International passaround

Discussion in 'Isasmedjan' started by Isasmedjan, Nov 2, 2018.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Jan 23, 2019 #31

Jville

Jville

Jville

I can tell you right now just by looking at it. It's no laser, so don't be worried by that.

2. Feb 4, 2019 #32

Jville

Jville

Jville

I sent this last week, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what Matt Conlan's forum name is. If anyone knows it, can you send it to me. It's on it's way to Calfornia. Great knife, thanks for including me. I'll post some more thoughts on it soon.

3. Feb 8, 2019 #33

mc2442

mc2442

mc2442

Supporting Member

Forgot to post this yesterday but I received the knife safely, thanks Jville. I will use it over the weekend and get it in the mail to the next person on Monday.

4. Feb 11, 2019 #34

mc2442

mc2442

mc2442

Supporting Member

I got it in the mail this morning to Barmoley. I should have kept it for another day or two and touched it up as it needs sharpening, but I preferred to not mess with another's knife.

Even though it needs to be sharpened, it was sharp enough to get a feel for it. It has good geometry and cutting was never an issue, even in some decently thick carrots. I liked the forward weighted balance and weight of the knife. I made some chicken soup with lots of veggies and it performed well with everything and the food release was pretty good. I did not have the reactivity issue that I saw in an earlier picture, but as a home cook I don't have long stretches of cutting like I am sure most pros do so I was able to keep it clean and dry most of the time.

Thank you for letting me participate in this!

Matt

tk59 and Isasmedjan like this.
  5. Feb 12, 2019 #35

Isasmedjan

Isasmedjan

Isasmedjan

Professional Craftsman

DD77FB99-3A89-476D-A42B-C6B4698E7CC0.png 4D134382-96CC-4C2D-B9B7-5ABB8756AB66.png Thanks Matt! Glad to hear that you enjoyed it!

I post a couple of pics of the feedback o got from Rick (Pensacola tiger) in the mail the other day. My technical skills using my phone is limited so i couldn’t get copy/paste to work properly :rolleyes:

tk59 likes this.
  6. Feb 13, 2019 #36

Barmoley

Barmoley

Barmoley

Supporting Member

The knife arrived safely. Will give it some work out and pass it along.

Thanks for the opportunity.

Isasmedjan likes this.
  7. Feb 23, 2019 #37

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

Received the knife today. OOTB impressions: looks well ground, nice profile, pretty patina. Good weight and balance.

8. Feb 23, 2019 #38

Dhoff

Dhoff

Dhoff

Any possibility of a picture?

9. Feb 23, 2019 #39

Barmoley

Barmoley

Barmoley

Supporting Member

My impressions of the knife after I used it for a week.

The knife is a solid mid-weight. Looking at the original pictures I thought that the profile would not work for me because it looked very flat and even though I like flat knives, I was concerned that the tip would be too close to the board. I was wrong. The profile is very nice and works very well for me. The knife has very good balance and overall weight. The balance is blade forward which I like, but not too much where it feels heavy, it is just right for me in the pinch grip. By the time the knife got to me it settled down so that I didn't experience the reactivity that was seen in the beginning. I cut tomatoes, onions, green onions, garlic with it and it didn't react abnormally, if anything it was less reactive than "normal", iron clad, carbon knives. By the time I got it there was already patina on it, so this most likely explains the lower than expected reactivity. The knife is ground pretty thin above the edge, it is slightly concave right above the edge which transitions into smooth shoulders. There is good distal tapper toward the tip, so the tip is thin enough and cut onions well. The knife has better than average food release. There was some cracking when cutting sweet potatoes and carrots, the cut started well but the shoulder transition seemed to cause the cracking even though the transition is very smooth. This only happened when I cut thick pieces of carrots and sweet potatoes as in cutting an inch thick piece from the rest of the potato. When making sweet potato chips I was cutting very thin pieces and in this situation cracking didn't occur. Going through normal potatoes posed no issues.

If I had to compare performance to a somewhat known benchmark, I would say that it is somewhere between Gengetsu and Gesshin Heiji. Food release is better than Gengetsu but not as good as Heiji. Going through hard produce is not as smooth as Gengetsu, but better than Heiji, without wedging but with some cracking as described above. Edge holding seemed good, I didn't experience any chipping or deformations of the edge. The edge responded well to a touch up on high grid stone. I didn't use the knife long enough to really determine how good or bad the edge holding is. The handle even though very basic was comfortable for me. This was the main feeling throughout my use of the knife, it is a very comfortable knife to use. I think it would make a good general purpose gyuto. I liked it enough that I ordered a very similar knife for myself.

tk59, Kippington and labor of love like this.
  10. Mar 3, 2019 #40

Isasmedjan

Isasmedjan

Isasmedjan

Professional Craftsman

FYI, I almost forgot, Gjackson98 (Jackson Guo) had to skip the passaround due to travelling. He was between Noah Butler and Al Large on the list.

