In search of: "Gin No Tsume" Fish Bone Tweezers

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btbyrd

Reaction score
I'm trying to source a pair of Gin No Tsume tweezers, which are like a tiny, burly set of tongs. I bought a pair from Korin a few years ago and someone recently threw them away by accident. It looks like it's out of stock everywhere. Anyone know where I might find some?

tweezers.jpg

Everything I'm seeing is out of stock, but I can't read Japanese so these search results aren't easy for me to navigate (even with Google Translate). If anyone knows of a vendor (preferably in the US for shipping reasons) that has some in stock, please let me know.

I've also used these! One of my chefs had a set and I got to liking them.

This reminds me of my eternal search for Ippintei Ho Saya. I really like them, but nobody in the US carries them. I had a friend order them and ship them to me from Japan. You'll probably have to go a similar route in the end.

I wasn't sure what an Ippintei Ho saya was so I did a quick search... and all I could find was your previous posts on this forum trying to find one!

Hopefully I'll have some luck one of these days...

i looked into this for a friend a little while back. The company that made these stopped making them. I bought a bunch last time i found some in stock, but haven't seen any since then (and our cleaning crew threw 2 of them away by accident... i was heartbroken).

I use needle nose pliers. I keep a pair with my filet knife for cleaning fish.

i looked into this for a friend a little while back. The company that made these stopped making them. I bought a bunch last time i found some in stock, but haven't seen any since then (and our cleaning crew threw 2 of them away by accident... i was heartbroken).

Sad news indeed! Thanks for letting us know. And I'm sorry for your loss. I can totally relate, unfortunately.

Interesting detail:
There was once a 3rd edition with holes

That one came out at basically the same time I got my hole-less edition. I saw it and thought "Hey! I should get those too!" but then my inner monologue was like "You already own like 12 pairs of culinary tweezers you don't use... do you really need these too?".

I should never listen to myself.

Those are both standard cooking/serving tongs. The functionality is completely different. You wouldn't want to use those to remove pin bones from fish, and it'd be impossible to use the gin no tsume tweezers as serving or cooking tongs.

try get some medical needle guide after Mathieu, from a dump shop or similar...hardened plates, lock mechanism that actually works and small enough to work for fish bones that are not very thick.
Get a proper one, not the Chinese copies that are worthless...expect to pay around 50 bucks new, half that when NOS.

I'm using mine forever, for soldering, in the kitchen, DIY-ing....only issue is, moving them around a lot means looking for them so be prepared to buy more than one.

Back