Incoming: Yoshimi Kato SG2 240 Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeelover191919

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I posted a thread asking for feedback on the Kato SG2 240 gyuto. Some people said it was a good/beautiful knife, some told me the problem with it is the sticky sides, some told me to try a knife outside of Takefu since they're similar to what I have. (I have an Anryu AS 210 gyuto, Masamoto SW 240, Yoshihiro Mizu Yaki AS 210 gyuto )

I pulled the trigger tonight and we'll see if I made the right choice. I got a very good deal on it. Below all advertised prices and from a reputable website, brand new.

To address the sticky sides, do you guys think some strokes on a leather strop loaded with green compound will work? I'm thinking 10-20 minute increments until my desired smoothness.

Also, does anyone have any cool Saya recommendations that won't break the bank? I normally store my knives on a Woodsom magnetic strip, but if I store them away or travel, I realized a Saya is the safest way. Leather sayas seem like a cool idea...

0000 steel wool. Autosol or simichrome. The leather strop will probably work, depending on it's give, it may be a little troublesome. But doable.

How about barkeepers friend to smooth out the Damascus siding? Will that change the look of the knife?

Knife came in good condition and so did the Saya! First time ordering from KnS! Saya is great!

Touched up the knife on the Shapton 2000 after a day of use prepping for a party and it's now shaving sharp.

Attachments

• 20201011_220253.jpg
    20201011_220253.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 52
Back