Inexpensive carbon knives with Wa handle recommendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rick alen

Reaction score
Something in line with the Masahiro VC, but Wa handle.

Again, something like the Masahiro VC, or Misono Swedish for that matter. I guess from there iron or stainless clad. Not a work horse like the Uraku.

Tanakas. The nashiji ones are the thinnest I believe, but those are stainless clad, there's the KU and Damascus all reactive ones but I remember Jane's from k&s telling me those are thicker.

Yeh the Tanakas are a bit more pricy, ideally Masahiro would just produce a Wa handled version. Thanks guys

They don't make Wa (japanese/eastern) Handles
on "western" (french/eurpean) knife profiles.

If you want a light bolsterless handle
however, they do make them as you wish,
cheap and cheerful, as Masahiro "Bessaku For Home"....see, eg

s-l300.jpg

BTW, the knife is not for me, an individual asked for essentially a Wa handled version of his Misono Swedish. The coffin-handled Masahiro isn't going to make it for him, he wants the full look.

You might also be able to squeeze something like an Aritsugo
direct, but rumor is these come un-sharpened and un-thinned.

It is very popular with overseas customers.

A Japanese style [cow] sword

Selling price: 12,000 Yen (excluding tax) [$110+shipping]
Related categories: A Japanese style knife

This kitchen knife is our original knife made by thinking not to rust sharp edges as much as possible, mixing rust resistant ingredients into steel knives and thinking not to rust as much as possible. Japanese style craftsman will be a Japanese style cowbread so that you can use it. However, since the kitchen knife is inserted into a Japanese style handle, the part of the handle becomes thin and the weight, It becomes somewhat lighter compared to Western knife. Because it is a universal type with Japanese style kitchen knife, it is very popular with overseas customers.

The size becomes a blade-length.

Panda, he definitely wants carbon, and something better than the Misono.

Ya the Tadafusa is getting closer to the price range. And I take it the F+F is better than the lower price Tanakas?

Or this if you want Blue # 2 steel: http://epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=91019

Don't know where they make these knives, they are sold under several different names. The Blue Moon is the same knife best price for 210mm 100.00. But chestnut handle comes with resin collar. Not bad handle just a personal thing like horn. They may not be what he is looking for it is a thicker workhorse blade. Because they are so thick in the spine & the nashiji potatoes just fall off them. They are good cutters don't have to baby them. One of the best cheap knives IMO.

OK thanks Guys, I'll see how the last couple carbons flies here, they sound good.

Back