Gjackson98 likes this.
  11. Mar 9, 2019 #41

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

Barmoley wrote a terrific description for this knife. My sentiments echo his.
    I’ll also add that I was really impressed how easily this pretty thick blade moved through food. Very very impressive grind. I was worried the whole time I was going to chip the tip because it requires very little pressure.
    The knife took on patina, but it was very stable not really reactive just slowly developing through use. It’s very easy to maintain and removing it took hardly anytime.
    The 54mm x 225mm size is really comfortable in use. Unlike every single 210mm knife I’ve ever used this knife seemed to have just enough length to get stuff done and never really felt too small.
    Steel sharpens up quick, gets plenty sharp.
    The only real critical thing I can say is that I think I might like the tip more if the shape had more to it. Little less ktip looking and more traditional where the tip starts to come down to the edge farther back. Like, the last 20mm or so is when the tip forms.
    Does that even make sense?
    I’m splitting hairs here.
    Either way, from the prices I hear Isasmedjan charges for his work. I think these are a great deal.
    Can someone get with me about where this knife goes next?
    Thanks again for letting me participate!

Kippington and Isasmedjan like this.
  12. Mar 9, 2019 #42

McMan

McMan

McMan

I'm next. Will PM ya.
    After me, there is an address but only a partial name... Calling Jackson in Cincy... Can you please PM me your name so I can get this to you once I'm done. Thanks.

13. Mar 9, 2019 #43

Isasmedjan

Isasmedjan

Isasmedjan

Professional Craftsman

Jackson had to pass the passaround due to travelling, next in line after you are Al Large (cheflarge here i believe)

14. Mar 9, 2019 #44

cheflarge

cheflarge

cheflarge

That is I.

15. Mar 9, 2019 #45
    I thought I was in for a repeat????

:cool:

16. Mar 9, 2019 #46

Barmoley

Barmoley

Barmoley

Supporting Member

You complained about reactivity too much....no soup for you:D

labor of love and cheflarge like this.
  17. Mar 10, 2019 #47

Gjackson98

Gjackson98

Gjackson98

Sorry for the super late response, I am out due to business trips coming up, cheers guys!

18. Mar 18, 2019 #48

cheflarge

cheflarge

cheflarge

Anyone know the current status?

19. Mar 18, 2019 #49

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

On its way to Mcman

Isasmedjan likes this.
  20. Mar 22, 2019 #50

McMan

McMan

McMan

Landed today. Thanks!
    Got bronchitis, so out of it for the weekend. Should get to it during the week though. Looking forward to it!

21. Mar 22, 2019 #51

Isasmedjan

Isasmedjan

Isasmedjan

Professional Craftsman

Thanks for the notice! Have fun with it :)
    Wish you a fast recovery!

22. Mar 31, 2019 #52

McMan

McMan

McMan

On the way to Cheflarge... Sent it out today.
    Fun knife for sure! Thanks for giving me the chance to try it out.
    I'll be along shortly with some thoughts (though I don't think I have too much unique to add at this point :)).

23. Mar 31, 2019 #53

McMan

McMan

McMan

Well, I don’t have much to add beyond echoing what’s been said so far… The knife is very capable and performed well but it was also fun to use—the tip was whisper-thin and there was still some meat at the heel (more convex) which helped with food release. Really, I was most impressed with how thin the tip was ground—super agile without feeling overly flexy or delicate. For me, the versatility is what made the knife fun to use—the ability to plough through thicker product but also to be really capable with detail work. I too saw some parallels to (old-version) Gengestsu.

By way of constructive split-hairs, I agree that a traditional/classic tip shape would be cool, but this is just my taste in aesthetics. The tip profile shape reminded me of a Watanabe, with the late-steep downward sweep. Then again, maybe this is a pipe-dream because the added meat behind the tip may be necessary to add rigidity because the grind is so nicely thin. One thing I wouldn’t mind is a bit taller emoto. It was 20mm; 22-24 mm would be comfy, especially since the knife balances so well already; this would also make the handle taller at the ferrule, which could be nice.

Thanks again for the chance. Keep up the good work man!!

24. Mar 31, 2019 #54

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

I didn’t like the tip shape visually, but I think my hang up was for aesthetic reasons it functioned so well.

25. Mar 31, 2019 #55

cheflarge

cheflarge

cheflarge

Cool. I'll be looking for it.

26. Apr 2, 2019 #56

cheflarge

cheflarge

cheflarge

The eagle has landed.

27. Apr 3, 2019 #57

Isasmedjan

Isasmedjan

Isasmedjan

Professional Craftsman

Perfect! :)

28. Apr 14, 2019 #58

cheflarge

cheflarge

cheflarge

Who is next in line to receive this KILLER cutter?

29. Apr 14, 2019 #59

Isasmedjan

Isasmedjan

Isasmedjan

Professional Craftsman

After you it’s Kevin Mandeville (Kcmande here on KKF) i’ll email you the adress!
    Kevin is the last one in US before it’s headed for Australia (quick pitstop with me first) :)

30. Apr 14, 2019 #60

cheflarge

cheflarge

cheflarge

Should ship early- mid week.