Instant Noodle Recommendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got these two in the mail yesterday. Look for
IMG_2635.jpg
IMG_2633.jpg
ward to trying them out.

Of widely available non-fried noodles, Prima Taste's curry la mein (ra-men) from Singapore is my favorite. The flavor profile is obviously oriented toward spice and curry, but the noodles are tip-top. The Laksa is very tasty too, but very shrimp-forward. It will definitely release a shrimpy aroma wherever you cook it, so probably not the best choice for the office or wherever. The noodles are also substantial so they take 7 minutes to cook -- so they're somewhat-less-than-instant instant noodles. These are top rated by Ramen Rater. Another non-fried favorite are Nissin's Raoh noodles. I like the miso variety.

I picked up a mix pack (4 each) of the Prima curry and Laksa. Had the curry for lunch today. That was a good bowl of noodles.

Most of the forums here at KKF i'm out of my league, but I got something to share. When i was growing up Cup-o-Noodle Shrimp was the sh!t and in college my friends helped me diversify. I've had a lot of the super cheap ones and in the end it's hard for me to do the American marketed stuff. If i'm going to get 50% of my daily intake of sodium, it's gotta be different and good. Life is too short to eat Nissan Top Ramen Chicken flavor (instead do Nissan Raoh).

There's two that come to mind for me.

The first is kind of classic Myojo-Chukazanmai Shoyu. It's got good depth, good noodles, not offensive. That might be the problem, but it does such a good job. It's the smooth character of ramen. It's that good, but for $2+ a pack, i hesitate unless it's on sale. They have other flavors but they don't seem to standout. Always an egg, sometimes scallions, plus whatever chashu...
View attachment 81080(credit amazon)

The second is Neoguri Spicy Seafood- a massive flavor bomb of fishy-iness, shellfish and spicy goodness. It's really salty, in a good way and will have you reaching for a pitcher of water or a couple pints of OB/Hite. No need to bring your own seaweed/kombu since it's in the favor pack! It's not for everybody, particularly if you have an aversion to seafood or heat. It's not as hot as could be, but it hits the right spot and you can make it more potent by more goodies or water. Always an egg- sometimes scallions and whatever- i like shrimp that i cook separately and then throw on top.
View attachment 81081(credit instacart)
i love that miso one. didnt care for the other flavors too much.

@Danzo- Is there some secret to cooking the noodles when they're frozen, maybe to simmer? I was a bit a sleep at the wheel and over cooked noodles. don't think i was away for more than a couple minutes. Flavor pack was pretty good. Graphics are terrible compared to post above. I see the potential.

IMG_5433.jpg

@Danzo- Is there some secret to cooking the noodles when they're frozen, maybe to simmer? I was a bit a sleep at the wheel and over cooked noodles. don't think i was away for more than a couple minutes. Flavor pack was pretty good. Graphics are terrible compared to post above. I see the potential.

View attachment 83804
I would let it thaw before boiling. The 24s noodles cook in about 60-70 seconds in a rolling boil from thaw.

The Sun noodles I used to buy were dyed yellow with riboflaven and would turn the cooking water bright yellow. And they smelled like vitamins (like enriched bread). I loved the texture, but hated the aroma and color. They make a bunch of formulations though. In any event, the store I used to buy them from was a 2 hour round trip from me, so I'd buy them in bulk and freeze them; always thaw before cooking.

I just tried this one:
View attachment 82279
Yes, this is definitely on the very hot end of the spectrum!
ABC just published an article saying that "Denmark's food agency has recalled a popular South Korean instant ramen noodles brand, claiming they are so hot they might cause "acute poisoning"."
  • In short: Food authorities in Denmark have recalled three types of Samyang spicy instant noodle imported from South Korea over possible health risks.
  • The products became famous on social media as influencers engaged in online food challenges to eat the spicy noddle.
  • Samyang Foods said it was the first time the company's products had been recalled because they were deemed too hot.

Back