in search of a line knife 210mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kostantinos

Reaction score
I want to hear from the ones that use them on a daily basis or have them in their rotation. the 2 knifes i will need the most in the next couple of months is a smaller gyuto 240 or even 210mm (debating what would work best)and a line suji/petty.

I currently utilize a 270mm as hiromotto wa suji and i had a Glestain suji that mysteriously cracked about 1/2 inch or so from the handle .So its time to upgrade .Just to reference these are my slicing meats in the line ; I use DEBA and Yanagi for fish and they only touch fish .

I am attracted to fujiyama blue and to JKI blue #1 Kagekiyo and for some reason Takeda AS since i like the AS steel.

Jon from JKI needs to be publicly praised repeatedly , btw for always being a voice of reason when it comes to what works best in what environment .:thumbsup:

Well what is in your rotation? What do you use and recommend?

HHH 200mm line knife. It is about the only knife I use when "rocking" the line. If you check the HHH sub forum you may be able to get in on the recent pre buy for said line knife. Hope this helps.

The HHH is good option but i am partial to wa style handles.

That doesn't change the fact this is a killer knife from HHH

I have one of the ones from JNS and use it all the time.

Thanks thats a good lead and a good option . Still wanted to try the Fujiyama series but there is no one that carries it not even the "known" unnamed vendor

Voldemort actually had a white #1 210 mm petty Fujiyama last I looked. Almost got me...

I have several of these by Kato, Kochi, Takeda. Depends if you want the knife to flex, then go for thin ones like Konosuke and Ginga. Also consider the height, for knuckle clearance.

Remember, there are long 180mm knives, and short 210s. Also may want to look at 210 yanigabas, if that would work.

I've always thought a 210 version of the Masamoto KS would be a great line knife...

I am just going to throw Ealy Knives into the mix.

Don't have one of his line knives, but do have a 270 Gyuto from him, and his handles are so comfortable.

I agree with Theory on the JNS option. I got in on the same buy, however, I believe that it was-is a 210mm sujihiki. Really nice knife at a very affordable price.

I have this knife & absolutely love it.

For me though, this is the ultimate veg. slayer. It cuts amazingly well and is so nimble. It's fun to use because it's just a different feel from a gyuto, so it's a nice change of pace. FWIW, I really like the stainless steel used by Ashi Hamono. It sharpens up well and has really good edge retention.

But if you're slicing a lot of proteins with thick crusts, you want want to consider something else. I personally like using a thicker, taller, stiffer gyuto for that purpose. Not saying you couldn't use a laser petty for that. But in the heat of service, I like having something with less flex & more heft. Just me.

I agree with Theory on the JNS option. I got in on the same buy, however, I believe that it was-is a 210mm sujihiki. Really nice knife at a very affordable price.

Petty, suji, same thing essentially at that length. It's a really nice knife for the line. Extremely versatile. Anyone who uses mine wants one immediately.

Not a pro cook at all, but I followed Johns recommendation and got that 210 stainless gesshin ginga (or rather the original ginga, so without the extra hardening and no saya from ashi themselves). Really love it and use it quite a lot as my go to knife in our home kitchen. If you have small hands like me or knuckle clearance isn't that much of a concern for you, you really can't go wrong with that one...

I feel that the best length is actually 220mm for this type of knife to be honest.

ThEoRY suggested something really nice and economical . I think i am gonna try this.

I would still love to get my hands into a konosuke Fujiyama i think the geometry is there and i heard only good things about the blade. Unfortunatelly no one seems to carry any anymore so maybe B/S/T is the next step.

The Itinomonn that Rick recommended is a little longer than the 210mm advertised, or at least mine is. Mine is packed up for a short term loan or I would measure. It has been my daily use knife for months and is still one of my favorites.
Pics:
View attachment 25949
New
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1420938327.522279.jpg
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1420938337.190934.jpg
Five months in

I have a kono Fuji 185 and hate it, only reason I haven't put it up on bst is it has a big chip near the heel, to fix it would make it even narrower than it already is. Maybe the grind works well for gyuto but not petty, steel is nothing to write about, and profile I find annoying.

Much prefer my moritaka 165 (wish it were 190mm) that I call WalMart Takeda lol.

IMAG1999_BURST002-1.jpg

I have since sold the Konosuke Fujiyama and replaced it with a ginsanko Kagekiyo. Kage has been the knife I have been carrying to work, but I use the Heiji a lot at home and have debated swapping them. I liked the Kono for its thinness. The Itinomonn is just a little too short and handle too small for me. Wish it was bigger and wa, might be my favorite. Hard to choose which one I like the most, seems to change with the seasons.

I use all three of my line knives regularly. Triple H general. Ginga detail work. Itomomin carved protein. Maybe 60%, 15%, 25% of the time respectively. :cool2:

Johnnychance How is the Kagekiyo and how do you like it compared to the rest in your rotation? I prefer them on the thinner side with whatever that entails

Panda 185 is a little too narrow and i know that monos run shorter on the fujiyama line .

I'd consider the Kikuichi Elite Carbon. The knives are more robust and suitable for a busy work environment. Handles are rather plain. But the blades are at the sweet spot of hardness, not to hard and not too soft. The carbon on the Kikuichi turns black and bluish quickly enough and does not brown excessively like white or blue steel. If you want carbon you don't have to perpetually wipe the Kikuichi carbon is really nice.

It might be considered middle of the road or lower end, but it is first class tool. I would consider the Kikuichi 270 a great jack of all trades chef knife...if you are mainly slicing things like rib roast/pork loin etc...Great for that and veggie prep.

The Kikuichi i handled seemed clunky to me but it was a gyuto;can't really make your mind comparing a knife style with a different style even from the same maker.
I really enjoyed the AS HiROMOTTO steel even though it requires frequent touch ups and can get a little fatty behind the edge. The cladding also is prone to scratching from my experience. I believe that this can shine maybe with a "SPAtreatment " from DAVE.

I will possibly try the Ittonomon to begin with. I am always debating if a custom is a way to go and how much this will be but honestly being able to do more and be comfortable at work is important. I spend like 80% of my time there i am always on the look for better aprons, better pair of pants , better chef coats, better knifes that will fit current needs . I think its a good trouble to have .

Panda Btw i really appreciate your input . Its very useful that everyone being giving input on this and very helpful , thanks guys.

Back