steel disk ones has come down over the years. And the steel ones are so much better. I have a bunch of nice stuff at home. Plenty of All Clad and vintage Griswolds and Le Creuset and most of the time I still will use my trusty 5 quart Thunder Group pan. In home use I can't ever imagine peeling a base off. At my last job it happened because of popcorn of all things. We had a popcorn party thing on our banquet menu and we would have to pop fresh popcorn for up to like 1000 people at a time. Easiest way is in batches in giant rondeaus. But in between each batch you have to spray them out with water or the popcorn started burning. You shouldn't spray super hot pans with cold water, but you gotta do what you gotta do. People go crazy for popcorn. Those pans still made it for years and years.

Some of you may recall I just bought an anova oven; I wish I could say that research like this influenced my decision but it did not.

however if I was still on the fence this would merit serious consideration. I do lots of long braising in the oven where I can have it onfor three hours at a time

@Luftmensch , this ones for you!

seriously, I got rid of all my nonstick years ago. The environmental impact of individual decisions we all make, when multiplied by 8 billion people are significant

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/07/1015460605/gas-stove-emissions-climate-change-health-effects

I would love to find a suitable affordable durable alternative for high volume over easy's if anyone has any suggestions. Must work on induction.

At home I am trying one of the new copper composite ones. Seems to be working pretty well but I'm not sure it how would hold up to high volume.

I don't think the bills are the same for both gas and electric is much higher. The house I am in was originally had gas around. The son was an electrician so he had installed electric hot water and an electric dryer. When I moved in, I used it for a few years with those appliances as they were new. I swapped out the electric hot water and gas dryer and my bills went down around $50 per month. My gas bill in Texas around summer time is nothing for 6 or 8 months. Only in the winter does it go up.

My daughter is on the list to get a new house next fall with gas. She does not like the all-electric house she currently has.

I installed a solar hot water system over twenty years ago. It is completely passive; the water moves around by convection. There is a 2 kW booster heater in case there is an extended period of rain. We get 80% of our hot water heated by the sun that way.

Installing solar panels is also a great idea. I installed a system ten years ago and, since then, our house has been a net exporter of electricity. For every kW we import, we export 1.5 kW.

I realise that this isn't an option for everyone. But, if you can do these things in your situation, do. It's good for the planet and saves a ton of money. ROI for a PV system here is around 4-5 years, and less for a solar hot water system.

Last edited:
First, I have lived with crappy electric coil stoves. Yes, I learned to cook on them and have made awesome meals on them.

The house I bought had a smooth glass electric cooktop. I hated that cooktop with a passion I have for few things in life! It simply cooks any food splatters into scorched stains that are very difficult to remove and it always looked dirty, whether cleaned or not.

With electric cooktops and stoves, the biggest problem with heat I have is related to poor wiring that simply cannot deliver enough power to put enough heat into the pan (a lot of what is produced is wasted in kitchen heat).

Natural gas provides responsiveness and is a great visual indicator of heat levels. I dismissed Induction until I went to Europe. I cooked on an AEG induction smooth cooktop that was simply awesome! It also didn't heat up the kitchen because it put all its heat into the pan! For efficiency, it is hard to argue against AEG.

Latest posts

Back